Is your diet boring?

Options
13»

Replies

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I were just commenting that when we are more health conscious and focused on what it going in our mouths.....our meals seem WAY more varied, coulorful and exciting.
    I buy all kinds of veg, I search for lower cal items to replace a typical snack of Doritos
    Our diets now are the furthest thing from boring
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I shop at Costco so I do tend to rotate a lot of the same foods - because I have a lot of it! I don't find it boring though. I enjoy what I eat. It can taste a little different with a few changes (spices, cheese, sauces).

High five!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Mine is kind of boring because I hate logging a crap ton of ingredients and I prefer volume so I just eat a lot of veg and protein.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it too much.. just eat what I eat. Basically the same just prepared differently. Far too lazy to spend a lot of time on prep lol

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lentil, swiss chard and sweet potato curry. Tandoori quinoa. Jambalaya. Swedish meatballs. Cowboy beans and cornbread. I wouldn't call my diet boring. I adjust the recipes to lower the saturated fat and sodium levels. Other than that, if it fits and I like it...I eat it!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Is your diet boring?

Not at all. I eat a wider variety of food now than I did before I started with MFP.

When I started with MFP, I made the decision that I would eat only foods I liked ... I would not waste my calories on anything I didn't like.

I also explored markets and grocery stores and so on all over the place to find foods that I might like and would fit within my calorie limit ... and I discovered all sorts of options I hadn't noticed before.

And ... I tend to be more of a 'food is fuel' sort of person anyway, so as long as it is the right texture, and as long was what little bit of flavour I detect is OK, I'm good. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not boring to me. I like to cook. I like food. I'm not going to eat chicken breast and broccoli every day.
    I eat all kinds of foods in appropriate portions sizes for me. The trick is learning what those portion sizes are. Logging helps.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    My 'food world' really opened up when I started getting into spices and herbs- game changer - even using teas as rubs. One can change the same food and change it into whatever your mood.

Oh and then there are salts too! There are so many kinds and are so amazing.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What I eat isn't "boring" to me but others might think otherwise.

I have the same protein drink for breakfast everyday. Usually have another protein drink w/turkey or chicken breast and fresh fruit for lunch. Dinner is the "creative" meal, something different everyday. Sometimes simple and sonetimes complex but basically it includes meat/fish, veg, fruit and sometimes pasta or rice.

Thing is, I just consider food, food. It's not comfort or entertainment. It's something I need to eat to maintain my health and strength. Wouldn't matter to me if I had to eat the same thing all the time as long as my health and nutrition was maintained.

So, while some food may be more attractive and tasty than others, no food is really "boring" to me.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of different friends who are both in amazing shape and spend a lot of time on their overall health but I see them eating the same things all the time.

I've read elsewhere that this is pretty common with maintainers. I do it too, generally, for the same reasons everybody else is saying: it's easier than variety and you've already figured out the stats.

So I have my standard, default food. I've gradually improved parts of it (ie:"iterated") over time as I get better at cooking or whatever, so I think it's really good at this point.

But if I were into cooking as a big hobby or something, I'd probably be bored with it. And then would put in the effort to mix it up more. But I'm not, so I don't.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    not boring.

yes, most weekday mornings I have the same oatmeal with mixed with greek yoghurt, cottage cheese and fruit but that's about the only thing I regularly have. Weekends I might cook a fry up or buy some sourdough from the artisan bakery down the road.

I like to cook, but have limited time to do so as my evenings are taken up with various activities. I tend to cook/create a batch of salad for my lunch during the week, this is usually a vegetarian-based dish, could be a rice salad (Ottolenghi cookbooks are good for getting flavours) but this week is a mix of udon noodles, beetroot, radish, apples, cucumber, tomatoes, a soy marinade and baked tofu. I ran out so made a spicy salsa for tomorrow lunch with avocado and feta.

dinners tend to be quick - I have a few 'fast and easy' type cookbooks. Nigel Slater and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall are great for focussing on quick delicious combinations. You can get a lot of flavour with few ingredients. At weekends I might roast a chicken (leftovers to have with my salad) or go all out and do a persian lamb dish or something.

I'm a big fan of Persian flavours, which means you can have delicious foods that are incredibly healthy, plenty of beans and pulses but a bit of meat thrown in now and then (meat tends to be a side dish for me).

I do start thinking about what I'm going to throw together some time in the afternoon and on my drive home from work. It means I get excited about what to have that evening rather than just grabbing something. I hate the 'food is fuel' idea - no, for me, food should be tasty and delicious and something I want to enjoy sitting down to, rather than just necessary
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is less the caloric density of the food, and more a question of how much effort someone wants to put into finding and/or creating a wider variety of foods in their diet. You can just as easily have a "boring" diet if you eat the same high-calorie foods all the time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think the issue is less the caloric density of the food, and more a question of how much effort someone wants to put into finding and/or creating a wider variety of foods in their diet. You can just as easily have a "boring" diet if you eat the same high-calorie foods all the time.

I have wondered about this too. Is a diet made up on junk food and candy more "exciting" than one based on cooking from scratch? I actually find real food more "exciting" than junk food now - junk tastes "more", as in more intense, but real food has "more" diversity and subtle nuances - more difficult to pick up, but more rewarding and satisfies for longer. I sound like a gourmet and an idiot guru, and maybe that's what I've become :D

girlinahat wrote: »
    not boring.

yes, most weekday mornings I have the same oatmeal with mixed with greek yoghurt, cottage cheese and fruit but that's about the only thing I regularly have. Weekends I might cook a fry up or buy some sourdough from the artisan bakery down the road.

I like to cook, but have limited time to do so as my evenings are taken up with various activities. I tend to cook/create a batch of salad for my lunch during the week, this is usually a vegetarian-based dish, could be a rice salad (Ottolenghi cookbooks are good for getting flavours) but this week is a mix of udon noodles, beetroot, radish, apples, cucumber, tomatoes, a soy marinade and baked tofu. I ran out so made a spicy salsa for tomorrow lunch with avocado and feta.

dinners tend to be quick - I have a few 'fast and easy' type cookbooks. Nigel Slater and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall are great for focussing on quick delicious combinations. You can get a lot of flavour with few ingredients. At weekends I might roast a chicken (leftovers to have with my salad) or go all out and do a persian lamb dish or something.

I do start thinking about what I'm going to throw together some time in the afternoon and on my drive home from work. It means I get excited about what to have that evening rather than just grabbing something. I hate the 'food is fuel' idea - no, for me, food should be tasty and delicious and something I want to enjoy sitting down to, rather than just necessary

I too love to cook, and I have plenty of time, and I don't aim to use as little time as possible planning, cooking and eating; but I'm lazy - I like to achieve what I want for the least possible effort. This means that my meals are simple. But it doesn't mean that I don't get excited, and I love to plan my meals, I am careful while picking ingredients and preparing them. Food is fuel AND enjoyment to me. (I used to seperate those two when I was fat so I know that's not going to work for me.)
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You need to take the things you loved and make them healthier. For instance, I love pizza and burgers with a passion. Therefore, I make them at home. Pizza I use whole wheat 100 cal. flat bread with pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, fat free cheddar, diced onions and green peppers. I can have the whole pizza for a little over 200 calories and not feel guilty. The burgers I usually by the Butterball frozen turkey burger (seasoned is my fav) and couple it with a whole wheat bun or lettuce bun with mustard, fat free cheese, pickles. All this for less than 300 calories. If you love mash potatoes make cauliflower mash potatoes with cheese and bacon pieces. If the cauliflower isn't your thing mix it with a little instant potato flakes. Top it with spray butter and chives. Enjoy.