Replies

• delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Is smoked worse than normal?
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Love bacon with breakfast, on salads, as ingredients to flavor other dishes. Reminds me,I need to make some bacon jam for my son, he asked a couple weeks ago. Time consuming but soooo good.
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bacon is the best! I eat it every weekday morning (get it at the office cafeteria) and have eaten it even when I'm at lower weights. If you don't have cholesterol problems, I see no reason with it. It helps me avoid those cravings later on and is surprisingly low cal.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    delboy604 wrote: »
    Is smoked worse than normal?

Worse how?
  • delboy604
    Options
    Cvstokke I know,keeps cravings away for me too
  • delboy604
    Options
    I remember hearing that smoked food can be worse than normal for calories. I think I heard smoked mackerel higher in calories than normal??
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing that smoked food can be worse than normal for calories. I think I heard smoked mackerel higher in calories than normal??

If it is, that'll be because hot smoking cooks and slightly dries out the mackerel, so more of that mackerel is fat and protein and less is water. The ratio of calories to macronutrients will barely be affected.

You would notice the same effect comparing a raw burger to a grilled one.
  • delboy604
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy/zombified to cook in the AM, but if you've got the time, 2 strips of bacon within your calorie goal sounds like a nice part of breakfast. It has the protein and fat to keep you satisfied, especially along with eggs.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info

Bacon is usually cold smoked, btw, so there wouldn't really be the same discrepancy as with mackerel.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I did try turkey bacon myself but it was like frying lunch meat. :/ If you want that real bacon flavor and texture, I would say stick with the real thing. And thick cut is better in my opinion. *drools*
  • delboy604
    Options
    Aaaa all this talk of bacon. I'm gonna go and have my evening walk now. Lol
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    This is making me wish it was breakfast time now lol.

It's ALWAYS breakfast time!!! I love having "Breakfast" food for any meal!!!
  • delboy604
    Options
    I can't comment as I've not tried. Lol
  • delboy604
    Options
    I agree breakfast is best joanna
  • pineridgepantry
    Options
    I would say it definitely depends on the diet you are working to maintain. If you are keto, LCHF, Atkins, paleo, AIP... then eat ALL the low/no sugar bacon you want (almost)... but if you are trying to manage your calories or fat macro, bacon can take up a lot of your daily allocation. So, if you are in the first group, eat it for sure but if you are in the second, I would make it as a treat and look for alternatives (e.g., Canadian/back bacon, turkey bacon) if you'd like to eat it more often.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I would say it definitely depends on the diet you are working to maintain. If you are keto, LCHF, Atkins, paleo, AIP... then eat ALL the low/no sugar bacon you want (almost)... but if you are trying to manage your calories or fat macro, bacon can take up a lot of your daily allocation. So, if you are in the first group, eat it for sure but if you are in the second, I would make it as a treat and look for alternatives (e.g., Canadian/back bacon, turkey bacon) if you'd like to eat it more often.

Center cut bacon is about 35 calories a slice, hardly a calorie bank breaker.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs mmmmm a winner every time.
  • delboy604
    Options
    Good to hear people share my love of bacon and eggs lol