Is there any point in doing ab exercises with a big belly?

2»

Replies

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    If you're overweight and doing isolation abs exercises I would say that time is better spent, as a beginner, on the big compound moves

Came here to say this. Heavy squats and deads will strengthen your core - and your legs and your butt and your back.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,871 Member
    Don't forget your lower back! Many people have such pore posture that their back appears hollow and their stomach sticks out simply due to not doing anything for those muscles. Think about it this way: there are muscles on two sides of each joint, at the front and back. If you train muscles at the front, like your belly, those muscles get stronger and contract more. The muscles at the back are weaker and get stretched out more. This might actually lead to a poorer posture in the case of the spine. If you also train the lower back, both sides stay in balance. Mind you, I gained about 3cm (1inch) in body size just by standing more erect due to a proper core training. The lordose back I always thought I had doesn't exist anymore.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Your core protects your back, which can effect your entire body. Don't skip core work.
  • kaybabii08
    kaybabii08 Posts: 31 Member
    If you're overweight and doing isolation abs exercises I would say that time is better spent, as a beginner, on the big compound moves or even cardio to burn calories

But a strong core is the basis of everything

I'm not doing isolation ab exercises, if you would scroll up and read the comments I do lift weights and squat and do cardio as well I do core exercises and I do an exercises.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    stick with the compound, multi-muscle group moves. you'll burn more calories in less time and eventually force your body to start using some of that belly fat as an energy source. while a strong core is important, at this point, losing fat is probably a higher priority. prioritize + patience + persistence = results
  • Playball549
    Playball549 Posts: 35 Member
    This is how it was explained to me. Belly fat is like the water in a swimming pool. Every time you exercise or lift weights, it’s like dumping a load of sand into the swimming pool. Even though the sand (muscle) can’t be seen because it is hiding under the water (fat), it will eventually push out and take over the water. Every time you choose to skip the gym, drink a Pepsi or eat Doritos, you add water to the pool. Keep pushing foreword my friends and because there is a healthy, fit and awesome body working its way out of the water. PLAY BALL!!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    kaybabii08 wrote: »
    If you're overweight and doing isolation abs exercises I would say that time is better spent, as a beginner, on the big compound moves or even cardio to burn calories

I'm not doing isolation ab exercises, if you would scroll up and read the comments I do lift weights and squat and do cardio as well I do core exercises and I do an exercises.

Just wanted to say, add some planks in there! It's a good, efficient ab exercise you can do in varying degrees of intensity, so you can keep making them harder as you get stronger.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    kaybabii08 wrote: »

I read it

I said the time spent in core and ab exercises you've put in your programme would be better spent in your compound lift progression...squats, deadlifts, OHP...they all work the core very effectively at this stage in your training
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Scream05 wrote: »
    This is how it was explained to me. Belly fat is like the water in a swimming pool. Every time you exercise or lift weights, it’s like dumping a load of sand into the swimming pool. Even though the sand (muscle) can’t be seen because it is hiding under the water (fat), it will eventually push out and take over the water. Every time you choose to skip the gym, drink a Pepsi or eat Doritos, you add water to the pool. Keep pushing foreword my friends and because there is a healthy, fit and awesome body working its way out of the water. PLAY BALL!!

Yeah they kinda forgot about the "stop pouring too much water into the swimming pool" bit didn't they?
  • kaybabii08
    kaybabii08 Posts: 31 Member
    Scream05 wrote: »

Good thing I'm eating healthy and drinking,lots of water!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I do ab exercise and compound lifts because I have had issues with my sciatica and other areas. So to me, a strong core is very important to hold off injury.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Your muscles may retain more water when you start training. So, if you are at maintenance with diet, you may feel and look like you are getting "bulkier". If you eat at a deficit, the effect will lessen and you will eventually see more of a slimming effect.

Strong Curves may be a good fit If you want to start a strength training program that combines circuits with weights. This program has a good mix of core as well as full-body strength training. It seems like you may be doing circuit training similar to what you find in Fitness Blender or Pop Sugar and the Strong Curves training program could be a good transition as it combines supersets and has a good variety core work.