Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz

Options

Replies

• Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    13 out of 13... is this for real, how can so many people score so poorly.
    These questions were more common sense than scientific knowledge.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I sent this quiz out to the people I work with. I work at a science center, but I can guarantee there are a few who probably couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, let alone answer some of these questions. I think that they'd do even worse on a quiz about common sense. I swear, one dingbat didn't know that oil floated on water. :noway:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    100% Baby! I think this is basic high school science knowledge though. Fun little quiz though, and I like seeing the comparisons. Imma gonna post this on FB just to once again remind my family and friends how giant my brain is....I kid I kid (sort of).
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I found it satisfying that there were laser questions on a Pew web site.

Pew pew pew!

Bwahahahahaha!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I have a feeling if I ask the fiance to take it he wont score very high. :grumble:
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I sent this quiz out to the people I work with. I work at a science center, but I can guarantee there are a few who probably couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, let alone answer some of these questions. I think that they'd do even worse on a quiz about common sense. I swear, one dingbat didn't know that oil floated on water. :noway:

I know for sure my supervisor missed four. Another guy missed three. Oh goodness.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My results:

"You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly."

"You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%."
    Same here. The questions are fairly trivial if you have the slightest interest in science, but I do still despair for the percentage of the population illustrated by the lower ends of the graph.

Ditto... all fairly obvious, I thought! :bigsmile:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I thought it was interesting that women scored proportionally better on the healthcare questions (antibiotics, drug testing, ultraviolet light) than the others

It is no secret that women excel more in the biolgoical sciences than the physical sciences and engineering.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I thought it was interesting that women scored proportionally better on the healthcare questions (antibiotics, drug testing, ultraviolet light) than the others

It is no secret that women excel more in the biolgoical sciences than the physical sciences and engineering.

You mean some women.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Are you seriously suggesting that women's performance in the sciences has anything to do with how anyone does on this quiz? This stuff is covered in middle school.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yesterday at Barnes and Nobles, I looked at a book called "Freakonomics" and how the name of a child correlated with the income of their parents. Funny as hell, but I found some truth to it. And it was in the science section.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/04/08/how-much-does-your-name-matter-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

That's one of my favourite books! I love the section about names... Winner, Loser, LemonJello, Orangello .... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I know for sure my supervisor missed four. Another guy missed three. Oh goodness.

Oh my gosh, that is scary. I do not even want to know what science center you work at. Anyone that works in the science field should be ashamed for missing any of those questions.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Are you seriously suggesting that women's performance in the sciences has anything to do with how anyone does on this quiz? This stuff is covered in middle school.

Um, no, I'm seriously referring to the well established fact that there are fewer female chemists, physicists, and engineers than there are female biologists.

I would know, I am a female chemist.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

You mean some women.

I'm talking relative populations.
  • Get_Fit_With_V
    Options
    They were too easy, I thought they were trick questions, lol.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Um, no, I'm seriously referring to the well established fact that there are fewer female chemists, physicists, and engineers than there are female biologists.

I would know, I am a female chemist.

Fantastic. Then perhaps you can explain to me the logic of why the number of female chemists, physicists and engineers and biologists should have anything to do with how your average phone survey respondent performs on a quiz with 13 questions that tests middle school knowledge.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I got 11/13...but one of the ones I got wrong I wanted to go back and change. The other one I got wrong I flat out didn't know.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Fantastic. Then perhaps you can explain to me the logic of why the number of female chemists, physicists and engineers and biologists should have anything to do with how your average phone survey respondent performs on a quiz with 13 questions that tests middle school knowledge.

It's pretty simple. The percentage of women who take an active interest in the health and biological scientists is higher than the percentage that take an interest in physical sciences. They are statistically more likely to have taken a relevant course in college/high school, and statistically more likely to have picked up a book/magazine/watched a history special on those topics.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    13/13. Quiz seemed awfully easy...
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options

You mean some women.

Ahem... :drinker: :bigsmile:
    ROR

*snort*

As an aside, I've always been fascinated with engineering and fancy I would have made a good one....except that I hate math. Advanced mathematics made my eyes bleed....