Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The expensive price of fruit in UK.

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Aww mum I'm hungry oh ok just wait like 20 mins to deforst lol so funny

In the other thread you were talking about the importance of cooking whole meals compared to buying ready meals. Now you are saying that defrosting vegetables (which can be done in the microwave in no time, or cooked from frozen) takes too long?

I'm glad my comments are amusing and ridiculous to you, however, I am simply trying to offer the perspective that there are a variety of nutrient dense foods that can be quite economical if you find the fresh produce to be cost prohibitive.
    Your not getting what I am saying. So please listen. You can not buy full apples or oranges bananas! Why should we not be able to go to the supermarket and by full fresh produce cheaper. People shouldn't have to settle for frozen. And in uk can only get frozen berrys which isn't all the goodness u need.

Take it up with your government? I'm not sure how random strangers from other countries are going to be able to help you.
  • Ammey68
    Ammey68 Posts: 65 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mostly, I'm here for the entertainment of the argument. However, I did think of another suggestion- a store near my work sells dried strawberries and apples for about $1.50, and I've seen different types of dried fruit in other stores as well. It is actually more expensive per serving, but I like it since it doesn't expire (meaning I actually spend less in the long run, since it doesn't end up being wasted).

Edit to add: Plus, in my opinion, dried fruit tastes a lot better than frozen.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    And actually it's 7 a day but the government thought aww good people won't do 7 so told people 5 cause knew people couldn't afford 7 a day

5-7 fruit a day?! That's a lot of calories. Isn't 5-7 fruit and vegetables?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lidl
    Aldi
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Since the OP never returned to explain the premise of their statement (it wasn't a question), it's difficult for anyone to objectively discuss "what should be done". Some questions that may frame a productive discussion:
    1. Is the price of fruit expensive compared to other European markets?
    2. Is the price of fruit expensive in the metropolitan centers and less expensive in the rural areas?
    3. Is the distribution of fruit to retail markets controlled by a small number of companies?
    4. Is the majority of fruit imported or domestically grown?
    5. Is the importation of fruit heavily regulated? Is there a tariff on fruit imports?
    6. Has the Brexit vote caused uncertainty UK access to EU food markets?
    7. Is the cost of transport within the UK very high? Is this due to high petrol taxes? High trucking costs?
    8. Many more questions may be involved not even considered above.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    And actually it's 7 a day but the government thought aww good people won't do 7 so told people 5 cause knew people couldn't afford 7 a day

5-7 fruit a day?! That's a lot of calories. Isn't 5-7 fruit and vegetables?

Yes, this was my understanding.

I am trying to have a rational discussion but in order to do that, it is helpful to make sure we are using the same basic data points and measurements (difficult knowing we are all in different countries, different currency, units of measure, etc). That is why I have asked clarifying questions in this thread as well as another to make sure the comparisons are as normalized as possible. Every time I have offered a couple of suggestions I've been laughed at and told my comments are clearly ridiculous because I must know nothing about fruit or packing a school lunch or feeding a family on a budget.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You don't need 5 portions of just fruit. That would equal more than half your calorie intake of you are restricting calories
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You don't need 5 portions of just fruit. That would equal more than half your calorie intake of you are restricting calories
    Indeed... and when someone needs at least 100g of protein per day, calorie restriction with that much fruit will kill calorie restriction. It leaves not much room for fat.