Is there any point in doing ab exercises with a big belly?

kaybabii08
kaybabii08 Posts: 31 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Before everyone jumps on here saying "you can't spot reduce weight loss" I already know that...ok? K!

I have been working out (cardio + strength training) for 2 weeks now! Yes, I'm also eating clean and drinking water. But I was reading this fitness article that said doing ab workouts while you're still fat will just make your stomach stick out further because you're making your ab muscles bigger behind fat. So my question is, am I doing core/an exercises for no reason? And Should I just skip that part of my workout?

I feel my core burning even after I'm done, but I don't want to make my belly stick out any further than it already is!

Replies

• kaybabii08
    You're not going to make your belly stick out further. Strengthening your core can have a lot of benefits, not the least of which is decreasing back pain and improving your posture (proper posture can even decrease the extent of your belly jutting out).

Now, it should be productive core work, not a zillion crunches. What are you doing for your strength training?

Thank you! I have dumb bells, weighted gloves, and I use my body weight too!so lunges, squats, triceps dips, triceps kick backs, bridges, pushups, stuff like that. I just got started so I'm easing my way up lol
  • kaybabii08
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Awesoooome!

Keep those ab exercises up. You need a strong core for a lot of other stuff. It's not a matter of getting abs, it's a matter of balance and stability and helps avoid injury in other physical fun times.

While your core muscles can get thicker, it's not going to make your stomach stick out further.

Thanks because I was about to give up all together. I was thinking to myself how the neck can working out a muscle make me look fatter
  • kaybabii08
    1nprgr3s wrote: »
    I do lots of core workout and it doesn't make my fat belly stick out anymore.

Have you noticed any change?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    In a deficit, you won't build so much muscle that it making your stomach stick out will be a problem.
  • kaybabii08
    jemhh wrote: »
    In a deficit, you won't build so much muscle that it making your stomach stick out will be a problem.

Well what's the point of doing them if they don't make your stomach smaller and you're working,muscle that you won't see until you lose the fat on top of them?

I do them because I was told they would keep my stomach skin from sagging while I'm losing weight. I'm already down 13 lbs. I just don't want saggy skin, and to be toned everywhere else.
  • jemhh
    kaybabii08 wrote: »

Well what's the point of doing them if they don't make your stomach smaller and you're working,muscle that you won't see until you lose the fat on top of them?

I do them because I was told they would keep my stomach skin from sagging while I'm losing weight. I'm already down 13 lbs. I just don't want saggy skin, and to be toned everywhere else.

The point would be to have a stronger core now with the possibility of having more visible abs when you lose the fat.

Ab exercises will not keep stomach skin from sagging. That ship has sailed already. If it's gonna sag, it's gonna sag. Only losing the fat and being patient as your skin shrinks as much as it can will help now. Don't worry about it right now. Losing the weight is going to make you feel and look good (not that you don't look good now) saggy skin or not.
  • kaybabii08

The point would be to have a stronger core now with the possibility of having more visible abs when you lose the fat.

Ab exercises will not keep stomach skin from sagging. That ship has sailed already. If it's gonna sag, it's gonna sag. Only losing the fat and being patient as your skin shrinks as much as it can will help now. Don't worry about it right now. Losing the weight is going to make you feel and look good (not that you don't look good now) saggy skin or not.

Well crap lol I was hoping to avoid that.I can say I do feel better now that I'm working out! Thank you :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    always do ab exercises
  • jemhh

Well crap lol I was hoping to avoid that.I can say I do feel better now that I'm working out! Thank you :)

Keep in mind that not everyone ends up with loose skin and for many who do, it is relatively minor and unnoticeable most of the time. Like you might see it when doing naked pushups but not 97% of the time.

It's pretty much dependent on age, how big you were, how long you were big, and genetics. I tend to think that yo-yoing weight-wise plays into it too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I personally don't do ab work in a deficit. I save it for when I'm eating and can actually gain the muscles.
  • kaybabii08
    arditarose wrote: »
    I personally don't do ab work in a deficit. I save it for when I'm eating and can actually gain the muscles.

Can you please elaborate...I'm new to fitness and have no idea what that means. The only thing I understand is weight loss is calories in vs calories out
  • kaybabii08
    What are these ab workouts??

They're videos I workout with. I don't know the names of the exercises but think of doing floor ab work standing up. I work up a pretty good sweat and always do it after my cardio and strength training.
  • arditarose

Can you please elaborate...I'm new to fitness and have no idea what that means. The only thing I understand is weight loss is calories in vs calories out

You don't gain significant muscle mass when eating in a calorie deficit (this is another reason we're all telling you not to worry). Often people trying to gain muscle will eat in a calorie surplus.

Thank you for responding. I'm mad sick and started typing a response and it didn't make sense.

OP nothing wrong with trying to gain strength but there are more beneficial ways than doing a bunch of crunches. Full body workouts are great for this and help maintain muscle mass as you lose.
  • kaybabii08

You don't gain significant muscle mass when eating in a calorie deficit (this is another reason we're all telling you not to worry). Often people trying to gain muscle will eat in a calorie surplus.

Thank you for responding. I'm mad sick and started typing a response and it didn't make sense.

OP nothing wrong with trying to gain strength but there are more beneficial ways than doing a bunch of crunches. Full body workouts are great for this and help maintain muscle mass as you lose.

I dont just do crunches its a lot of different ab. And core exercises in 1 video but I also do strength training and cardio too...my ab workout is normally the last thing I do. Like I'll do 15 minute cardio arms and abs/core Monday then Tuesday it'll be 15 minute cardio legs and abs/core.
  • arditarose

I dont just do crunches its a lot of different ab. And core exercises in 1 video but I also do strength training and cardio too...my ab workout is normally the last thing I do. Like I'll do 15 minute cardio arms and abs/core Monday then Tuesday it'll be 15 minute cardio legs and abs/core.

I have no idea what cardio arms and legs means but if it's working for you go at it.
  • kaybabii08

I have no idea what cardio arms and legs means but if it's working for you go at it.

There were supposed to be commas there sorry lol I meant cardio, then I'll get my weights and workout my arms and back and the next day cardio and workout my legs and glutes
  • arditarose

There were supposed to be commas there sorry lol I meant cardio, then I'll get my weights and workout my arms and back and the next day cardio and workout my legs and glutes

oh lol. I was getting pictures in my head that were not too far off from Richard Simmons routines.
  • kaybabii08

oh lol. I was getting pictures in my head that were not too far off from Richard Simmons routines.

• ChubRub93
    ChubRub93 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but in my experience, ab exercises had the opposite effect vs what you're worried about. For me at least they've always toned my tum, even with a layer of chub on top!
  • kaybabii08
    edited September 2016
    ChubRub93 wrote: »
    I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but in my experience, ab exercises had the opposite effect vs what you're worried about. For me at least they've always toned my tum, even with a layer of chub on top!

What do you mean by toned? Like made it smaller or less jiggly?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    doing ab workouts while you're still fat will just make your stomach stick out further because you're making your ab muscles bigger behind fat.

i don't think i've ever seen that. abs don't bulk up and bulge like biceps or quads, no matter how strong they get. i do sometimes feel like i'm getting a little bit thick through the waist when you face me head on, but that's mostly on me for being so awful lazy about side-to-side stretching etc.

for other people i actually feel like with women, their midsection is almost always the first thing you notice when they post early progress pictures. doesn't always show right away in other areas, but i always notice their waists beginning to shrink and develop that curve.
  • jeanninemolly
    jeanninemolly Posts: 5 Member
    Any muscle you gain helps to burn fat.
  • hydeaway62
    hydeaway62 Posts: 21 Member
    Having strong abs will prevent/reduce back problems.
  • arditarose

There is no such thing as an exercise to "tone the tum". You can lose fat from you stomach, or not. Losing fat is done by eating at a deficit. You cannot spot reduce with exercise.
  • ChubRub93
    ChubRub93 Posts: 12 Member

There is no such thing as an exercise to "tone the tum". You can lose fat from you stomach, or not. Losing fat is done by eating at a deficit. You cannot spot reduce with exercise.

I didn't say anything about spot reducing? Just that for me, doing ab exercises made my stomach feel more toned vs not doing them at all, or what op is worried about, making the stomach appear larger. I didn't mention losing weight at all either, I literally said that under a layer of fat I felt that my abs were toned.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Ab exercises strengthen your core which is good for a million health reasons, like helping prevent back injuries and making just about everything easier to do. They'll be there waiting to put In an appearance when you get to about 20% body fat.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    They'll be there waiting to put In an appearance when you get to about 20% body fat.

honestly, i don't think i'm at 20%, but the definition is there anyway. six-packs don't interest me much, but i definitely have that oblique-definition thing, even with my nice chubby layer of girl-fat still there on top. i like this look a whole lot, tell the truth.

i was just out with a friend who hasn't seen me since i first got into lifting, so i got a witness now. she was teasing a bit while i was bragging away about how much i can deadlift and bench, but she said 'so now you have abs?' and i pulled up my shirt to show her. she sucked air :D

i got abs, me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    If you're overweight and doing isolation abs exercises I would say that time is better spent, as a beginner, on the big compound moves or even cardio to burn calories

But a strong core is the basis of everything