App that suggests alternative machine/freeweight exercises?

Options
Hi there,

As a relative newbie to the gym, I use a workout app to guide my routine each day. However, the problem is that my gym gets really crowded and oftentimes the machine I need to use for a particular exercise from my app is being used.

Does anyone know of an app with a feature that provides alternative exercises to work out the same muscle group as in the original exercise?

I know that there are other workarounds to this issue (e.g., wait until the person is done using the machine, do a different exercise first, or just become familiar with alternative exercises), but for me, it would be easier if I could just press a button and quickly see a list of alternative machines or freeweight exercises that would hit the same muscles as the original one. I also know that there are some apps which provide a comprehensive directory of exercises (& related muscle groups), but none seam to offer a quick and easy way of substituting one exercise for another mid-workout.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions - thanks!

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any apps but there's the whole deductive logic thing. What can be done that uses the same isolation motion as the set you were about to do?

Crap. Dude is using the preacher curl machine: Isolation curls. Spider curls. Lean over an incline bench and do one arm preacher curls.

Summumabortch. The lat pull down is being used. Pullups. Grab a bench and use a free motion machine with a bar attached.

Rats. The row machine is being used. One arm dumbbell rows. Pendlay row. T-bar row.

Eff. That bastage has been on the leg press for 30 minutes. Dumbbell squats. Goblet squats. Barbell Squats. Lunges. Weighted box step ups.

I know that's not as easy as an app and some movements may incorporate other secondaries, but Freemotion cable machines allow for you to do virtually anything.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I don't know of any apps but there's the whole deductive logic thing. What can be done that uses the same isolation motion as the set you were about to do?

Crap. Dude is using the preacher curl machine: Isolation curls. Spider curls. Lean over an incline bench and do one arm preacher curls.

Summumabortch. The lat pull down is being used. Pullups. Grab a bench and use a free motion machine with a bar attached.

Rats. The row machine is being used. One arm dumbbell rows. Pendlay row. T-bar row.

Eff. That bastage has been on the leg press for 30 minutes. Dumbbell squats. Goblet squats. Barbell Squats. Lunges. Weighted box step ups.

I know that's not as easy as an app and some movements may incorporate other secondaries, but Freemotion cable machines allow for you to do virtually anything.

Leg press, you say?
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Leg press, you say?

:D I knew the "physique competitor starter kit" essential would get something. :D
  • krodizzle1
    krodizzle1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Haha, I love your comment. Thanks for the tip - I guess as I get more confident in the gym, it will become second nature re: which free weight exercises to do as a substitute. Thanks again sir!