Trust--am I the only one seriously

Options
happywithme12
happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
Ok so it has come to light recently that it seems like I just cant trust a single person in this world, am I the only person that is having this issue. Should I be trying to find new friends that don't seem to think it ok to not care about how you treat other people. Please tell me I am not the only one that has been screwed over by pretty much all of my close friends.

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of trust issues...A LOT

When I quit drinking almost 100 days ago, I learned that most friends only cared about me when I was drinking, or having them over to drink. When I quit, I quit hearing from there.

This is why I have internet friends, and I am loner.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    dysfunction_demotivational_poster.jpg
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

When I quit drinking almost 100 days ago, I learned that most friends only cared about me when I was drinking, or having them over to drink. When I quit, I quit hearing from there.

Happy almost 100! Now I will keep my comments about you drunkenly deleting me to myself....after this of course.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    In what regard have you been screwed over, and how are they breaking your trust?
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Ok so it has come to light recently that it seems like I just cant trust a single person in this world, am I the only person that is having this issue. Should I be trying to find new friends that don't seem to think it ok to not care about how you treat other people. Please tell me I am not the only one that has been screwed over by pretty much all of my close friends.

You can trust me, why don't you hop in my van?
  • happywithme12
    Options

Well happy 100 days you should be proud and if you need more friends to keep you uplifted you can add me, i don't always log but i try to keep my friends feeling good about there accomplishments
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

Happy almost 100! Now I will keep my comments about you drunkenly deleting me to myself....after this of course.

me too....Tyty doesn't need reminding of how much of an he hurt his internet friends....

love you Tyty!
  • happywithme12
    Options
    dysfunction_demotivational_poster.jpg

I love this thank you I guess its true
  • happywithme12
    Options
    In what regard have you been screwed over, and how are they breaking your trust?

talking about me behind my back and not giving me the same respect that i would give to them in the same situation, i just feel like i cant tell anyone anything without other people knowing things that i don't want a bunch of people to know
  • happywithme12
    Options

You can trust me, why don't you hop in my van?

only if you have toys or candy
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that everyone isn't out to get you.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Those were not friends, they were just "drinking buddies". Huge difference. And now that you are sober, I have you find real friends. I know I did.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Those were not friends, they were just "drinking buddies". Huge difference. And now that you are sober, I have you find real friends. I know I did.

^ This. And Ty, you are rocking it, dude!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I break my own trust far more than others have broken mine.

My life-lesson is learning how to trust myself to not screw people over, not the other way around.
  • happywithme12
    Options
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that everyone isn't out to get you.

I am not paranoid, I only have a few close friends and those few what i thought were close friends apparently are not and its upsetting to know if i can't trust a few close friends who can i trust
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options

talking about me behind my back and not giving me the same respect that i would give to them in the same situation, i just feel like i cant tell anyone anything without other people knowing things that i don't want a bunch of people to know

I'm glad you weren't offended or upset by my previous post. :flowerforyou:

I must comment on this: i just feel like i cant tell anyone anything without other people knowing things that i don't want a bunch of people to know

Keep that in mind, don't tell people things you don't want others to know and you will probably be a lot better off. Don't clam up, just watch what you say. note to self: practice what you preach!

Congrats on 100 days sober to the other poster, too!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    YES! When I was 25, I moved across the country by myself. Everyone of my friends that I relied on for strength and support screwed me over in some way, or another that year. I felt so alone - and it was the hardest time of my life. SO sorry that you're going through this!!! Although I'm still friends with many of the same people, I will never rely on them or trust them the way I did back then. I have new friends and a super awesome husband - but I will never be as open and reliant on anyone as I was before.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to find some new friends.

Seriously.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Ty, I don't know if it's necessarily that they only cared about you when you were drinking. I felt that way when I quit too. Years later, looking back on it, I think that it may have just been awkward for them. They just don't know how to relate when the alcohol was a major part of the equation, and then it is off the table.

BTW, Congrats on sticking with it so long.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Just because you call someone friend doesn't mean that they need to know everything about you. I think as a whole we share way too much information with people and expect them to keep it confidential. We set them and ourselves up for failure.

There's an old expression, "a secret is only a secret until you tell someone." I have found that a circle of friends will typically include only one or two people (if even that) that you can trust with everything. I have a lot of friends, but there are different levels at which I trust them. I have one that I would feel comfortable and safe sharing anything with, probably 3-4 that I would share personal things but nothing overly sensitive, and the rest are just fun people to hang out with.

Some people might see this as not trusting people, or even that some of these people aren't 'true friends,' but the truth is many people can't be trusted. I guess it's more important to me to have people that I like to share my time with, but not so important to have people to share information with.