Fitness, exercise and MY DOG...HELP!!! How do you do it :/

Options
First of all - Feel free to post a picture of your dog and/or of you two

To all of you dog lovers...and I know that it is plenty out there... How did you train your dog to walk and run with you? I am a new dog owner....and my dog wants to smell, sniff, pee on our walks. As a matter of fact, I'm ready to give this life up.... walking him has become difficult the bigger he gets and I am frustrated most of the time. He gets super excited if he sees another dog (and I am in a dog walking neighborhood), he doesn't know how to act if another walker passes by, annnnnnnnnnnd he sniffs and pees on everything. OMG, so irritating. I had visions of us walking and running through the neighborhood and being active and happy together. You know, all that stuff you see on TV and on the PetSmart commercials. Not so, in my case....

Any help or tips will be appreciated!!!! Sigh

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Dog obedience class, FTW! One of the things they have you work on is leash walking. You could easily ask the instructor for some guidance with running, too. Dogs are like little children, they love to explore the world around them. It takes time and patience to turn them into "working adults." I'd suggest also walking your dog at times other than your runs so he can still take the time to smell the roses. You'll want to have some signals or cues to let him know when it's "working" time for running and when he's allowed some latitude to explore.

Definitely start your dog running slowly. Remember, you have shoes but your dog doesn't and he needs time to toughen his pads as well as his muscles, joints, etc. Most dogs won't stop because they're hurt or tired so it's up to you to be careful for him.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you haven't already, sign up for a basic dog obedience class.

I ran my dog through C25k to get him used to walking. It eased him into running so he was able to ease out of all of the sniffing/marking. These days I start with a 10 minute walking warmup. He gets to check and leave a bit of pee-mail (sniff and mark) before settling in for a run.

Also--not sure how old your dog is but young pups shouldn't be taken for runs. Check with your vet to get the okay if you have a puppy.
    Thanks for your response. He is going on 9 months....I will check with the vets. And no, I haven't did the basic dog obedience class. I think i need it for sanity purposes. I had no clue they needed to sniff and mark THAT MUCH...
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    dont let him sniff, is he on a leash? tell him "leave it" and keep walking , pull him off it and get his attention on you with a treat or something. And walk faster, if you are walking quick he wont have time to stop and sniff, he'll be going too fast. Dogs are creatures of habit, the more you walk and dont let him sniff or pee the better he'll get at walking nicely with you. Go to obedience class asap.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dogs were old. I accepted that walking them was not going to big a big calorie burn for me and just enjoyed our time more sedately. They both died in the last couple of years.

Talk to your vet about the issues you are having and see what they reccomend.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    dont let him sniff, is he on a leash? tell him "leave it" and keep walking , pull him off it and get his attention on you with a treat or something. And walk faster, if you are walking quick he wont have time to stop and sniff, he'll be going too fast. Dogs are creatures of habit, the more you walk and dont let him sniff or pee the better he'll get at walking nicely with you. Go to obedience class asap.
    Yes, he is on a leash. But he has gotten pretty strong. A couple of times he has popped the collar pulling or yanking away when he sees another person or if another dog barks at him. He is super nice, but looks intimidating. He would run full speed to a person or another dog and then immediately stop and sniff you. If that were me, I would pee in my pants. And with it being so many dogs in the neighborhood, causes for a bad walk...

Someone suggested to me neutering him as well...but I'm not educated enough to make this call yet...but anything to get him focused.....
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    My dogs were old. I accepted that walking them was not going to big a big calorie burn for me and just enjoyed our time more sedately. They both died in the last couple of years.

Talk to your vet about the issues you are having and see what they reccomend.

Sorry for your loss @Lounmoun
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Most vets won't be much help for obedience issues, other than maybe referring to a local trainer/school. Definitely get some training help with basic obedience in a class setting. It will allow your dog to be around other dogs and stay focused. And no, they don't need to sniff and mark that much once they understand that you're out for a brisk walk and not dorking around. Before you start out, have the dog empty his bladder in your yard. Carry poop bags. And have fun!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Yes, he is on a leash. But he has gotten pretty strong. A couple of times he has popped the collar pulling or yanking away when he sees another person or if another dog barks at him. He is super nice, but looks intimidating. He would run full speed to a person or another dog and then immediately stop and sniff you. If that were me, I would pee in my pants. And with it being so many dogs in the neighborhood, causes for a bad walk...

Someone suggested to me neutering him as well...but I'm not educated enough to make this call yet...but anything to get him focused.....

This is unacceptable. Definitely an obidience class.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

This is unacceptable. Definitely an obidience class.

I agree. That's why I reached out to you all before I give in... He popped the collar last week and almost got hit by a car, running over to a dog that barked at him....I almost got hit trying to stop him from getting hit. When he is in the house he is orderly and listens to instruction. Outside the house, he is another creature.
  • STLBADGIRL
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Meet Rhino

Well the picture wouldn't post... I will try again....
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am certainly not an expert but everything I have read indicates that you shouldn't start running with your dog until they are at least 8 months. What breed of dog do you have? I would suggest doing what @jemhh did with her dog by taking them through the training plan. Also watch it's not too hot for their pads and watch for heat exhaustion!! Have fun....I'm so jealous...my dogs are too old to start them running with me!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Well I've never posted in a dog thread yet that didn't have very opinionated opinions, Sue. Dog threads are not for the faint-hearted. :)
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I am certainly not an expert but everything I have read indicates that you shouldn't start running with your dog until they are at least 8 months. What breed of dog do you have? I would suggest doing what @jemhh did with her dog by taking them through the training plan. Also watch it's not too hot for their pads and watch for heat exhaustion!! Have fun....I'm so jealous...my dogs are too old to start them running with me!!

Rhino is a pit-bull....the original owner died when he was about 4 months old and we got him because he wasn't in the best situation. We obvisouly have love for him and want him to grow with our family, but don't know the best about dogs.... We took him on a car ride to the park and he puked everywhere....the officer, that so happened to love dogs, told us that it was too soon to take him riding....
    oj5860rby6xk.jpg
    8ova71ppbdva.jpg

• STLBADGIRL
    Options
    He's adorable, but I grew up with pitties and if you don't get some help with him now, you will have quite a problem very soon. They are great dogs, but have very strong bodies and personalities and he WILL take charge if you don't. Pitties require a strong owner and a consistent firm hand. Don't treat him like your baby, he's a powerful animal.

Yes, this is what I am learning....I was treating him like my baby. And he is the sweetest dog, but as soon as he hit outside - big sigh....

But I will research obedience schools now.... Thanks for the feedback, because if he was going to have to find a new home...
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    He will be much happier once trained.

To run with the dog, first he's got to learn to heel, and to go on exercise walks (as opposed to sniff and pee walks). We use the "choke chain" type collar shown above, and taught him heel with treats. At first he would only heel inside the house, away from all distractions! But he figured it out eventually. Getting him neutered did make a difference too.

Also note, a powerful dog is not safe unless trained. You will be in big trouble if he isn't controlled well. They don't mind being trained, pits are smart dogs and enjoy learning.