Sensitive Subject

Options

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    I dont know, anyone who is big enough to break furniture.

I did state that the weight limit's 300 pounds, when I responded; to other's questions. That to me, seems to be a low weight limit, for furniture.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options

I did state that the weight limit's 300 pounds, when I responded; to other's questions. That's a low weight limit, for furniture.

that seems low no? Didn't you say it's a futon? So it will only hold two 150 lb people? That seems odd. I would just hope for the best I think
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    To be honest, it could probably take more weight, but for liability issues, they put way less.

That also, I could be sued; if they become injured & I can't afford to replace, broken furniture either.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Then you will have a real deficit, duchess ;)

My weight loss, is a real; caloric deficit!
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Well thank you everyone!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    We seriously, after buying a nice, new sectional, had a visiting family sit on it and BREAK THE BACK! Like we just paid $1200 and he broke it within a day. It creaks and moves and squeaks to this day. Then, my wife's mom bought her this nice recliner for our nursery, for my wife to feed our newborn while sitting on. Within a week of owning that, a visiting guest broke that piece of furniture as well. We've never broached the subject, so I can't help here, but I sure as heck can sympathize. Sucks beyond belief, especially bc we have been so good about our weight and level of fitness.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it could probably take more weight, but for liability issues, they put way less.

That also, I could be sued; if they become injured & I can't afford to replace, broken furniture either.

You can really be sued if somebody sits in your chair and injures themselves ??
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Iscah13 wrote: »

You can be sued by anyone, whom becomes injured; in your home, apartment, vehicle, etc.
  • _Sugar_interrupted
    Options

Then go buy furniture to accommodate the mandatory guest whom you care about.

If what you have won't work & you're worried you'll get sued- a real piece of furniture will cost a lot less than a lawsuit.

Problem solved.
  • Iscah13
    Options
    Yea my sister is a lawyer and she just gave me a " maybe" when I asked her. I'm shocked and sad by this. Thankfully my mom didn't injure herself and hire my sister to sue me after she busted my chair. We could have been on Maury.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Anything that happens in your house that results in injury can be turned into a lawsuit sure. Similar to slip and fall in a store or at work. Anyone can sue anyone for anything anymore. Doesnt mean youll necessarily win , but it can be very much a nuisance.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    bah damnit I was on other page when I wrote that lol
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Iscah13 wrote: »

At least in the USA, anybody can sue anybody else for any reason. It doesn't mean they're going to win, but just being sued is losing, even if you win. You have to take time away from work or personal affairs, you probably have to hire an attorney even if you're right, etc. Best to avoid it.

Also there's sort of this basic assumption that things that look safe and need routine maintenance, are safe and get maintenance. If you have a chair set out, and a guest coming over, your guest is going to assume the chair is safe to sit in unless you warn them it's not. There have been stories about criminals breaking into peoples' houses, getting injured, and suing the owner. People are sort of on edge about it.
  • Iscah13
    Options
    So maybe blow up furniture is the answer. It's soft and safe..ish.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

Then go buy furniture to accommodate the mandatory guest whom you care about.

If what you have won't work & you're worried you'll get sued- a real piece of furniture will cost a lot less than a lawsuit.

Problem solved.

1st I shouldn't have to, accommodate anyone & 2nd being disabled since 14 years of age, means even if they won; there's nothing to win. It'd cost them, to sue me but I'd like to avoid, the extra inconvenience; to my already inconvenient life!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I was/am the over weight guest! At my max weight (376) my son and DIL told me to sit on the sturdy wooden IKEA chair not their good kitchen dining room chairs. It was embarrassing but I was nearing 400 Pounds!!!
    I have lost 131# and weigh 245 I hope I can someday sit on their good furniture.

DIL also accused me of breaking their computer chair in their office. She also forbid me to sit on some patio furniture!
    No fun being the Fat Gramps!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Options
    Throw some pillows on the floor and say you're doing a Moroccon style thing

This made me COL (chuckle out loud).
  • Jimb376mfp
    Options

How helpful.