5:2 - plus struggling to stick with this with a holiday coming up!!

Options
Hello, I am going on holiday on Saturday and am struggling to stick with this as I know I will be going away in a few days! Have read a lot on 5:2 and I am thinking of doing this Monday and Wednesday's when I am back then maybe increasing from 1500 a day to 1600/1700 other days. Does anyone have any experience with 5:2 please? X

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hello, I am going on holiday on Saturday and am struggling to stick with this as I know I will be going away in a few days! Have read a lot on 5:2 and I am thinking of doing this Monday and Wednesday's when I am back then maybe increasing from 1500 a day to 1600/1700 other days. Does anyone have any experience with 5:2 please? X

What is your maintenance (TDEE)? http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

That's the number for the 5 days. Your deficit for the week comes from the 2 days......500 calories for women or 600 calories for men.

I zig-zag my calories differently (500 was too low for me). Still a moderate weekly weight loss goal, and maintenance on the weekends. If you are looking for a 1 pound a week loss, you are looking for a 3,500 calorie deficit for the week. You can spread that out any way you like.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Hiiiii!

This may read snotty but please don't take it that way- I'm just kind of like...

... WTFlying fudge? Is this not a calorie reduction diet that comes out in the wash with weekly energy output anyway? Why starve yourself one day to so you canbump a measly 1-200 calories the next 3? I suppose whatever works but 500 calories a day? That's misery and, if I can predict the future here... unsustainable.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a punk by any means-- just want you to be happy. Why not simply eat at that 1500 a day? Have you not seen success going that route?
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Hiiiii!

This may read snotty but please don't take it that way- I'm just kind of like...

... WTFlying fudge? Is this not a calorie reduction diet that comes out in the wash with weekly energy output anyway? Why starve yourself one day to so you canbump a measly 1-200 calories the next 3? I suppose whatever works but 500 calories a day? That's misery and, if I can predict the future here... unsustainable.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a punk by any means-- just want you to be happy. Why not simply eat at that 1500 a day? Have you not seen success going that route?

1st - It's only two (2) lower calorie days a week the other five (5) days you eat a maintenance.

2nd - I've noticed quite a few people don't eat at the recommended 500 - 600 calories on the two (2) "fast" days.

3rd - It's not recommended that the fast days be back to back either, most spread them out.

As for the original post I'd definitely do some more research on 5:2, find your tdee, and definitely check out the groups mentioned above they can be really helpful.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Hiiiii!

1st - It's only two (2) lower calorie days a week the other five (5) days you eat a maintenance.

2nd - I've noticed quite a few people don't eat at the recommended 500 - 600 calories on the two (2) "fast" days.

3rd - It's not recommended that the fast days be back to back either, most spread them out.

As for the original post I'd definitely do some more research on 5:2, find your tdee, and definitely check out the groups mentioned above they can be really helpful.

Yeah, sorry, I misquoted the 5:2 principle. I'll correct it. Point still stands, though?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Hiiiii!

Yeah, sorry, I misquoted the 5:2 principle. I'll correct it. Point still stands, though?

Some people just find it an easy way to manage calories. Restricting a lot on two days is more manageable than restricting a little on all days. It's not for me (I tried it and it wasn't terrible but it wasn't something I'd want to do long term) but to each their own.

To the OP, I would say do some more research, you're misunderstanding how the calorie spreading works by still wanting to restrict on your non-fast days. You could also consider just using a weekly goal, as many of us here do, to then "bank" calories during the week for example, that you use to have a little splurge with on the weekend. This can be a good way to manage restriction without going the whole 5:2 hog.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I also zig zag my calories also but I also happen to accidentally do intermittent fasting 16/8. It's suppose to work pretty much like 5:2 except you have an 8 hour eating window which I do between 9am-5pm. That may work better for you so that you don't have the 2 days of vlc.
  • charlottetaylor123456
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I shall be trying 5:2 but if this doesn't work I will also have a go at these other suggestions. Thanks for your help! xxx
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I actually do Alternate Day Fasting so it's 500 calories every other day and then maintenance or slightly over. It works for me because I travel constantly for work and sport. So, I don't have to stress on my high days about whether foods actually match the nutritional info on restaurant websites. There are several groups on facebook for 5:2.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I actually do Alternate Day Fasting so it's 500 calories every other day and then maintenance or slightly over. It works for me because I travel constantly for work and sport. So, I don't have to stress on my high days about whether foods actually match the nutritional info on restaurant websites. There are several groups on facebook for 5:2.

Alternate Day Fasting is great if you have quite a bit of weight to lose (like at least 75 pounds).

Aggressive dieting when you are merely overweight leads to a higher percentage of lean muscle mass loss.

Moderate pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

@Dano74 5:2 (as written) is sustainable. But there will always be those that want to distort it .......as in 2 fast days PLUS a diet. That's not what 5:2 is......even if OP found people on facebook claim that.
  • tashygolean730
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I still average 1300-1500 daily calories on ADF because I eat 10% above maintenance like the plan recommends. I average 1.5lbs a week and I have 85 left to lose after losing 40. It's not any more aggressive than a normal caloric deficit plan if one follows the plan properly. There are lots of people with only 10 lbs to lose that follow ADF as well. I find it easier to adhere to than 5:2.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I still average 1300-1500 daily calories on ADF because I eat 10% above maintenance like the plan recommends. I average 1.5lbs a week and I have 85 left to lose after losing 40. It's not any more aggressive than a normal caloric deficit plan if one follows the plan properly. There are lots of people with only 10 lbs to lose that follow ADF as well. I find it easier to adhere to than 5:2.

OP has 22 pounds to lose. She would have to eat quite a bit above maintenance for a goal of 1 pound a week.

Eating above maintenance is counter intuitive to me. I like eating at (future) goal of "off" days because I know how hard maintenance is for me.
  • charlottetaylor123456
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

OP has 22 pounds to lose. She would have to eat quite a bit above maintenance for a goal of 1 pound a week.

Eating above maintenance is counter intuitive to me. I like eating at (future) goal of "off" days because I know how hard maintenance is for me.

*****Thank you for your help. Apologies for probably sounding silly but what do you mean with that I have ego eat above maintenance for a loss. If it makes any difference I am around 50 pounds to get to a healthy BMI but I am aiming first to be the weight I was when I was a size 12 and will then reasses if I want to lose anymore. Thanks for your help
  • charlottetaylor123456
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions. X
  • tashygolean730
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Three days of an average deficit of 1500 calories is not even a 1.5lbs per week if you don't go over maintenance. On the weeks that its 4 days it is again not more than 1.5lbs per week. You make it sound much more extreme than it is. Everyone should do what works best for them. Everyone is different. For me, ADF is easier than 5:2 because of the pattern it creates. I was just giving my experience.