Bulletproof-coffee

Options
What are everyone's thoughts on bulletproof-coffee?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Tastes yummy but too many calories for me and it didn't do any of the things it claims for me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Too many calories for me too. I usually have coffee with sugar-free creamer, many of them. I get a nice little kick from the caffeine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A pointless fad. Quite possibly worse for you than coffee with cream.

Also sounds absolutely revolting!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's one of the most ridiculous concepts I've ever heard

If not the

Actually it can't be top of the list, too much competition ..but it's up there...woo yes it's up there
  • nlp154
    nlp154 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love it! Just started drinking it, helps me hit my macros and tastes creamy and delicious!! You should try it :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Tastes good, too high in calories to be worth it on regular basis, makes me a bit nauseous, does not stave off hunger so I can't have it as a meal replacement unless I'm not hungry to eat in the first place. I chose not to spend calories on it after a few times of having it. It's just not worth it for me and although I like the taste, many things taste even better for fewer calories. I could spend that on ice cream instead. Everything else about it is overplayed hype to sell books. Try it, you might like it as an occasional (or frequent) treat.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do bullet proof tea. scores of Tibetans aren't wrong...
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    440 calories
    0.8g protein
    0 carbs
    55.1g fat
    Plus 2% calcium requirement, 28% B2, 22% vitamin A

For 100g cheese
    416 calories
    25.4g protein
    0.1g carbs
    34.9g fat
    Plus 72% calcium requirement, 20% Vitamin A, 13% B12

so?

that macro profile is the point, of course. you can't drink cheese...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I drink my version of it most days. It really is no weirder than putting cow's (breast) milk and refine sugar beet into your coffee every morning. ;) LOL

And MCTs and dairy fat are healthy foods for most (except those with a dairy allergy or some sort of genetic fat metabolizing problems). I can't see how it is ridiculous or less healthy than cream in coffee.... Unless one is still following the fat-is-evil dogma of yester year.

My BPC consists of a teaspoon of coconut oil, a couple of drops of stevia, and either a half teaspoon of butter or some whipping cream. I sometimes add a carb free protein powder if I am a little low on protein for the day.

I eat a low carb diet so it fits my macros perfectly. I often skip breakfast and just have two BPC thougout the morning.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's awesome - if drinking high-calorie, high-fat sludge is your thing. Otherwise, the purported benefits are just trendy woo.

For 440 calories, I could have a cup of regular coffee, two eggs, three egg whites and toast instead. I know which would be more satiating for me.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Black for me, please.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My choice would be high quality coffee beans brewed carefully and made into delicious black coffee.
    If I want high fat then peanuts, cashew nuts or cheese eaten, not drunk(!), would be my favoured choices.

Alan Aragon writing about Bulletproof coffee....

Speaking of wasted time, money, and effort (with a side order of adverse potential), a prime example is Bulletproof Coffee, which I’ve covered extensively in the June & July 2013 issues of AARR. Briefly, time and effort are wasted by dealing with the application and clean-up of buttering up coffee, and by necessity, your blender. Money is wasted through the purchase of ‘special’ butter and ‘special’ MCT oil (which does little more than add calories). Those who really fell hard for the pitch bought the ‘special’ coffee, which costs about double the regular stuff. The humor in the latter is that the sales hook is based on an alleged mycotoxin problem, which is practically nonexistent in commercially available coffee [1,2].

As far as adverse potential goes, butter was directly compared with cream in terms of effects on blood lipids. Rosquist et al [3] found that cream, which contains significantly more milk fat globule membrane (MFGM), had no significant effect, while butter raised non-HDL cholesterol, as well as the proportion of apolipoprotein B in the blood. Both of these outcomes are associated with increased cardiovascular risk [4,5]. Apparently, MFGM is the inherently cardioprotective component of cream. The churning process to make butter gets rid of a significant amount of MFGM. Now, this doesn’t make butter some sort of “bad” food to avoid, but it doesn’t offer any inherent benefit to health—especially compared to cream (which, by the way, doesn’t require a blender to mix with coffee).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A pointless fad. Quite possibly worse for you than coffee with cream.

Also sounds absolutely revolting!

^ This. There is never a lack of fad followers though. Oh, and Aragon FTW. Was thinking about that article.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yeah now I'm craving an Irish coffee

And a big ol' cheese board

That's sitting in front of a roaring fire in a big fluffy dressing gown time
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    yeah now I'm craving an Irish coffee

And a big ol' cheese board

That's sitting in front of a roaring fire in a big fluffy dressing gown time

I'll be right over!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I used to do it, but prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them. But to each their own.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,147 Member
    Options
    I thought this fad was long gone.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,147 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Black for me, please.

Me too ... just cannot drink coffee with a lot of other stuff in it.