What to Eat with Donuts for Breakfast?

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Okay. For those of you who didn't know, every year, on September 19th, Kristy Kreme here in the U.S. has a pirate day in which you get a free glazed donut for "talking pirate" OR a full dozen for dressing up as a pirate (http://www.krispykreme.com).
I fully intend to get a dozen, have one for breakfast, freeze a few, and donate the rest to a local food pantry. According to the website, it's only 190 calories per donut, and a donut will help me reach my fat goals for the day, so I'll definitely have room, however, I know that a dessert is not the most filling breakfast. What are the best filling foods to complement the awesomeness of a donut?

Replies

• sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'd just go with a coffee and be done with it. No point in trying to make out its healthy. I did get a free glazed doughnut in the queue when Krispy kreme first opened here. Never knew you could freeze them. Before watching cals I ended up eating a half dozen over a few days! Oops. The filled ones are more call. ..lucky it's just the glazed calorie wise!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'd aim for protein. Eggs and some ham? Go crazy and use the donuts to make a breakfast sandwich by cutting it in half and putting the egg and ham in the middle. :smiley:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I agree with protein...more likely to keep you full.
  • neldabg
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'd just go with a coffee and be done with it. No point in trying to make out its healthy. I did get a free glazed doughnut in the queue when Krispy kreme first opened here. Never knew you could freeze them. Before watching cals I ended up eating a half dozen over a few days! Oops. The filled ones are more call. ..lucky it's just the glazed calorie wise!

I'm not a coffee fan, so it'd be tea for me. Hmmm... Tea with my donut does sound nice.
    I didn't know either until Google said I could! :)
    I was worse in the days before I cared more for my health. I ate a good 3/4 of my free dozen in an afternoon and finished the rest the next morning. On top of that, I still had my regular lunch, dinner, and morning breakfast. It's a miracle I wasn't fatter than I already was! Maybe the walk from my university to the shop helped some? Lol.
    auddii wrote: »
    I'd aim for protein. Eggs and some ham? Go crazy and use the donuts to make a breakfast sandwich by cutting it in half and putting the egg and ham in the middle. :smiley:

Omg! That sounds SO good!!! I think I'll give it a try!! Thanks!
    I agree with protein...more likely to keep you full.

Thanks! Will do! ^_^
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    A big glass of chocolate milk! We longer have Krispy Kreme donuts where I live, :'(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Glass of milk
  • neldabg
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    A big glass of chocolate milk! We longer have Krispy Kreme donuts where I live, :'(

Oh shoot. That's rough. I'm so sorry!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt for protein and strawberries just because.
  • bloodblackstone
    bloodblackstone Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Feel so bad for you
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I always find it really weird that a food bank will take unsealed food/half empty boxes. Here, unless it is in 100% original wrapper, and sealed (so no fresh boxed food etc) they won't take it.

I had a KK the other week for the first time in years. It was quite delicious.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Charlottesville VA in the 1970s this was a fried treat much loved by drunken frat boys in the middle of the night:

http://www.c-ville.com/corner-mainstay-the-white-spot-delivers-more-than-just-the-gus-burger

The Gus Burger with fried egg was pretty awesome too. And BTW, I was a grad student, and never experienced being a drunken frat boy.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I blend 2 tsp Quest protein powder in my coffee to have for breakfast. Works great with a donut, too.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    How about just eating half of a donut?
  • neldabg
    Options
    I always find it really weird that a food bank will take unsealed food/half empty boxes. Here, unless it is in 100% original wrapper, and sealed (so no fresh boxed food etc) they won't take it.

I had a KK the other week for the first time in years. It was quite delicious.

I disagree. As long as the food is in condition, I think it's fine to donate. I only think it's weird that my local food pantry accepts homemade leftovers. Ick.
    vingogly wrote: »
    When I lived in Charlottesville VA in the 1970s this was a fried treat much loved by drunken frat boys in the middle of the night:

http://www.c-ville.com/corner-mainstay-the-white-spot-delivers-more-than-just-the-gus-burger

The Gus Burger with fried egg was pretty awesome too. And BTW, I was a grad student, and never experienced being a drunken frat boy.

Oh wow!! Thanks! I'm adding ice cream next time.
    llbrixon wrote: »
    How about just eating half of a donut?

Blasphemy! :wink:

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Yay - enjoy your donut. I'd also say protein - a glass of milk would be perfect. Or maybe bacon. ;)
  • neldabg
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I got my dozen before the rush!!
    wgkf7qo4afi2.jpg

So, I officially went with tea and eggs topped with Laughing Cow Cheese. You can't see it in the picture, but I stuffed some bacon and green vegetables inside the egg. Thanks again for the recommendation @auddii! I heated up the donut in my toaster oven first, and then I ate half the donut as it was, and the other half I ate with the eggs as a sandwich. DE-LICIOUS!

uu6ack0p9cua.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ooh, that does look delicious! Glad you enjoyed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I agree with a protein food or drink.
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, egg
    Sandwich or wrap with meat or beans... maybe some peppers, tomato or spinach
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted the update and even more glad you got your donuts!! :) Looks delish!!