Opinion from the serious lifters

Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You can substitute the upright row with the high pull, particularly DB version, and get the same results without compromising the shoulder so I would go with those. Flies are ok if you keep your elbows bent and don't go past 180 degrees to your shoulder joint; you don't need to do the deep stretch, but it's safer just to do a DB press bringing the arms in if you have any doubts.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    These lifts have been blamed for putting the shoulder in an unnatural position causing "shoulder/rotator cuff at risk of impingement"

If done correctly, and you have no pre-existing shoulder problems, they should be fine. But i'd do a machine pec fly, because of the smoother resistance curve. And dumbbell side raises will hit the lateral deltoids better, if that's what you're trying to do.
    mreichard wrote: »
    Mark Rippetoe (whose videos have really helped me) was very clear --- "f@ck barbell rows." As I understood it, he thinks they are at best an accessory lift and that they don't help much. Another article comparing them to power cleans concluded that bb rows are good for building muscle mass and strength.

Obviously rows can build mass & strength. In terms of functionality, the rowing movement is much more likely to be encountered outside the gym than flinging something vertically from the floor up to your shoulders. The power clean is a specialized, advanced exercise that shouldn't be in a book called "Starting Strength". :+1:

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    These lifts have been blamed for putting the shoulder in an unnatural position causing "shoulder/rotator cuff at risk of impingement"

If done correctly, and you have no pre-existing shoulder problems, they should be fine. But i'd do a machine pec fly, because of the smoother resistance curve. And dumbbell side raises will hit the lateral deltoids better, if that's what you're trying to do.
    mreichard wrote: »
    Mark Rippetoe (whose videos have really helped me) was very clear --- "f@ck barbell rows." As I understood it, he thinks they are at best an accessory lift and that they don't help much. Another article comparing them to power cleans concluded that bb rows are good for building muscle mass and strength.

Obviously rows can build mass & strength. In terms of functionality, the rowing movement is much more likely to be encountered outside the gym than flinging something vertically from the floor up to your shoulders. The power clean is a specialized, advanced exercise that shouldn't be in a book called "Starting Strength". :+1:

Power cleans are highly technical lifts but for a strength coach they are the lift that helps link lifting strength to speed and explosive power performance in athletics so I think that's probably why. High pulls would be a more natural analogy to actually hoisting of something over your shoulder since people will tend to throw the weight in front of them. I guess KB swings would be something else that is close to that and much more natural than the upright row. I would avoid that exercise if you have any type of shoulder impingement at all.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    am serious lifter must do leg press best lift you do?
    I don't think I've EVER seen you offer helpful advice. Are you aware of the "Chit-Chat" and "Fun & Games" portion of this site?

OP, those Klokov Presses that @Gallowmere1984 mentioned are no joke, but very effective. High pulls and upright rows: keep the bar at or below your nipples. No kidding, I saw a guy split his jaw open doing high pulls with a barbell and lighter weights.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I don't do upright rows at all. Nothing causes a flare of my neck injury worse.

Flies, every once in a while they get out in my programming and it's an okay switch up. But not something I'd choose to do.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I don't think I've EVER seen you offer helpful advice. Are you aware of the "Chit-Chat" and "Fun & Games" portion of this site?

OP, those Klokov Presses that @Gallowmere1984 mentioned are no joke, but very effective. High pulls and upright rows: keep the bar at or below your nipples. No kidding, I saw a guy split his jaw open doing high pulls with a barbell and lighter weights.

Nailing yourself in the jaw with a high pull or clean is kind of a right of passage in Olympic lifting lol.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

helpful is subjective buddy
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Nailing yourself in the jaw with a high pull or clean is kind of a right of passage in Olympic lifting lol.

Truth. Which is why I don't do cleans. Only the occasional snatch
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Truth. Which is why I don't do cleans. Only the occasional snatch

Your dentist will love you. ;)

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Flagged this post as "Inspiring"
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I don't have access to machines, just a bench, weights, bars and power rack. Only way i can train my legs is squats, deadlifts etc.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

I don't have access to machines, just a bench, weights, bars and power rack. Only way i can train my legs is squats, deadlifts etc.

good
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    lol
  • Rogansdad72
    Rogansdad72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can substitute the upright row with the high pull, particularly DB version, and get the same results without compromising the shoulder so I would go with those. Flies are ok if you keep your elbows bent and don't go past 180 degrees to your shoulder joint; you don't need to do the deep stretch, but it's safer just to do a DB press bringing the arms in if you have any doubts.

I'm with you on the high pull (wider grip), seems to eliminate (for me at least) the risk of putting my shoulders in a dangerous position. As has been mentioned, depends on OP's goals. For me, being relatively new to the iron game, strength and form are paramount. Using a slightly modified SL5x5 protocol to gain strength and lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't do BB rows very often...I do cleans and I do snatches and for accessory work I do either DB rows or cable rows...for more rear delt work I do face pulls. I don't do DB fly very often as it irritates my shoulders...when I do I keep them light.