Sensitive Subject

Options

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I've had a guest in my home break not 1 but 2 of my kitchen chairs. I love her to pieces so I saved faced her and acted like it wasn't a big deal. I'm very nervous when she visits.

My niece and her fatasss husband broke a futon in the guest bedroom. They pisssed me off because they did not say a word about it. I found out after they had left. They are never allowed to sleep over again. The end.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Don't even worry about it. If they break it two things will happen...1..they will feel so embarrassed (punishment enough), 2 they will offer to buy you a new one

Yeah number 2 won't happen. Sit on your broken furniture and wait for it.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    Don't even worry about it. If they break it two things will happen...1..they will feel so embarrassed (punishment enough), 2 they will offer to buy you a new one

Well I am the type of person, who'd pay for something; that I broke. It's just that depending upon the price, It might have to be; in installments.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Do you have a kitchen counter? Maybe stand at the counter to go over the paperwork? That might be safer and might seem natural if you're already set up there. I don't know if the layout of your kitchen would support this.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited September 2016
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Do you have a kitchen counter? Maybe stand at the counter to go over the paperwork? That might be safer and might seem natural if you're already set up there. I don't know if the layout of your kitchen would support this.

Just wow, I totally over thunk this issue; you're a genius! Thank you! It's just in my lack of the idea myself defense, my guests & I, were always seated; on my furniture.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    :smiley:
  • _Sugar_interrupted
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    To be honest, it could probably take more weight, but for liability issues, they put way less.

That also, I could be sued; if they become injured & I can't afford to replace, broken furniture either.

Then go buy furniture to accommodate the mandatory guest whom you care about.

If what you have won't work & you're worried you'll get sued- a real piece of furniture will cost a lot less than a lawsuit.

Problem solved.

1st I shouldn't have to, accommodate anyone & 2nd being disabled since 14 years of age, means even if they won; there's nothing to win. It'd cost them, to sue me but I'd like to avoid, the extra inconvenience; to my already inconvenient life!

They could take your futon & 2 chaises.

I was always under the impression that you should always attempt accommodate guests... Mama musta raised a fool.

My bad!
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

Well I am the type of person, who'd pay for something; that I broke. It's just that depending upon the price, It might have to be; in installments.

I would absolutely pay for anything I'm responsible for damaging but not everyone is like that. At least not in my experience.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    To be honest, it could probably take more weight, but for liability issues, they put way less.

That also, I could be sued; if they become injured & I can't afford to replace, broken furniture either.

If what you have won't work & you're worried you'll get sued- a real piece of furniture will cost a lot less than a lawsuit.

Problem solved.

1st I shouldn't have to, accommodate anyone & 2nd being disabled since 14 years of age, means even if they won; there's nothing to win. It'd cost them, to sue me but I'd like to avoid, the extra inconvenience; to my already inconvenient life!

I was always under the impression that you should always attempt accommodate guests within reason

I agree!
  • _Sugar_interrupted
    Options

Problem solved.

I was always under the impression that you should always attempt accommodate guests within reason
    FIFY
    I agree!

FIFY
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited September 2016
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Just wow, I totally over thunk this issue; you're a genius! Thank you! It's just in my lack of the idea myself defense, my guests & I, were always seated; on my furniture.

Large people always have sore feet, well, lots of times anywas...they are going to want to sit probably. But its your house....your rules. I still say you can easily purchase a folding chair...probably even at walmart....and probably not too expensive. Other than that I'd direct them to where you want them to sit...or if you decide...stand...but be prepared for them to want to sit.
    Just stop using semi-colons and commas, throw down some pillows, buy a Kotatsu and call it a day.

Really big people can't easily sit on the floor though...its hard for them to get back up. Just pointing that out....

Great points, thank you!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    When people want to come to my house, I tell them sure, but the toilet is not working properly (so they can take care of that before they come). Really hate strangers in my bathrooms, family ok. Same here, tell this person (who sounds like they are not a close friend of yours) that you don't have a place for them to sit, sorry (no need to say why).

As mentioned, fat people know they are fat and probably have busted something way before they get to your place. If they can't stand for the 15 or 20 minutes it takes to go through the paperwork, they should be claiming disability.

And also, maybe they can email you the documents for you to review so that you won't spend a bunch of time asking questions as you read through the documents.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    What is this? Furniture for ants!?!?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Be honest and direct. Don't muddle around and try to avoid the issue. There's no other way around this.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    why has this thread;become a mess??

OP do the standing ; in the kitchen against.the counter thing
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    I've done all sorts of things on furniture, things that they were never intended for, and have never broken a thing. I'm calling BS on the whole thing.

Well I am not willing to, risk it; by "testing" it! So I'll just have to assume, that the weight limit's factual.

I don't know much about furniture. But I know a little bit about bikes. At its core, a bike is a handful of parts that each weigh a few pounds, and hold the rider's body weight plus gear and cargo. I guess that's a little like furniture.

Usually some engineers come up with a pretty good idea what a frame or wheel or whatever will hold, then the lawyers cut that number in half for a safety margin.