Craving salt

controversialgf
controversialgf Posts: 18 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
My biggest downfall is crisps. I love them. I since I've given up eating them whilst on this healthy eating journey and I'm craving the salt fix.

Can anyone recommend any healthy salty treats to help?

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I eat a little coarse sea salt straight.

91WS02UJADL._SY679_.jpg

See also http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10441950/gimme-some-salt
  • controversialgf
    Beef Jerky. Salted nuts. Pretzels. Or, just eat the chips (crisps), but weigh your serving out and track it. If I'm really craving something like that and don't want to overeat, I'll just stop at a convenience store and buy a one or two serving bag. That way, my craving is satisfied, and I controlled it to the best of my ability :)

Pickles. Few cals, lots of salt.

Thanks guys :smile:
  • controversialgf
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I eat a little coarse sea salt straight.

91WS02UJADL._SY679_.jpg

See also http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10441950/gimme-some-salt

Oh wow - that's a new one haha

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    I like a little salt on a granny smith apple:)
  • controversialgf
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    I like a little salt on a granny smith apple:)

I'm eating one right now so might give it a try :smiley:
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    I love to crack a grinder of smoked sea salt and black pepper on a freshly-picked heirloom tomato. Then sprinkle on some minced basil leaves or chives...holy cow.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    salt on watermelon YUM!
  • controversialgf
    edited September 2016
    I love to crack a grinder of smoked sea salt and black pepper on a freshly-picked heirloom tomato. Then sprinkle on some minced basil leaves or chives...holy cow.

Lunch tomorrow! :smile:
  • controversialgf
    Treece68 wrote: »
    salt on watermelon YUM!

Ooooh interesting. May be worth a try :smiley:

• mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    Salt on a stick of celery = food heaven
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    Pickles definitely, and also olives, which have the added benefit of some healthy fats.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Beef Jerky. Salted nuts. Pretzels. Or, just eat the chips (crisps), but weigh your serving out and track it. If I'm really craving something like that and don't want to overeat, I'll just stop at a convenience store and buy a one or two serving bag. That way, my craving is satisfied, and I controlled it to the best of my ability :)
    This. Weight loss does occur even if one chooses to include chips/crisps in their diet.

• controversialgf
    mikevfr wrote: »
    Salt on a stick of celery = food heaven

Yummy!!
  • controversialgf
    Pickles definitely, and also olives, which have the added benefit of some healthy fats.

I'm a sucker for some olives

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I eat lots of salt.. on lots of food. No hypertension issues so I just really don't worry about it.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I salt my apples, tomatoes, & all salads & vegetables I eat. I don't have any blood pressure issues. My husband was worried about it so I just tried the Morton Lite Salt which is a mixture of regular salt & potassium chloride for a couple days. It's not bad, but it's not as good. Today I switched back to regular salt.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,819 Member
    Sauerkraut. Salted popcorn (home-made, popped without oil). Indian puppodums (like Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums). Chile pepper sauce or salsa (not the sweetened ones).
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    I'm in the USA, and you can get dill pickle chips here. Definitely a salt fix, and at 130 calories for a single serve bag, not too bad.