Bulletproof-coffee

Options
2»

Replies

• anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee, buttered coffee, keto coffee....are all relatively the same and practiced by those on a low carb, high fat, moderate protein way of eating lifestyle. It's a way to get enough fat in. I have it every morning. It folks you up. I basically only eat an evening meal after having my keto coffee in the morning because the fat satisfies you longer. The 233 calories on my coffee are nothing. Especially compared to some of the so called diet foods out there that are filled with sugar and then people are hungry an hour or so later and are eating again. It's a personal preference. But one I enjoy.

If there are any fellow ketoer or bpc people that want to friend request me feel free!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee, buttered coffee, keto coffee....are all relatively the same and practiced by those on a low carb, high fat, moderate protein way of eating lifestyle. It's a way to get enough fat in. I have it every morning. It folks you up. I basically only eat an evening meal after having my keto coffee in the morning because the fat satisfies you longer. The 233 calories on my coffee are nothing. Especially compared to some of the so called diet foods out there that are filled with sugar and then people are hungry an hour or so later and are eating again. It's a personal preference. But one I enjoy.

If there are any fellow ketoer or bpc people that want to friend request me feel free!

It's not a universal effect though. I'm hungry 15 minutes after this coffee, so it's not a good calorie bargain for me like it is for you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think that a cup of coffee gets me *ahem* 'going' enough in the morning, without adding a bunch of oil to it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

What the heck is wrong with cream? It's arguably better for your heart too. There are better fats out there to be using such as nut butters and olive oil and they don't need to go into your coffee.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I thought this fad was long gone.

The supposed benefits have been disproven but people take time to change their minds
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    440 calories
    0.8g protein
    0 carbs
    55.1g fat
    Plus 2% calcium requirement, 28% B2, 22% vitamin A

For 100g cheese
    416 calories
    25.4g protein
    0.1g carbs
    34.9g fat
    Plus 72% calcium requirement, 20% Vitamin A, 13% B12

so?

that macro profile is the point, of course. you can't drink cheese...

The point is the lack of nutrition that comes from drinking butter.
  • walkerinthemist
    Options
    I used to take butter in my coffee... it's a staple in some Middle eastern or African country, I've forgotten which specifically. I liked it for a while when we weren't buying good coffee beans/grounds. I also dabbled with red wine in my coffee when I wasn't driving every day, which is quite nice - no health benefits, but it gets you back to the middle ages in terms of how having a slight buzz all day can take the edge off things. However, if I'm going to spoil myself with 440 cal in one thing I'll go for Viennese coffee, it simply tastes better. Good coffee with a touch of decent milk.

I'm not sure where the health claims come in, but unless you're adverse to eating food in the morning, it doesn't seem plausible that there wouldn't be a better approach to consuming those calories and nutrients. Eggs on toast as mentioned before seems far more filling, and you can even use butter on the toast for some extra awesomeness.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

The supposed benefits have been disproven but people take time to change their minds

I think it's more that "bulletproof coffee" just sounds so cool to say.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The mere idea of putting butter in my coffee makes me nauseated. Granted, I have a very delicate stomach in the morning. Can't even drink warm water within the first hour or two or my chances of keeping everything down reduce dramatically. So butter? Noooo thanks. Plus 440 calories a cup? That's like a third of my entire day...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A lot of snap prejudices based on misinformation on fats from the last century.

Perhaps it isn't just a fad? It's popularity rose, but why does it need to fade away completely?

Pumpkin spice hasn't ever gone away. Avocado's popularity did not die back comletely. KWIM?

What the heck is wrong with cream? It's arguably better for your heart too. There are better fats out there to be using such as nut butters and olive oil and they don't need to go into your coffee.

Nothing wrong with cream. What the heck is wrong with coconut oil or butter?
    htimpaired wrote: »
    lodro wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    440 calories
    0.8g protein
    0 carbs
    55.1g fat
    Plus 2% calcium requirement, 28% B2, 22% vitamin A

For 100g cheese
    416 calories
    25.4g protein
    0.1g carbs
    34.9g fat
    Plus 72% calcium requirement, 20% Vitamin A, 13% B12

so?

that macro profile is the point, of course. you can't drink cheese...

The point is the lack of nutrition that comes from drinking butter.

So you never use butter? It doesn't add it's lack of nutrition to your toast, your veggies, your eggs, or a melted buttery cheese sauce?

My point is that there is nothing nutritional wrong with BPC. It's just different. People aren't used to the idea of it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    A lot of snap prejudices based on misinformation on fats from the last century.

Perhaps it isn't just a fad? It's popularity rose, but why does it need to fade away completely?

Pumpkin spice hasn't ever gone away.

What's "pumpkin spice"

Is that like pumpkin soup with curry? Mmmm!! :)

Or roast pumpkin with black pepper? Mmmm!! :)

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I hate coffee, so I do bulletproof tea. And yes it lives up to it's hype, but only if I've been on point with the way of eating it is designed to support. If your body is used to burning carbs then having fat in the morning won't do a thing for you. There is science behind it and there are a large number of top health and fitness guru's, scientists and doctors who support it.

Want to know if it works for you? Give it a real try.
  • KindaOverThis
    KindaOverThis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ack. I'd never heard of it before I saw your post so I Googled. Butter (or anything, for that matter) in my coffee?! Nope. LOL. I guess there's always a new fad, though.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    hmm I thought I read (in several places) there is no scientific proof whatsoever it works as its said too? As are all things its debatable. Show me some blind study tests and real results of benefits and maybe Ill become a believer. All I see are blind studies on high saturated fats diets lead to fat storage and type 2 diabetes.