Restrictive diet venting

Options

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    @fishshark I respectfully disagree, but I'm not actually interested in getting into an argument, so I'm just going to leave this topic

how can you respectfully disagree that when a person psychically writes a post about THEIR situation... stating that it is a VENT is not specifically abou her. uhh... ok. sure.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    General vent thread: I'm venting about whatever I'm venting about today. What's annoying you?
    Personal vent thread: I'm venting about whatever I'm venting about today. Thanks for listening.

literally this.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    It's not that I don't ever eat white bread, it's that I can't eat white bread every day and keep low sodium.

I feel this thread will keep going in the "you can still eat what you want" direction which is not what I intended (just a vent, not asking for advice). I can't be the only person who is slightly frustrated at not being able to eat certain types of foods due to a dietary restriction (barring allergies and OMGDEATH food).

I am slightly frustrated by my allergies because you can't eat without reading the label or asking what's in what your coworker cooked. I only have one OMGDEATH food, but there six or seven that make me very sick to eat. I feel for your on not having the yummy bread.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    We have it in our household too. I am gluten and lactose intolerant. Makes things challenging but I find it easy to just say no because the effects are immediate and very uncomfortable. I am also eating to lower my cholesterol which just adds to the limitations and frustrations. It sucks and I have been more frustrated over the new restrictions than the intolerance.

My husband is a fairly newly diagnosed T2 diabetic. Much harder to just say no because the effect (except on his meter) is off in the future. He is doing very, very well in controlling his blood sugar and changing his habits. I think it is harder than my issues. When friends offer something that he shouldn't eat but he can, tough to say no. When I am offered something that hits the intolerances, I cannot eat it. Easy.

So true. When there are not immediate health effects form eating something, it makes it harder to abstain, or eat just a little bit.
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I try to stick with lower carb/sugar and higher protein due to medical reasons and multiple doc recommendations. It can suck some days because carbs and sugar are sooooo much easier to pile on. But it's what is best for my body. I do slip up (quite a bit) and have slightly higher carbs than protein, but it's a work in progress and it's gotten a lot better. Sugar is the main issue and I usually do okay in that instance. Stay strong, you can do this. Also, enjoy a piece every once in a while and monitor your other sodium intake. Not saying eating it every day, but he well all have off days, we're human. Enjoy a piece, log it, and save it for another rainy or special day. :smile:
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We dont buy white bread and my kids prefer wholemeal anyway
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Staying away from coffee and soda, at least until I can get to the doc later to get UTI treatment. I usually have 3 to 4 cups of black coffee a day. I already feel like death, and now the caffeine withdrawal. Took some excederin migraine, which still has caffeine, but I had to take the edge off somehow. Trying to keep the pain down with lots of water but that's getting old. I feel like starting a journal of my final days on this earth. :cry:
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I picked up a loaf of white bread from the Icelandic bakery up the street. I'm jealous of my husband because he doesn't give a shizzle about calories and sodium and just eats a couple sammiches made of this delicious fluffiness. Here I am being conscientious of my HBP by eating lower sodium. I know millions have it worse than HBP, but dammit I'm sitting here alone with crusty, fluffy, freshly-baked white bread.

I get you. It sucks being responsible. I'd like to eat all the carbs, but as a diabetic I have to pay attention to them and spread them through my day. Do I want a giant slice of hot fudge cake which is nearly my daily allotment of carbs? Heck yes. Does it annoy me that it just doesn't fit my world? Yep. You are doing what is right for your health, that doesn't always mean it's fun though. Keep up the good fight.
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    yeah like my naturally skinny peeps who can slop the PB on their sammiches and move on with their lives.....no big deal man, I have to measure and work for PB like once a week :(

No such thing. PB cals go in and those PB cals must be burned off somehow so that the skinny peeps stay as such :)

There is a documentary on Youtube called Why Thin People are Not Fat or something to that effect. There's a lot of science. What happens to the extra calories depends a lot on the individual. Some of it is burned off as excess body heat. Some gain almost all of the excess as muscle even if they are not lifting weights.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    wait for it...
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I feel you OP. It sucks and you definitely need to vent sometimes, especially if you can talk to people who have btdt! I'm careful of my food balance because of severe, crippling migraines- too much or too little of sodium, water, alcohol, certain processed foods, sugar and on and on and I'm out for a few days. It's not my only trigger but it's one I can usually control. It just sucks to always have to be on top of it or face the consequences :/

Good luck hun, you've got this!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    now I want white bread.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    preferably with PB.

and a lot of it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    now I want white bread.
    preferably with PB.

and a lot of it.

Me too!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    yeah like my naturally skinny peeps who can slop the PB on their sammiches and move on with their lives.....no big deal man, I have to measure and work for PB like once a week :(

No one is naturally skinny. CICO for everyone.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. Been living this same old suck since 2013. I think I'm expected to live on coffee and RX lol. Like you, I would really enjoy a nice loaf of fluffy white bread, and knowing me, I would plow right through the entire loaf like some kind of rampaging dinosaur and then my husband would find me twitching in the floor or something. lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yes...I have to be careful with meat...particularly red meat and shell fish...and I have to take it easy on the beers...I love steak, shrimp, and beers....it's annoying.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Can you bake white bread with less sodium? I'm not sure how bread works. But then you could eat it. And be full of bread.