Can you eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie range and still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Might wanna try Ezikiel (or the like) bread. It's 80 calories a slice and delicious--plus, it has a little protein.

My Nature's Own lite honey wheat is 40 calories per slice and fits into my day much easier than Ezekiel bread. Tastes better, too.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    priyul1000 wrote: »
    Hello!

I've been on a diet for around 10 months now, where I have chosen to eat healthy foods and vegetables over fast food and snacks.

So far, as you may have guessed, results are starting to show and I am definitely losing weight.

However, I was just curious, as the title states, can you eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie range and still lose weight?

In my case, I simply want to slowly start eating a slice fo bread, or roll (wholewheat) everyday which is about 150 calories, while substituting out something else like having a smaller portion of Yoghurt in the afternoon, while still keeping to the same caloric deflict, will I gain weight?

I have heard that bread and doughy things can be fattening, but in this case it is simply a slice of wholewheat bread/roll. Dont want to put months of work at risk.

I was considering this as I am slowly approaching my goal weight and am trying to lower the deflict.

Appreciate all responses!

Pretty much. Calories are what is important in terms of fat loss. Where it gets a little more complicated is first in terms of satiation. Some foods will leave you feeling fuller longer, thus making sticking to your calorie goal easier. The other confounding factor is that the sodium in the food, if much higher than you usually consume, can cause water retention with the corresponding water weight gain.

As for doughy things being fattening, if you measure the portions carefully and it fits into your calories, no, they are not any more fattening than fruit and veggies, just a little more calorie dense compared to most of them. When it comes down to it, it is all about calorie deficit, not the food types.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes! You should pay attention that you're getting enough micronutrients, fiber, and sufficient protein: after that, all your calories are purely discretionary.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Might wanna try Ezikiel (or the like) bread. It's 80 calories a slice and delicious--plus, it has a little protein.

+1 for Ezekiel or another true sprouted grain bread. Very nutrient dense, high fiber, not a lot of added crap. Delicious.

Fooducate.com rates it an A- (Nature's Own lite honey wheat gets a C+).
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Yes as long as you have the willpower to only stick to small amounts that fit into your calories.
    Personally I don't have that willpower and that's why I put on weight in the first place, by eating loads of junk food and not being able to stop a one item every now and then.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Yes as long as you have the willpower to only stick to small amounts that fit into your calories.
    Personally I don't have that willpower and that's why I put on weight in the first place, by eating loads of junk food and not being able to stop a one item every now and then.

I see post like this a lot. And while I get your point I don't understand how you can not have the willpower to eat only a small amount of something but you do have the willpower to restrict it altogether. I think it must just be differences in personalities. For me it is much easier to restrict the amounts I eat than to forbid myself to ever eat certain things. I do a lot better allowing myself a small portion of something I love than I do making things off limits. Restrictions like that lead me to have cravings and eventually over eat.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I see post like this a lot. And while I get your point I don't understand how you can not have the willpower to eat only a small amount of something but you do have the willpower to restrict it altogether. I think it must just be differences in personalities. For me it is much easier to restrict the amounts I eat than to forbid myself to ever eat certain things. I do a lot better allowing myself a small portion of something I love than I do making things off limits. Restrictions like that lead me to have cravings and eventually over eat.

For me it's SO MUCH EASIER to have no tortilla chips than 10.
    https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/salty-snacks-corn-or-cornmeal-base-tortilla-chips

Easier to have no nachos than 6.

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/nachos-with-cheese?portionid=40522&portionamount=1.000

Definitely easier to have no oreos than three oreos...

I truly think there's two kinds of folks when it comes to tempting foods.

I certainly agree. And I wasn't trying to say that I think that one way is right or wrong. I just can't imagine having the willpower to completely restrict any food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/salty-snacks-corn-or-cornmeal-base-tortilla-chips

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/nachos-with-cheese?portionid=40522&portionamount=1.000

I certainly agree. And I wasn't trying to say that I think that one way is right or wrong. I just can't imagine having the willpower to completely restrict any food.

You kinda implied that. :wink: but no harm. For me, these days, it doesn't take much of any willpower to not eat sweets. After a few months of not eating my daily snickers I found the idea kinda gross. All sweets. blech. (except very dark chocolate).

Nachos are another thing. (salty fat? YUM). But I save those for special, indulgent events. A special evening out with hubs or the like. And I don't eat six.

But sweets are pretty much a non issue now. I had tried to "moderate" them, but found it was easier, 14 years ago, to cut them out. No willpower involved now.

We each have to find our own way.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'd add to the chorus but with a caveat- you can certainly eat whatever you want but ALWAYS keep nutrition in mind- making sure whatever you're eating has the good stuff your body needs (micronutirents)- something chips, pizza, etc. don't, but fruits and vegetables generally do. A diet of straight "fun stuff" is fun but not one for optimal health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

+1 for Ezekiel or another true sprouted grain bread. Very nutrient dense, high fiber, not a lot of added crap. Delicious.

I mean, that's great if you get many of your nutrients from grains. I really don't. I'm not low carb by any means, but I get the bulk of my micros from the veggies I eat, along with fiber, and I get plenty of protein through meats and dairy. I'd rather not spend 160 calories for the bread on my sandwich, no matter how healthy it is, because that's 80 extra calories that I can use for things that I actually enjoy.

Nope, I'll take my mediocre bread with the lower calories and have room for 80 extra calories of wine. Or ice cream.
    I don't get much of any of my nutrients from grains, actually. I just prefer all of my carbs to be nutrient dense and high fiber. I also love wine, btw, and ice cream.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I'm definitely one that can't restrictall together. I have to partake in small amounts or it leads to an eventual binge to me. So cool how it works differently for different people though!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I mean, that's great if you get many of your nutrients from grains. I really don't. I'm not low carb by any means, but I get the bulk of my micros from the veggies I eat, along with fiber, and I get plenty of protein through meats and dairy. I'd rather not spend 160 calories for the bread on my sandwich, no matter how healthy it is, because that's 80 extra calories that I can use for things that I actually enjoy.

Nope, I'll take my mediocre bread with the lower calories and have room for 80 extra calories of wine. Or ice cream.
    I don't get much of any of my nutrients from grains, actually. I just prefer all of my carbs to be nutrient dense and high fiber. I also love wine, btw, and ice cream.

Different strokes :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm definitely one that can't restrictall together. I have to partake in small amounts or it leads to an eventual binge to me. So cool how it works differently for different people though!

Yep definitely. And I'm always happy when the community here respects both kinds of folks. cheers!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    In answer to the title question technically yes, although practically speaking it helps to make food choices that are high satiation to calorie so that you can reach your calorie goal and maintain your deficit comfortably while still getting the necessary micro and macronutrients for health.

Yes you technically could lose weight eating nothing but twinkies but it wouldn't be healthy and you would be miserable.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Different strokes :wink:
    Yup!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »

I do much better when I "can't" have anything than if I can have just a little. I have a pretty strong will power to say no pizza. But when you put a pizza in front of me and I tell myself that I can have just one slice, that one slice turns into a second slice "because I have been really good for the last week" and then a third "because I have already had two anyway so my day is ruined" until I have eaten the whole thing! Restrictions can be hard, but once you get over the craving hump, it really isn't so bad. That first week or two is rough though. I personally just find clear and defined rules much easier. If you have the will power to eat just one serving of chips or pizza or whatever junk food you like, more power to you!

Yes this is me too. When I have a plan in place (that I know I can stick to) I stick to it and work better that way.