Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The expensive price of fruit in UK.

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What does this have to do with the price? I'm pretty sure we're aware what a serving of fruits and vegetables is.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    There are tons of affordable fruits and vegetables though. I know you hate frozen but there are tons of options.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    And we need 5 a day so how do u suggest getting that 5 a day? That's one full portion I'm talkin about cheap of a family of say 3 or 4 frozen ain't gonna cut. They need to bring price down

Vegetables are a better choice than fruit for nutrition, and frozen vegetables are a great deal.

Fruit where I live is cheaper IN SEASON. I don't blame the gov't or stores for the fact that a good bit of the year isn't a great growing season for fruit (and is never a good growing season for some things, like bananas or mangoes or avocados). I'm just lucky to live in a time and place where those things are available to me anyway. They aren't necessary for health.

As I posted on the other thread, I can get 3 lbs of apples for $2.99.

As for "mom, I'm hungry," don't you plan ahead? Cooking frozen veg (which have more nutrients out of season than veg that have been carted in from far away) is hardly the most time-consuming part of making dinner.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    You don't have to eat fresh. Frozen and canned is acceptable too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat fresh. Frozen and canned is acceptable too.

You must have missed how my earlier suggestion of this was laughed off because when a kid is hungry no one wants to wait 20 minutes. I was also informed that you can't buy frozen whole apples, bananas, or oranges. Silly me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wonder how people survived in the UK before bananas and oranges were imported.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I wonder how people survived in the UK before bananas and oranges were imported.

Limes
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Limes

NO SCURVY FOR YOU!!!
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I'm sure you can eat more than 1 serving of something and it still counts.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    What happens if you only get 4?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's amazing that people managed to live at all in the days before refrigeration, breeding, and high speed transportation made fresh fruits/vegetables available year round in nearly all parts of the world at any cost period.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    :) Potatoes lol no joking aside though berrys frozen here which is classed as one of 5 a day. You need to eat 5 different options a day for it to count

Count for what? I think it is admirable that you are striving to meet the recommended nutritional guidelines but you seem to be implying that there is some oversight committee who is checking off to make sure that each individual gets the appropriate servings of fruits and vegetables and that only certain things "count".
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    :) Potatoes lol no joking aside though berrys frozen here which is classed as one of 5 a day. You need to eat 5 different options a day for it to count

Count for what? I think it is admirable that you are striving to meet the recommended nutritional guidelines but you seem to be implying that there is some oversight committee who is checking off to make sure that each individual gets the appropriate servings of fruits and vegetables and that only certain things "count".

There's a dude that lives with me and reports on my eating habits. The government has had me on their hit list for a while now...