Belly Fat Question

Options
13»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, my husband concentrates on cardio and eliptical, etc. His arms and legs have very little fat, but he has a belly.

Could be a cortisol issue. Some believe that a lot of cardio isn't a great thing since it builds up cortisol and that tends to lead to accumulation of belly fat.

I believe that.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Belly fat is the bottom row of the brick wall you are smashing down

If you haven't already - try tracking your macros and keep your fat down - say like 25%... You will chip away at the belly pretty quick

Fat doesn't make you fat

Taking extra fats on wont help though will it. Eat less like you always say

I lost belly circumference on LCHF. Disclaimer is that wheat puffs me out and causes water weight gain. So my "belly fat" very well might have been fluid retention. Plus at the same time I did recomp, and my body shape has improved. I don't mind whatever the cause as belly is flatter.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cmase0194 wrote: »
    I'm one of those people that believe you can still cut belly fat while eating at a surplus.

If that's possible, I want in, hah. I'm pretty convinced in all I've researched on it you won't cut the fat, but it will become more muscular underneath it. Maybe in a recomp or something?

I guess I don't believe in the "we can't spot reduce" statement that so many make (myself included). I think we can spot reduce to an extent.

I read about this grains of paradise pepper that helps remove stubborn fat.

I'm pretty sure this isn't what @Hornsby was talking about.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I'm one of those people that believe you can still cut belly fat while eating at a surplus.

If that's possible, I want in, hah. I'm pretty convinced in all I've researched on it you won't cut the fat, but it will become more muscular underneath it. Maybe in a recomp or something?

I guess I don't believe in the "we can't spot reduce" statement that so many make (myself included). I think we can spot reduce to an extent.

Ugh..I gave an exercise and a nutrition idea. He was advising you cant target certain fats

Advising exercise to target certain muscle groups is fine.

But there is not a pepper on this planet, no matter how exotic, that is going to remove fat from your body.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Hm? What do you mean?

I feel like in my own experience, that training can impact where fat is lost from as well. While belly fat is usually the last to come off, I also think that it is because that is also where the most fat accumulates when we are sedentary. So you may not lose fat there at a slower rate, or "last", it's just that there was more there in the first place. When you are sedentary, you still use your arms and legs, even if it's just for daily tasks and walking, but most people don't use their core if they are sedentary, so more fat accumulation in that area. Once someone's training is amped up, I don't necessarily think that the fat will go back the same way, because now your body is training different areas. I dunno, I just see so many cyclists who have lean legs, and even lean arms, but are still 30 lbs over weight because all they do is ride a bike. I know my legs leaned out faster than any other part of my body while cycling to lose weight.

So yea, I think spot reducing for the most part is not gonna happen, but I do think there are times when it can happen if that makes sense.

As far as I know, those places accumulate more fat and don't like to give it up based on the concentration of adrenergic receptors in the cells.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Ugh..I gave an exercise and a nutrition idea. He was advising you cant target certain fats

But there is not a pepper on this planet, no matter how exotic, that is going to remove fat from your body.

There are a number of studies that say different. No idea if they are right. https://www.pyroxamine.com/ingredients/grains-of-paradise

The last place I'd take information on a thing from is usually the place that is selling it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

There are a number of studies that say different. No idea if they are right. https://www.pyroxamine.com/ingredients/grains-of-paradise

Here is a much better resource than a website that sells it: https://examine.com/supplements/aframomum-melegueta/

TL;DR: Its effects are unremarkable. Save your money.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Here is a much better resource than a website that sells it: https://examine.com/supplements/aframomum-melegueta/

TL;DR: Its effects are unremarkable. Save your money.

As I expected after reading on the advertising that it has "similar thermogenic effects to hot peppers" (which are unremarkable in hot peppers).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

The last place I'd take information on a thing from is usually the place that is selling it.

Fair play..just did a quick google to be fair. I read it in Mens Health and bought it on Amazon :)

You reference Mens Health a lot. I'm sure they give good tips from time to time, but generally magazines are not a good source for actual weight loss tips. Magazines sensationalize even the tiniest effect from stuff like this because people will buy a magazine that advertises "SHRED Belly Fat with this Crazy Pepper!! p. 26". It catches people's attention and they want to learn the next "one weird trick" that's going to make them ripped and shiny.

A magazine that advertises a moderate calorie deficit and weight training in every issue wouldn't sell very many copies.

Plus they have advertising dollars to consider when they publish an article. You don't see too many hard hitting exposes on supplement scams in fluffy men's health magazines any more than you would expect to see dangerous cosmetics exposed in Vogue.

Time to publish another "Get a 6-pack by Summer" article.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options

Hm? What do you mean?

I feel like in my own experience, that training can impact where fat is lost from as well. While belly fat is usually the last to come off, I also think that it is because that is also where the most fat accumulates when we are sedentary. So you may not lose fat there at a slower rate, or "last", it's just that there was more there in the first place. When you are sedentary, you still use your arms and legs, even if it's just for daily tasks and walking, but most people don't use their core if they are sedentary, so more fat accumulation in that area. Once someone's training is amped up, I don't necessarily think that the fat will go back the same way, because now your body is training different areas. I dunno, I just see so many cyclists who have lean legs, and even lean arms, but are still 30 lbs over weight because all they do is ride a bike. I know my legs leaned out faster than any other part of my body while cycling to lose weight.

So yea, I think spot reducing for the most part is not gonna happen, but I do think there are times when it can happen if that makes sense.

The only time I know of where spot reduction may happen is if a person has a large amount of visceral fat.
    Men, and generaly women of menopausal age (PCOS maybe) tend to have more visceral fat because of their testosterone levels, and lower estrogen levels in the women.
    A calorie deficit and exercise will 'spot reduce' this fat. This is why a beer belly can be lost relatively fast. The subcutaneous fat on the belly, is lost along with the rest of the body fat depending on ones genetic disposition.

(Excess visceral fat can cause hormone disruption and make weight loss more challenging for some)

Cheers, h.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited September 2016
    Options

Fair play..just did a quick google to be fair. I read it in Mens Health and bought it on Amazon :)

You reference Mens Health a lot. I'm sure they give good tips from time to time, but generally magazines are not a good source for actual weight loss tips. Magazines sensationalize even the tiniest effect from stuff like this because people will buy a magazine that advertises "SHRED Belly Fat with this Crazy Pepper!! p. 26". It catches people's attention and they want to learn the next "one weird trick" that's going to make them ripped and shiny.

A magazine that advertises a moderate calorie deficit and weight training in every issue wouldn't sell very many copies.

I'm noticing you and others reference examine.com a lot on here. Looks a good site and funny when you go in and see that Mens Health, Mens Fitness and the Guardian Newspaper all sponsor them. My sources...

If you're talking about advertisements, many ads that you see are based on your Internet browsing habits. They target your interests because you will be more likely to click them. MFP works the same way. Doesn't make your sources any more valid.

Edit: From the disclosure on their website:
    Examine.com is an unbiased nutrition and supplement resource. We are not influenced by commercial interests, product manufacturers, or any other organization, and we will not advertise products or brands. Examine.com does not accept donations, third-party funding, or sponsorship of any kind. One hundred percent of our revenue is generated through our three products: the Examine.com Research Digest, Supplement-Goals Reference, and the Supplement Stack Guides.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I'm noticing you and others reference examine.com a lot on here. Looks a good site and funny when you go in and see that Mens Health, Mens Fitness and the Guardian Newspaper all sponsor them. My sources...

If you're talking about advertisements, many ads that you see are based on your Internet browsing habits. They target your interests because you will be more likely to click them. MFP works the same way. Doesn't make your sources any more valid.

Or yours..just one site. Never read the Boston Globe..they are not ads

From the disclosure on their website:
    Examine.com is an unbiased nutrition and supplement resource. We are not influenced by commercial interests, product manufacturers, or any other organization, and we will not advertise products or brands. Examine.com does not accept donations, third-party funding, or sponsorship of any kind. One hundred percent of our revenue is generated through our three products: the Examine.com Research Digest, Supplement-Goals Reference, and the Supplement Stack Guides.
  • PunkerGin
    PunkerGin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm the same and the reason for me is because I personally have this body type & I drink Alcohol everyday. But I'm skinny every place else. bleh...

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Or yours..just one site. Never read the Boston Globe..they are not ads

Just because they sponsor the site doesn't make them legitimate sources of anything. Marketing is targeted to specific segments that are more likely to response. If you knew of a site that people went to for supplement information and you had supplements to sell you would probably want to advertise there since you know your market is there.

As for validity, magazines and news papers are not authoritative sources, Examine sites primary research done by real researchers and not paid, anonymous grad students or journalists with no real background.