How often do you wash you hair?

Options

Replies

• sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm team dry shampoo. I wash my hair 3ish times a week with a sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner (Not Your Mother - Clean Freek is my favorite, along with their dry shampoo).

Honestly, I think my hair looks better on "dirty" days - ha!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Once a week or depending on how long I can stretch out a style once every 2 weeks.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair pretty much every day. If I have a day where I don't need to be in public, I might skip a day. I do have oily skin so if i don't wash it, my hair looks pretty crazy. My hair stylist knows this about me so it could depend on your skin type. If you have dry skin, you probably don't need to wash every day.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Most shampoo contains sulfates and alcohols which REALLY dry out and damage your hair. It's why they had to make conditioner, because the shampoo does it's job so well it strips out both the good and bad oils from your hair and scalp. And you don't want that!

You can try a low poo shampoo (I use devacurl personally) or a dry shampoo, or just freshen it up and use conditioner only. Some people do no-poo shampoos and create a mix of baking soda/water + an apple cider vinegar/water rinse instead. I did that for a few months or so and enjoyed it, I picked out my own scents and added it to my home made shampoo.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8953/diy-this-baking-soda-shampoo-saved-my-hair.html
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My hair is long, straight, and dry, so I normally just wash it a couple times a week, rinse near the scalp after I run and leave the length dry (or throw some conditioner in the ends if necessary...sometimes my hair just ends up feeling dryer instead of greasier after a day or two), or just use a little dry shampoo if I didn't sweat much.

Because of my hair's natural texture and my tendency to have dry, brittle hair and nails, dry skin and lips, etc etc, it feels so much better when I don't shampoo too much. I wear it pulled back every day anyway so I don't know i it looks better or worse though...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I wash mine twice per week tops. Sometimes only once. I had to work up to that though. My hair is much nicer than when I washed it every day.

I use cocoa powder in my hair during the week when it gets a little oily. It doesn't show the white residue like dry shampoo and doesn't dry out the hair.
  • mablade18
    mablade18 Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    I am also a curly head, but I wash mine every day. I sweat too much during my morning exercise and I'd just feel gross the rest of the day. My hair is as healthy as it's ever been, but I also use oil in it every day too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Every day after exercising.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I shower every day after work out and rinse my hair and put in conditioner. I only use shampoo 2-3x per week.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I admit though. I may was my hair once or twice per week but I'm not really that sweaty. I don't do cardio.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wash mine twice per week tops. Sometimes only once. I had to work up to that though. My hair is much nicer than when I washed it every day.

I use cocoa powder in my hair during the week when it gets a little oily. It doesn't show the white residue like dry shampoo and doesn't dry out the hair.

I wouldn't have thought of using cocoa powder. You must smell nice, too!

There are colored dry shampoos out there, too. Before I lightened my hair I had one specifically for brunettes.
  • arditarose
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I wouldn't have thought of using cocoa powder. You must smell nice, too!

There are colored dry shampoos out there, too. Before I lightened my hair I had one specifically for brunettes.

Yes but the cocoa powder is just...cocoa. It's awesome. Doesn't dry out the scalp at all. When I tried it the first time I couldn't believe how NICE my hair actually looked. My friends who have a bit lighter color hair add baby powder or baking soda to the cocoa powder.

It does smell nice. Sometimes when I start getting a little hot/sweaty I can smell the cocoa lol.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Usually I wash my hair. Don't wash for two days. Then wash. Sometimes I go one day, and sometimes three days. But, usually two days.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Pretty much nearly every day. I've dry hair, that's wavy, but I straighten it. After sleeping on it, it looks horrible and doesn't restraighten nicely, so I wash. I tried the conditioner only thing, but just didn't feel clean or straighten well. I can't see me changing now.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    every two or three days usually. I would wash it everyday but ive also been told its bad for it.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I wash mine at least once a day for the most part, with cheap shampoo. Just got my haircut last week and the only comment I got was that my hair was so soft and silky she was jealous.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I wash mine every 4 days. Dry shampoo is your friend.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    A couple times a week. Hair washing mostly to coincide with pool days. If I swim and my hair gets completely wet I will wash with a special shampoo to help remove the chlorine. Aquasize days just keep it up in a hat and don't get wet, then may or may not wash it depending on how long it's been since last time.

I'm intrigued by the cocoa as dry shampoo idea. Seems like it could get pretty messy during the application. How does it go on? With a spoon? or some other method? Is there a special trick?