to Live longer and healthier I need to lose 150lbs, does anyone else need to lose this much?

Options

Replies

• vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Just turned 59 at the end of August, current weight is 260. All time high in 2010 was 323. Started MFP in Feb '16 at 298. In 2015 I made a vow to be in as good shape at 60 as I was at 30 (I was 185 lbs., hard as a rock, and did a nautilus circuit literally every other day...M-W-F-Su-Tu-Th-Sa). So, I'm on my way! Anyone is free to come join me; just send me a NOTE with your friend request, and let me know you're from this thread.

I love the encouragement and support here on MFP, and I like to think that I give as good as I get!

Also, there is a Group called 'Losing 100+ Pounds Naturally (Without Surgery)'...just search under Community > Groups.

Looking forward to meeting some or all of you...

60 is the new 40!
  • TorontoLass
    TorontoLass Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @vikinglander
    Hi There,
    Yes I agree 60 IS the new 40 and congratulations on losing 63lbs. I'm looking forward to being able to sat that one day myself.

Glynne (Toronto)
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @grogers511
    Thank you for sharing your derailment experience as it motivated me to get a good walk in last night. I know I must eat less on days that I don't move much but there have been too many of those days lately. Fall is here and the weather is perfect for early morning or late night walks. I'm also fortunate to have a community recreation center for those bad weather days but sometimes I need a little extra motivation. Thank you!

@GlynneRichard
    I gained half a pound after my walk last night. I'm sure it's water retention because I haven't been getting out like I should. Once my ankle and knee muscles get used to it again the weight will drop back off. It's frustrating but necessary for repair of our muscles. Sometimes the weight comes off in 2 and 3 pound drops.
  • Shrinky2012
    Shrinky2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I need to loose around 110 ponds (50kg) and I'm really going to do it this time around! Already on medication for high blood pressure and diabetes is knocking on the door.
    It's not going to be easy but I have had a good 3 weeks of 3x a week gym and around 1,400 kcal a day. Lost over 4 kg already so it's all good so far. ☺
  • DH42
    DH42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 40 so far, but I still have another 60 to go to reach my goal.
  • TorontoLass
    Options
    Its a beautiful sunny day here today and I'm determined to keep all my plans for the day. I was supposed to walk yesterday but didn't so have to make myself do it today.
  • justnan00
    justnan00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    58, retired, widowed, need to lose around 150 total. Been working at it since May, down about 20ish, finding it much harder to lose and to find motivation now than in the past. (I lost 80 lbs in 7 months at 40, regained all+)
    I weigh daily, focus on 5 lbs at a time. When I started was bouncing around between 305-310, currently bouncing around between 285-290. I know exercise will help me lose faster, but between arthritic joints and lack of motivation finding it hard to get into a regular habit. But I just keep trying. Slowly, some weeks very very slowly.
  • smatlalcuatzi19
    Options
    39 married 2 kids and Hubby... traveling with my pipliner husband. We are here in Texas City, TX. I am weighing in at 301. I need to lose 151. For my goal weight. I have hypothyroid hashimotos disease. Type 2 diabetes. Hypertension. High cholesterol. I started Friday in Planet fitness... I thought I couldn't do a gym but I toured it first and could not believe how many people are wanting to help you and NOONE passes judgment. Hence the judgment free zone. I have went 3 days in a row lasting about 30 minutes on the treadmill and I do the 30 minute PF 360 and 20 minutes in hips and abs.. 20 minutes strenghth and 10 minutes in the hydro massager and 1w in the total body enhancer. I may on some days hit 5 minutes in the tanning bed.. I've only been 3 days but I love it already. I am not so much watching what I eat as I am how much I eat.. I am new to thus portion control and figure if I can eat a sliver of cake versus a huge chunk of it then I will eventually cut it out. I went from 6 regular sodas to one diet soda at supper. Then I will cut it out but if I take it all away at once I will not be able to stick with it. I know I've been on this roller coaster since I'm 11. But I figure if I go slow and lose it I won't gain it all back. And I will learn a healthier lifestyle. I am doing this so I can see my kids get married and have babies... I want to grow old with my husband. Thank you for reading my story and feel free to add me
  • TorontoLass
    Options
    @justnan00
    My circumstances are the same except I've never been able to lose 80lbs, how disheartening to regain it all back. But one thing that tells you is that you are capable of losing that amount and it encourages me too. I understand about the motivation and I've always found that this time of year with the cooler weather and September always felt like the beginning of a new year (kids back to school) my motivation increased. I know it won't last but I'm pushing myself as much as possible right now while it lasts in the hope that I can extend it as long as possible. There's a whole lot of clothes waiting for me that I need to get back into so I'm looking forward to 290lb. When my joints hurt I do aquasize (water exercises) at a local pool, that may be something that would work for you. Hang in there and Good Luck and don't forget you have lots of company.

Glynne (Toronto)
  • TorontoLass
    Options
    I get everyones e-mail but when I click on the link in the e-mail it takes me to a page where I can't find the thread or am able to reply to what people have written. I'm finding this hard to navigate. Does anyone have a clue as to how to help me. I could't find a help page that answered my dilemma.
  • justnan00
    justnan00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I read on the website, not sure how it works on your phone. I clicked the star bookmark up top by the title of the thread. After I log into the main site, click community up top, then click on the star top right. Lists all your bookmarked threads with new posts.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all - I'm Pam and I turned 60 in January. I retired (actually, just quit my job in journalism) 3 years ago because it was literally killing me. I'm 5'9 and weighed 313 when I quit working - 65 hour weeks, coming home after midnight and eating dinner at 2am, working across the street from the best donut bakery in town, and constantly eating fast food in my car as I ran from place to place all took its toll.

After hiding out in the peace and quiet of my house for about a month, I finally let a good friend start dragging me out of the house to do things - easy stuff, like walking around grocery stores looking for bargains. I'd broken my ankle in a car wreck 2 years previously, and I never gained back 100 percent mobility as it healed, so I wasn't able to do very much. Then she talked me into joining Weight Watchers with her. Then we joined the gym and I started doing exercise classes (Silver Sneakers) geared for senior citizens. I started out doing all the exercises while sitting in a chair.

I started losing weight and made the decision to work with a personal trainer too - probably because my Weight Watchers leader WAS a personal trainer as well (he'd lost 140 pounds on his fitness journey). I saw more progress - my mobility increased, my stamina improved, and I could move easier. I didn't have to sit in the chair during exercise classes any more.

I was about 70 pounds down this past December when Weight Watchers changed its program. I have philosophical differences with the new program so I dropped out and started using another free health and fitness app. I started doing cardio dance and Zumba. I hiked and climbed and walked 5Ks and was able to do all sorts of things on vacation with my husband. I was flirting with the magic "100 pound" weight loss milestone. I had gone from a size 28 to a size 18 and was starting to think about size 16s. My doctor was ecstatic with my blood work and overall physical health.

But then I hit a rut - I called it diet fatigue after doing this for about 2 years - and backslid, putting on about 20 pounds of the weight I'd lost. My exercise stayed constant but my food addiction reared its ugly head and I binge ate whatever was in the house after 7 pm at night. When an old friend and I crossed paths at the gym and she sent me a friend request on MFP (which I'd downloaded on my phone but never used), I decided that maybe switching to MFP would be like starting a new program and would help me regain my focus.

So far it's working - I'm 2 weeks in and I've been tracking faithfully. The weight is coming off slowly but I'm doing all the healthy things I need to do to see results and all it will take is patience and perseverance to make it happen. I do have some significant arthritis issues but my trainer and I work around them. It's all good.

I still haven't set an ultimate goal weight. I'm post-menopausal and I think I have to set my sights a little higher than I would have 10-15 years ago. So, I'm aiming for not quite 150 pounds lost but maybe more like 133....I think I could be very happy with 180.

Moral of this tl;dr story? It's possible to lose 150 pounds or more if you approach it like eating an elephant - one small bite at a time. And I'm still chomping away.

Pam in GA

PS - Friend requests gladly accepted :smile:

Hi Pam, I think your journey is wonderfully human. I too work in a stressful environment (legal). Instead of exercising to relieve the stress, I go home and pig out. :blush:

I'm not a spring chicken, more like a tough ole' bird, 5'9, at 250lbs last week, I have 100 lbs (extra 15 lbs for insurance) to lose I've been here for 10 days and lost 6 so far. I too did Weight Watchers and lost 40 lbs 10 years ago. Never went into maintenance, just kept gaining...lol. Darn that Popeyes chicken. This time I will make sure to include a cheat day so that I don't go bonkers when I get something tasty in my mouth!

My exercise is just walking 30-45 minutes a day. I also am eating low sodium and low sugar, for health reasons. Blood pressure was 170/100, pulse rate 84 before I started here. Now its 150/90, pulse rate 70, still high but I see it being lower within the next month. Eating low sugar (20gs or less) because I read excess sugar turns to (visceral/abdominal) fat when you have more than your body can use. I've lost an inch from my waist so far.

I read somewhere that it's best to do strength training when you start a weightloss program....helps with the loose skin.

Anyway would love to join you gals @GlynneRichard and company!

Tori
    California

• mysteps2beauty
    Options
    Turned 59 and sick of yo-yo weight loss. Retired now but want to be diabetes free and live to see grandchildren. Starting to exercise with the treadmill. Up to 20mins so far. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hi Glynne, I tried to send you a friend request but it reads that your page could not be found. I was able to send other friend requests so maybe something the tech folks can help you with?
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    @snowflake....that's is AMAZING!!!! What an inspiration!
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Turned 59 and sick of yo-yo weight loss. Retired now but want to be diabetes free and live to see grandchildren. Starting to exercise with the treadmill. Up to 20mins so far. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hi Glynne, I tried to send you a friend request but it reads that your page could not be found. I was able to send other friend requests so maybe something the tech folks can help you with?

I noticed this too, and with a couple other profiles in the past few days. Either people are posting a few then deleting their accounts or MFP is acting wonky.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options

I noticed this too, and with a couple other profiles in the past few days. Either people are posting a few then deleting their accounts or MFP is acting wonky.

Interesting. Well, I hope it's the latter.... :)
  • TorontoLass
    Options
    I am not deleting anything so that's not my problem. I am new to these types of forums though so I might be making mistakes accidentally. I did change my user name as I put down my real name. I didn't realise it was going to show up that way.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am not deleting anything so that's not my problem. I am new to these types of forums though so I might be making mistakes accidentally. I did change my user name as I put down my real name. I didn't realise it was going to show up that way.

Ah, looks like the user name change was the cause in your case; perhaps other people changed their names as well. Good to note.
  • TorontoLass
    Options
    justnan00 wrote: »
    I read on the website, not sure how it works on your phone. I clicked the star bookmark up top by the title of the thread. After I log into the main site, click community up top, then click on the star top right. Lists all your bookmarked threads with new posts.

Good to know TY