Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The expensive price of fruit in UK.

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I wonder how people survived in the UK before bananas and oranges were imported.

Limes

How much do they cost? Maybe OP can eat them.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm sure you can eat more than 1 serving of something and it still counts.

Pretty sure. If not, I'm glad my ancestors made the trek across the Atlantic, as it seems to make you more hardy.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    :) Potatoes lol no joking aside though berrys frozen here which is classed as one of 5 a day. You need to eat 5 different options a day for it to count

Count for what? I think it is admirable that you are striving to meet the recommended nutritional guidelines but you seem to be implying that there is some oversight committee who is checking off to make sure that each individual gets the appropriate servings of fruits and vegetables and that only certain things "count".

There's a dude that lives with me and reports on my eating habits. The government has had me on their hit list for a while now...

It's Obama, right?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    :) Potatoes lol no joking aside though berrys frozen here which is classed as one of 5 a day. You need to eat 5 different options a day for it to count

Count for what? I think it is admirable that you are striving to meet the recommended nutritional guidelines but you seem to be implying that there is some oversight committee who is checking off to make sure that each individual gets the appropriate servings of fruits and vegetables and that only certain things "count".

There's a dude that lives with me and reports on my eating habits. The government has had me on their hit list for a while now...

It's Obama, right?

I'm in Canada. Trudeau minion...
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I wonder how people survived in the UK before bananas and oranges were imported.

Limes

This will give you two of your five a day:

https://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs?t=169
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

It's Obama, right?

What would Brian Boitano do?
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

It's Obama, right?

Oh great. Now I'm singing the Brian Boitano song.... :s
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

It's Obama, right?

His reaction would be different than Tonya Harding's, for sure.

All the points for the South Park reference though! Gotta love those floppy Canadian heads.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lassiela wrote: »
    Aww mum I'm hungry oh ok just wait like 20 mins to deforst lol so funny

In the other thread you were talking about the importance of cooking whole meals compared to buying ready meals. Now you are saying that defrosting vegetables (which can be done in the microwave in no time, or cooked from frozen) takes too long?

I'm glad my comments are amusing and ridiculous to you, however, I am simply trying to offer the perspective that there are a variety of nutrient dense foods that can be quite economical if you find the fresh produce to be cost prohibitive.
    Your not getting what I am saying. So please listen. You can not buy full apples or oranges bananas! Why should we not be able to go to the supermarket and by full fresh produce cheaper. People shouldn't have to settle for frozen. And in uk can only get frozen berrys which isn't all the goodness u need.

Talk to someone in the grocery/food/logistics industries and they can explain to you why it generally costs more to get fresh fruits and veggies to stores in an island nation with a less than ideal climate for growing many crops.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am happy with some of the prices posted on page one as well! I am in rural Manitoba and about 150km in any direction from a larger shopping Center. I pay:

$5.99 for a bag of Granny Smith apples 8 apples per bag
    $1.99/grapefruit
    $1/lemon or lime
    $4/pkg of 3 kiwi
    $4/350gm pkg of spinach
    $6-9/head of cauliflower
    $3/avocado
    $12/8lb bag of red potatoes
    $5/500ml tub of geek yogurt

Food is crazy high prices! I have never seen low priced frozen fruit or veg. Dried and canned are usually high prices and all sweetened anyway. If I did not raise all my own meat(beef, lamb, chicken, turkey) and garden in the summer I would be starving! We are a family of five. No way we could even afford to be vegetarian around here. Lol.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @youngmomtaz I see a profitable future in hydroponics where you live.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    [
    Aww mum I'm hungry oh ok just wait like 20 mins to deforst lol so funny

Lassiela[/quote]In the other thread you were talking about the importance of cooking whole meals compared to buying ready meals. Now you are saying that defrosting vegetables (which can be done in the microwave in no time, or cooked from frozen) takes too long?

I'm glad my comments are amusing and ridiculous to you, however, I am simply trying to offer the perspective that there are a variety of nutrient dense foods that can be quite economical if you find the fresh produce to be cost prohibitive.[/quote]
    Your not getting what I am saying. So please listen. You can not buy full apples or oranges bananas! Why should we not be able to go to the supermarket and by full fresh produce cheaper. People shouldn't have to settle for frozen. And in uk can only get frozen berrys which isn't all the goodness u need.
    [/quote]

Sorry I have messed up the quote a bit.

Which part of the Uk can you ONLY get frozen berries?
    I buy fresh from any supermarket or green grocer here. It is more expensive than say apples, bananas or pears but 1 banana is 12p, an apple 32p and a pear 38p. A punnet of berries at £2 could last 3 days.
    That's at a supermarket like Tesco/Sainsburys, a grocers or market would be cheaper. It's hardly exorbitant. And it helps if you try to buy what's in season.
    Sure it'd be nice if it was cheaper but guess as we import a lot of it that the extra costs get factored in.

• dietcepheus
    dietcepheus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think the prices for fruit and veg here are very reasonable. The more exotic or out-of-season fruits can be quite expensive, as well as berries (which must be hand-picked and are harder to transport). Even then, you can get a bag of oranges and a pineapple for like £2 total in the average supermarket.

Stick with your basic fruits - apples, pears, bananas, oranges (and tangerines, satsumas etc.) - and don't neglect the vegetable section. Carrots and celery are cheap and can make a healthy snack. As can cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Look in the reduced section first.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There's a reason economics is often called the "dismal science".
  • jak2772
    jak2772 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We're an import island with little to no tropical temperatures it pretty much explains why your bananas cost 18p to move from a country the other side of the world
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    A quid for a bag of apples/oranges/bananas is not expensive. Berries are a little more expensive, yeah, but they are only about as expensive as a box of muffins or big bag of crisps.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I think aside from Berries and more "seasonal" fruits, the rest are rather reasonable.
    Apples, bananas, oranges are found all year round at a reasonable price.

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    A quid for a bag of apples/oranges/bananas is not expensive. Berries are a little more expensive, yeah, but they are only about as expensive as a box of muffins or big bag of crisps.

you can get 4 muffins for £1.
    Berries usually ranges from £2-£4