Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Saw this on FB, and thought it was kind of interesting.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

"The quiz is part of a nationwide survey, conducted March 7-10 among 1,006 adults, which also probed opinions and perceptions about science and math in education. The survey was conducted with Smithsonian magazine for an edition focusing on STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education (see “How Much Do Americans Know about Science?”)."

My results:

"You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly."

"You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%."
    Same. It's interesting that some of the answers were pretty obvious and were answered wrong by a majority of participants.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I like how the Dutch have a yearly IQ show on TV. That way you can know how dumb you are on an annual bases.

13/13 . Fracking, drug testing and global warming. I'm not sure if this is a science or current events quiz.

If you looked at the full report summary, the grouped the questions into two categories, one being "science in the news." All of those questions were answered correctly by at least 50% of the people. The question that surprised me the most was that only 48% responded correctly to the one about lasers working by focusing sound waves.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My results:

Same.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    12 out of 13... i haven't had to remember atomic makeup for about 20 years.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    13 of 13. Easy peasy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Yesterday at Barnes and Nobles, I looked at a book called "Freakonomics" and how the name of a child correlated with the income of their parents. Funny as hell, but I found some truth to it. And it was in the science section.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/04/08/how-much-does-your-name-matter-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I like how the Dutch have a yearly IQ show on TV. That way you can know how dumb you are on an annual bases.

13/13 . Fracking, drug testing and global warming. I'm not sure if this is a science or current events quiz.

If you looked at the full report summary, the grouped the questions into two categories, one being "science in the news." All of those questions were answered correctly by at least 50% of the people. The question that surprised me the most was that only 48% responded correctly to the one about lasers working by focusing sound waves.

I didn't even read the summary... but

soundl12.jpg

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/sound-lasers-phasers/
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    easy quiz... here's an old engineering interview question for the OP.

let's say you are sitting in a canoe in the middle of a swimming pool and you can measure its' level on the side of the pool. in that canoe with you is a cinder block. if you held up that cinder block and dropped it into the water, what will happen to the water level and why?

this gets asked often of new grads just to see how well they reason.

I'm hardly engineer material, but it is an interesting question.

I'm going to say that the water level would stay the same. I think the mass of the cinder block being added to the pool would normally increase the water level, but now there is also less water being displaced by the canoe itself, so I think it would even out.

How wrong was I, and what did I not win?

hint: consider the densities of the 2 materials... cinder block vs. water.

Silly rabbit. Cinder blocks float.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    13/13 the only question i could give a person a pass for is the fracking question. im always amazed at people that dont know basic science.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I am skeptical of the claim that so many people did so poorly on this test. I found it to be extremely easy and many of the questioned involved nothing more than common sense.

ScienceQuiz_zps5e3ff248.png
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You answered 12 of 13 questions correctly.

You scored better than 85% of the public, below 7% and the same as 8%.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    13 softball pitches....

How about something hard?

Even the canoe question took me only 30 seconds of application of scientific principles to nail down.

The cinder block is (at least I have to assume, since most cinder blocks I've seen will sink) more dense than the water. While in the canoe, the cinder block will, through for force it exerts on the water via the surface of the canoe, displace the amount of water to equal to its weight, which in this case would be a volume of water that is MORE than the volume of the block itself. When the block is in the water, the block can only displace the amount of water that is EQUAL to its volume. Therefore, the water level will go down.

This is SCIENCE people!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "You answered 14 of 13 questions correctly."

"You scored better than 124% of the public and the same as -4%."
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Yep. My 10 year old just got 10 out of 13. The force is strong with this one.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I copied off the Asian kid...
    ... oh wait.... that's me.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

My results:

Same. These are very easy questions. The results aren't too bad for the population, though. I was expecting worse (I teach college gen chem and have little faith in high school science education).
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I thought it was interesting that women scored proportionally better on the healthcare questions (antibiotics, drug testing, ultraviolet light) than the others
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    :tongue: :devil: wow, lots of dummies don't know the makeup of the atmosphere.

they should have included "air" as one of the choices ("hot air" if the quiz was being given in D.C.)

There's no air in DC, only water vapor and exhaust.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I copied off the Asian kid...
    ... oh wait.... that's me.

ROR!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old girl just scored 12/13.