Emotionally fed up about loosing weight

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Glad you're here lena. There is a lot of support on mfp. Logging everything I eat everyday really has helped me.
    Part of that is I can adjust what I eat and kind of experiment to find out what gives me less of the feeling of deprivation within my calories for the day. If I go over one day, thats ok, maybe next day I can just eat more veg inplace of a higher calorie food and make up for it.
    Its hardest the first week or two, for me it got easier after that, especially when I found out what I could eat and still enjoy those foods. Sometimes its just a matter of a few spices, or a tablespoon of vinegar added to veg. Best wishes!
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I have dropped 30 lbs in 3 1/2 months doing very little exercise. I am not telling you to NOT exercise, but you cannot use it as an excuse for why you are gaining weight. Weight loss starts in the kitchen and many people above have given you great ideas on how you can start to focus on that.

As you start to lose weight and feel better, the exercise will become easier and more natural. Simple walking will help and as people have mentioned above, you don't have to walk outside! The Leslie Sansone YouTube videos area great idea - they are fun and you can do them right in your living room!
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey, that's what we're all for, support!
    I understand your anxieties about doing things alone. If my partner is not with me, I don't go anywhere past twilight. I just can't do it. I don't even like being in my apartment alone, and having a dog has helped with that, but only very slightly.

I also understand your budget anxieties, both food and money-wise. But I believe you can make it work. Veggies are actually pretty cheap, if you know where to look for them, and I'd always recommend getting them frozen or canned. Buy dry beans and eat a lot of those, you'd be surprised how fast you're full. Really, you can lose 2lb a week on only rice and beans. The stress, hunger pains, headaches, etc, will reduce once your body is used to less food intake. It's going to be unpleasant for a bit, but I believe you can make it. When all else fails, measure out what everyone else is eating and go for it, just in a smaller portion. A food scale is going to be your biggest ally here, and they can be gotten for pretty cheap at Walmart!

Also, any chance you're in the Austin, TX area? My corgi and I would love a walking partner! No judgement here.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of great advice here from people have been where you are. The only thing I'll add is that overcoming the inertia of being sedentary takes several months. For months it will be a chore to get up and exercise but you just have to do it. Schedule it on your calendar to be accountable if you need to. Gradually, there will come a time when you realize that you are an active person and you get restless when you're not moving or doing something. The balance tips and you know at that point that being active has become a lifestyle change. You can do it, start slow but whatever you do... Just do a little more than you're doing now and keep doing it. As others said, I find it incredibly motivating to browse the success stories of people just like me who have changed their lives. You're here asking for help, that's step one! Keep going!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    rcktgirl05 wrote: »
    There's a lot of great advice here from people have been where you are. The only thing I'll add is that overcoming the inertia of being sedentary takes several months. For months it will be a chore to get up and exercise but you just have to do it. Schedule it on your calendar to be accountable if you need to. Gradually, there will come a time when you realize that you are an active person and you get restless when you're not moving or doing something. The balance tips and you know at that point that being active has become a lifestyle change. You can do it, start slow but whatever you do... Just do a little more than you're doing now and keep doing it. As others said, I find it incredibly motivating to browse the success stories of people just like me who have changed their lives. You're here asking for help, that's step one! Keep going!

This is the best post yet. Take it one day at a time, OP. Make one good decision. Then make another. You can do this.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    szkodzt wrote: »
    As you start to lose weight and feel better, the exercise will become easier and more natural. Simple walking will help and as people have mentioned above, you don't have to walk outside! The Leslie Sansone YouTube videos area great idea - they are fun and you can do them right in your living room!

I have a machine I use in the winter, but I will be honest, I prefer walking over anything else. I've been known to pace from one end of my house to the other end until I get a mile or two in lol! Drives the wife crazy but when there's a foot of snow outside and I can't stand another minute on an elliptical it works for me. It got much easier for me as the pounds dropped off, I just kept at it for well over a year. Don't get discouraged!

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    How do you all fight boredom eating when there really isn't much besides computer or TV to distract yourself?
    You've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread, it's wonderful to see that. As far as snacking from boredom, I suggest finding a hobby that keeps your hands busy. Personally, I crochet while I watch tv, makes snacking near impossible. Or instead of watching tv or being on the computer, find a subject or author you enjoy reading.

I know turning down food is difficult, but if you make a conscious decision as to whether or not you will eat something, you will win. Sometimes saying it out loud makes you realize that you don't really NEED to eat something. A glass of water is a great substitute for an unhealthy snack.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    It is much more difficult when the household does not want to eat new foods. I really hate it when I try to introduce healthier options and everyone sneers and complains. I think a serious talk with the family is in order if you haven't done so already. Speaking of the family, how are the kids? Healthy weight or no? Either way
    perhaps a family walk could be possible? Just an idea.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    How do you all fight boredom eating when there really isn't much besides computer or TV to distract yourself?

Exercise/walking/hobbies/etc. are good, but when all that fails for me, I chew gum. Healthy snacks are ok, but boredom snacking is bad any way you look at it. It sets a precedent (for me anyway) and makes me just want more. Gum helps me a lot. I always hated gum before, because when I was late grade school/early high school I had braces, after that I just never got back into chewing it. Now, it helps me when I just can't stand it any more and want to snack. My problem is that even if I have enough calories for a serving of Doritos, I am not going to stop at one serving. 3 or 4 servings into it, I might think about stopping but then will probably eat a couple more servings before doing so. lol. Chips are my Achilles Heel. I tend to not bring them in the house most of the time because of it. Late snacks I generally choose no sugar (Blue Bunny) added ice cream instead. It gives me more fiber for the day and is way less calories and sodium than chips.

• snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. I am sending good thoughts and positive support your way.

This makes me sad "So the dr said no green beans, peas, corn or potatoes, cut out breads, pastas" I eat pasta (corn/quinoa) once a week and 0 bread. I eat all of those things you have there including fruit. I have lost 10 pounds in 2 months and my fibroids are greatly decreasing as is my blood pressure. I don't eat dairy or meat period.

A respectful suggestion would be to do some research on a plant based diet if you can, if you absolutely cannot give up meat, maybe combine the two? Eat mostly plant based and then some animal meat? I would lose the dairy, I found out that I had an allergy to cheese and milk (cream) (which I dearly love), gave it up all dairy three months ago and some major issues have decreased or have gone away such as IBS.

All the best to you. Here is a site to look at: www.nutritionfacts.org The doctor there does a lot of research on health related issues.

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Exercise/walking/hobbies/etc. are good, but when all that fails for me, I chew gum. Healthy snacks are ok, but boredom snacking is bad any way you look at it. It sets a precedent (for me anyway) and makes me just want more. Gum helps me a lot. I always hated gum before, because when I was late grade school/early high school I had braces, after that I just never got back into chewing it. Now, it helps me when I just can't stand it any more and want to snack.

I've started to chew sugarless gum, Orbit peppermint or spearmint. I went back to college, so I'm often up late reading or writing papers and feel like snacking -- not so much from boredom, but from nerves. I reach for gum or have an apple.

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, but as others have said, you have come to the right place. Sometimes things are said a little bluntly, but if you can get past that there is great advice to be had here by people who have lost weight and kept it off. Many of them were in your situation or worse at one time, they just had to get out of their own way and are trying to convey that to you.
    Don't worry about changing everything at once. Don't be embarrassed by how little you can do or how slow you can do it. Do what you can do and don't push yourself to failure in one go at it. Instead try to have multiple successful small attempts at exercise. Going out and walking for 5 minutes 10 different times isn't going to be that much different for you than one 45 minute walk. (Except you probably will be able to do the same tomorrow)
    As far as diet, if you can afford leafy green things they can be pretty filling for lower calories. There are a lot of vegetables that aren't terribly high carb and you can usually find them on sale frozen. Roasted with a little olive oil, maybe balsamic vinegar and salt or spices on it can be a good taste and filling.
    This isn't easy and I wish you the best. It does have to come from within you, but you can do it.
  • kishawest
    kishawest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    My heart goes out to you. I am sending good thoughts and positive support your way.

This makes me sad "So the dr said no green beans, peas, corn or potatoes, cut out breads, pastas" I eat pasta (corn/quinoa) once a week and 0 bread. I eat all of those things you have there including fruit. I have lost 10 pounds in 2 months and my fibroids are greatly decreasing as is my blood pressure. I don't eat dairy or meat period.

A respectful suggestion would be to do some research on a plant based diet if you can, if you absolutely cannot give up meat, maybe combine the two? Eat mostly plant based and then some animal meat? I would lose the dairy, I found out that I had an allergy to cheese and milk (cream) (which I dearly love), gave it up all dairy three months ago and some major issues have decreased or have gone away such as IBS.

All the best to you. Here is a site to look at: www.nutritionfacts.org The doctor there does a lot of research on health related issues.

Wow!!.. Its somethings i need to research. Thnx for the post
  • jah0001
    jah0001 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am almost the in the same situation with you. Migrated to South Korea (hubby's country) because we're literally bankrupt. Can't afford to buy those healthy foods I saw on internet. Plus to make it worse I'm 198lbs living in a community where almost everyone is under 120lbs. Seriously, they're all THIN! Can't find clothes or even jeans on my size, if there is it's expensive (which we can't afford, coz we need to buy our necessities first) . There's no walking / running sidewalks here and it feels like everyone is looking at me whenever I walk. So I decided to exercise at home watching videos on youtube while listening to some motivating songs. Really helps, now 169lbs and can fit to 32 inches sized pants. It's not easy but you have to be focused. And believe that you can do it because you CAN. ❤
  • lenacrigger
    lenacrigger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank each and every one of you for your responses!

I find with the depression, I tend to get in really bad slumps emotionally, and weight loss is a big trigger or that. Yes, Most of what is bothering me is easy to change but it's the THOUGHT of the change and "how am I suppose to afford this" or "How can I even accomplish this", that really gets me. But, I did the same thing with smoking. I smoked for 12 years and my boyfriend wanted to quit. We switched to E-cigs and for a while I refused to give up real cigarettes and would almost panic when thinking about going without them.

I do find that my main snacking times are from 4pm-midnight. That is when Jeff heads to work till his lunch break. From Midnight-6am, it is a little easier not to snack.

The hardest to monitor for me is going to be the Carbs. I am not usually a sweets person, I am more of Salty, and most of my "Lunches" or "Snacks" are Carb filled food. I was surprised to find that Salami is a good snack food and chunk cheese so I am going to grab some of those. I also bought Coconut Oil for my hair and I am going to eat a teaspoon of that a day and see if that helps.

Dinners are not a HUGE problem, especially if I can watch my carbs during the day, then the carbs for dinner won't be such a huge problem.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When I started back at the end of May, I could barely walk to the end of my short driveway, now I'm up to 8500 steps per day and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! My best tip is to walk inside your house! I have a hard time walking outside due to heat and allergies and in the winter, serious cold will also be a problem, but none of that is a problem inside my house! The major problem in the house is boredom, so I will put on some nice music that I like and sort of dance along some of the time. I watch movies or favorite TV programs while I walk. I stepped off how many steps there are in a circuit path from the living room to the kitchen and back, so that I don't have to count every step. Every time I make it to the stove I put a dried bean in a jar to keep up with how many trips I make. Then I count out the beans when I'm done and multiply by the number of steps in a circuit and waalaa, I know how many steps I made! When you track every bite you take and everything you drink, and add your steps into the equation you will know how many extra calories you can eat each day to the number that you are allowed or you can "bank" them for a special treat or special occasion or just have some extra weight loss! You can do this and we are here to encourage and share our best with you!
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here. I will add one more. Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. He or she roll probably be happy to give you one. And they can be very helpful.