What are some things you had to unlearn from your parents?

Options

Replies

• 3M_TA3
    3M_TA3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    What I had unlearn is nothing other than my family is not a normal family...but thru the horrid jokes and gifts...(a uni-ball pen for my cousin from his mother the year after having a testicle removed due to cancer at age 19) there is nothing but love between us.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Conflict avoidance. My mom is the type that will avoid someone for a long time instead of hashing things out and moving on. I've learned that doing that causes more stress than dealing with it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    zimazoom wrote: »
    To use food as a reward.

Yeah, this for me.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »

From my dad: I had to unlearn that the best way to eat a donut was to get New England Old-Fashioned from Dunkin, split it in half, toast it, & butter it like a bagel. I won’t do that anymore, but OMG does it taste amazing.

Wow, I might actually have to try this once in my life.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say, I can't think of one thing I had to unlearn from my parents. They taught me self-reliance, perseverance, don't accept what other say, but think for yourself. If you want to be smart, read, read and then read some more. They taught me not to care what others think of me, but what I think of myself.

I really was privileged to have a couple of great parents. I wish I was half they parent they were.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My parents overall are very great. The one thing I don't do that they do is judge people as much as they do. Live and let live for the most part.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Patience, and more Patience I had to learn how to have it, they had none....
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Feeling guilty for doing things that make me happy.
  • PowerMan40
    Options
    Feeling guilty for doing things that make me happy.

I kind of forgot about that one, but *kitten* that was huge one I had to over come.
  • kayfhoward1
    kayfhoward1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "Eat everything on your plate...there are starving kids in <fill in the blank>". When I got older I just used smaller plates lol
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I used to do the groceries with my step-dad; he had a bad habit of picking up a package of cookies/chips/candy at the beginning of an aisle, and the bag would be empty by the end of the aisle. He'd also pick grapes and cherrys right out of the bins. Bad dad!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just one for me................religion.

Was it the First Confession that did it? The CCD classes?

Or being dragged to weekly Mass when the good cartoons were on?

I was constantly told I'd burn in Hell. But I made sure it backfired on the messengers. I figured that, if my mortal sins were unconfessable and unforgiveable, I'm already damned and should do whatever I please - aggressively and unrepentantly. I wised up much later on.

I'm getting flashbacks of my traumatic church-going childhood....where on Halloween night, while all my friends were Trick-or-Treating, I was in church by force.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Curse my dad was a champ dropping the f bomb in every sentence. I thought it was normal everyone one swears. Boy was I wrong
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Evangelical Christian whackjobbery.
  • Pamela_43
    Pamela_43 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That biscuits and gravy don't necessarily have to accompany every meal and tea doesn't actually need a pound of sugar, I drank unsweetened tea and....didn't die, lol. Now if my daddy comes to dinner, I make biscuits, there's gravy, and sweet tea...no need to be rude. Ha.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Pamela_43 wrote: »
    That biscuits and gravy don't necessarily have to accompany every meal and tea doesn't actually need a pound of sugar, I drank unsweetened tea and....didn't die, lol. Now if my daddy comes to dinner, I make biscuits, there's gravy, and sweet tea...no need to be rude. Ha.

Love this!
  • PowerMan40
    Options
    Pamela_43 wrote: »

would you teach me how to make real biscuits and gravy please...
  • Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I was bullied and picked on a lot. My parents taught me to ignore them and "turn the other cheek." As an adult I realized that I had to learn how to stand up for myself.

I'm in the same boat.
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    resting bit*h face. INDEFINITELY trying to unlearn that one...