Nothing working, close to despair

Options
I am a repeat mfp person. Never been really heavy but since the onset of perimenopause and now menopause, there is 10-15 pounds I simply can't lose. I am petite - 5' 2.5 and very small frame.

I work with a very good personal trainer 2x week doing strength training ( been working with a trainer for 13 years). I also swim 2x week, 30-40 minutes. I run 5k on Saturdays with stairs (2 sets). And Sunday's I do yin yoga ( sometimes vinyasa on Weednesdays). So I am active for a sedentary person.

I never ever eat junk ( every once in a while I give in and have a biscotti). I eat at home mostly. Clean. Protein every meal, lots of fresh veg. I drink sparingly.

For a month I have been tracking on mfp ( I weigh and measure most foods so am sure I am not underestimating). I eat 1000-1100 calories a day , which is low but I am tiny and I wasn't losing on 1200.

I went to see my naturopath who will test my hormones. I know my DHea and cortisol are low they have been for years.

I sleep well, I love my job, in a commited long distance relationship. My stress is ok, see a shrink have been seeing him for 8 years.

HELP. I could get rid of 1 tsp maple syrup at breakfast, eliminate alcohol completely. I already eat almost no sugar, virtually no wheat.

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am a repeat mfp person. Never been really heavy but since the onset of perimenopause and now menopause, there is 10-15 pounds I simply can't lose. I am petite - 5' 2.5 and very small frame.

I work with a very good personal trainer 2x week doing strength training ( been working with a trainer for 13 years). I also swim 2x week, 30-40 minutes. I run 5k on Saturdays with stairs (2 sets). And Sunday's I do yin yoga ( sometimes vinyasa on Weednesdays). So I am active for a sedentary person.

I never ever eat junk ( every once in a while I give in and have a biscotti). I eat at home mostly. Clean. Protein every meal, lots of fresh veg. I drink sparingly.

For a month I have been tracking on mfp ( I weigh and measure most foods so am sure I am not underestimating). I eat 1000-1100 calories a day , which is low but I am tiny and I wasn't losing on 1200.

I went to see my naturopath who will test my hormones. I know my DHea and cortisol are low they have been for years.

I sleep well, I love my job, in a commited long distance relationship. My stress is ok, see a shrink have been seeing him for 8 years.

HELP. I could get rid of 1 tsp maple syrup at breakfast, eliminate alcohol completely. I already eat almost no sugar, virtually no wheat.

How tiny?
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree that the calorie counts are iffy no matter where they come from. I am also 5 ft. and 65 yrs old. I dropped to 900 calories at one point and had minimal success except that I was very successful at becoming light in the head and had difficulty concentrating. There was a BBC series about weight loss and there are reasons that some of us need a more controlled diet. If you google "BBC low responders weight loss research" you might be able to find the programs. It might give you some direction. I would look into research based programs because there are reasons some of us struggle more than others and simple calorie counting is not the solution. I wish it was... it would be so much easier.
  • ckfromedmonton
    ckfromedmonton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seeing naturopath, checking hormone levels, I know I am not a scientific marvel but I am very commited to losing and have hit this wall so many times. Trained for and ran a half marathon and lost zilch. Thanks for your response. Will stick to it,
  • ckfromedmonton
    ckfromedmonton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you need to lose it? What's your BMI? Remember it is normal to increase in weight with age, some fat can be protective for women in later life. Check your BMI against a calculator that takes account of age as well as gender. If you are in the healthy range but just not happy with how you look, strength training might work better for you than weight loss.
  • xperiencerage
    xperiencerage Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What about doing cardio first thing in the morning with an empty stomach? Remember to have food ready cause you'll feel weak after you are done. Take the number 220 and subtract your age. Then multiply by .6 and .8. The numbers you get is the heart rate you need to get to lose the most fat possible. For example, I'm 20 years old so if I subtracted 20 from 220 and multiplied by .6 and .8 I'd get 120 and 160. If I stay bet those two I burn the most fat I can that's also healthy.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    OP, I do t have any advice to offer but good for you for sticking with a personal trainer as you get older. So many of us women lose weight but forget about the benefits for our bones and hearts for the long term with strength training. Myself included.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    As active as you are, it may be that those 10-15 pounds are supposed to be there. I don't know your weight or BMI, but if your doctor says you are at a healthy weight for your age and height, perhaps you should go into maintenance. Keep working out and eating healthy, but stop beating yourself up.
  • peggyyaeger9
    peggyyaeger9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid function tested? I have hypothyroidism and even with medication I have a very difficult time losing weight, although it is not impossible. Before medication, no amount of diet and exercise would bring my weight down. Get it checked and don't give up!