Can you eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie range and still lose weight?

Options
priyul1000
priyul1000 Posts: 13 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

I've been on a diet for around 10 months now, where I have chosen to eat healthy foods and vegetables over fast food and snacks.

So far, as you may have guessed, results are starting to show and I am definitely losing weight.

However, I was just curious, as the title states, can you eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie range and still lose weight?

In my case, I simply want to slowly start eating a slice fo bread, or roll (wholewheat) everyday which is about 150 calories, while substituting out something else like having a smaller portion of Yoghurt in the afternoon, while still keeping to the same caloric deflict, will I gain weight?

I have heard that bread and doughy things can be fattening, but in this case it is simply a slice of wholewheat bread/roll. Dont want to put months of work at risk.

I was considering this as I am slowly approaching my goal weight and am trying to lower the deflict.

Appreciate all responses!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If I eat whatever I want, I can't stay in enough of a calorie deficit. I need to drop calories a bit further, which is impossible because I start eating more.

Plus my health suffers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you may have been eating (perhaps lower carb, by accident), you may see the scale go up a bit when you start, but that would just be water.
  • priyul1000
    priyul1000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you may have been eating (perhaps lower carb, by accident), you may see the scale go up a bit when you start, but that would just be water.

Interesting, thanks for the clarification! I do drink alot of water throught my day as well. I've been sticking to a low carb diet for a while now, and haven't touched bread or any doughy items for months until as recently as yesterday, thus I was concerned. I do however spend most of my day consuming nutritional food such as salads, and fruits.

Thank you to all who have replied, I appreciate all help. Have a good day :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    priyul1000 wrote: »

Interesting, thanks for the clarification! I do drink alot of water throught my day as well. I've been sticking to a low carb diet for a while now, and haven't touched bread or any doughy items for months until as recently as yesterday, thus I was concerned. I do however spend most of my day consuming nutritional food such as salads, and fruits.

Thank you to all who have replied, I appreciate all help. Have a good day :smile:

Since you've been low carb, and want bread, consider looking at some of the original South Beach Diet resources (not the Kraft crap). SB wasn't a low carb diet, and does incorporate whole grains. The reasoning behind it may resonate with you.
    Good luck with whatever you decide!

ETA: this isn't a terrible description of it. http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/south-beach-diet-what-it-is
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You can! I would play around with it to see what works best for you. I know a lot of people on this site are on the 100% calories in vs. calories out train, which will absolutely give you results and for a lot of people is the easiest diet to stick to. In that respect, for most people, that is perfect advice. Everybody is different and that advise works for 100% of people (barring any medical issues.) However, I find myself losing more weight, for the same amount of calories, if I skip the processed foods and maintain a high protein/fat diet. Since this works for me, I try to skip bread when I am trying to lose weight. However, like I said, everyone is different. You need to do what is best for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.. protein while in a calorie deficit is important, try to balance macro and micro nutrients as much as you can and moreover meet your min protein goal every day if you can!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Might wanna try Ezikiel (or the like) bread. It's 80 calories a slice and delicious--plus, it has a little protein.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am a low carber by choice, BUT I definitely do believe you can eat what ever you want and lose weight as long as you stay in your calorie range (deficit). :)
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    kittykarin wrote: »
    Just a note, yes the main way our body loses weight is through eating less than we use. However, I have to say that some foods can lead you to overeat or crave more than others. May not apply to you but for me, there are just foods like bread and processed snacks, even some fruit that makes me want to eat my face off. I plan the majority of my food choices around the healthy protein, veggies and dairy that keeps me happy and satisfied and indulge in the other stuff knowing that I may struggle with hunger and cravings if I eat it. Some may not agree, but that's my experience. Good luck!

This applies to me too.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I did. I lost 60 pounds between Sept 2015 and July 2016. I just ate at a calorie deficit and ate the foods I normally eat. I still eat out once or twice a week and eat fast food and processed foods and breads and sugar. I find that if I focus on getting enough protein then I stay satisfied and don't have problems with craving or over eating. It also helps me not to be restrictive because making something off limits only makes me want it more.
    Agree!