Keto diet (lifestyle)

Options
DanielFields513
DanielFields513 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been doing keto for about 3 weeks now and I'm down quite a bit it's an amazing diet/lifestyle and after consulting a nutritionist and Doctor because I'm still eating my daily calorie goal and maintaining cardio/weights it doesn't put much strain on the heart and is actually healthy. I recommend this diet for anyone who wants to feel better and drop weight in a healthy way. It's high fat/mid protein/ low carb.. I usually do 200-300 g of fat 125-60g of protein and under 30 g of carbs. The first 4-5 days were really rough but when my body adapted to the ketos in my body and started using them more than the glucose everything became clear, I thought better I felt better and I looked better. For anyone wanting to try it just look up keto diets! It's kinda like the Atkins diet minus moving up in carbs each phase. Have any of you had success with this? Only thing I find difficult is getting my fat intake so high.. I barely make it each day

Replies

• closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    There's a very dynamic and engaging group on this if you're interested. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would also advise anyone considering keto to consult their doctor first. There are certain medical issues that can be substantially exacerbated by keto diets.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do join the LCD group linked above. There are a bunch of us keto'ers there.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would also advise anyone considering keto to consult their doctor first. There are certain medical issues that can be substantially exacerbated by keto diets.

The main danger is for those with genetic deficiencies in fat metabolism, or the rare people whose cholesterol is actually affected by dietary cholesterol.

As a general rule, keto is just as safe as any other diet.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Is it absolutely necessary to have such a high fat content each day?
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for about 3 weeks now and I'm down quite a bit it's an amazing diet/lifestyle and after consulting a nutritionist and Doctor because I'm still eating my daily calorie goal and maintaining cardio/weights it doesn't put much strain on the heart and is actually healthy. I recommend this diet for anyone who wants to feel better and drop weight in a healthy way. It's high fat/mid protein/ low carb.. I usually do 200-300 g of fat 125-60g of protein and under 30 g of carbs. The first 4-5 days were really rough but when my body adapted to the ketos in my body and started using them more than the glucose everything became clear, I thought better I felt better and I looked better. For anyone wanting to try it just look up keto diets! It's kinda like the Atkins diet minus moving up in carbs each phase. Have any of you had success with this? Only thing I find difficult is getting my fat intake so high.. I barely make it each day

I think it is great you are having success with keto dieting, but I have to disagree on your comparison with the Atkins diet. I also think it's important to monitor ketones when you start to understand carb and protein thresholds and supplementation and having your labs run first. I see a lot of misinformed ketoers and a lot of misinforming or outdated websites.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    janlee_001 wrote: »

Yes, especially initially, for at least the first 30 days, and then the vast majority of the time after that. Fat ismy least favorite thing to eat, but I'm at well over 80% fat intake and I have to take supplements to help me digest the fat. The good news is you CAN get used to it and it is actually pretty amazing what it can do for your cravings and lifestlye, not to mention cholesterol and heart health and blood sugar and inflammation and weight Etc Etc
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Maybe necessary for his diet but not necessary for general health.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You have found a diet that works for you, well done. I would like to see you report back after 6 months rather than 3 weeks and see how you're doing with it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Is there actually concern for having it that high?