Keto/low carb

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    anchantaee wrote: »
    Can you give me info on this Keto diet please because I have been hearing about it. How do i get started?

Check out the Low Carb Group. Lots of info and resources there.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto? Because it works for me I find it much easier to do. I'm the type of person that 1 slice of bread leads to 12.

As long as you understand that this is simply your (indirect) method of reducing calories, and carbohydrates aren't solely to blame for weight gain, then do whatever you want.

It's prudent to recognize, though, that carbohydrates aren't really optional for the body. We need them just like we need fat and protein for normal bodily function. By harshly restricting them you are doing yourself a disservice. I'd recommend a more well-rounded diet than a carbohydrate restricted one. If you have a hard time doing so while staying in a calorie deficit, then it's your discipline (rather than carbohydrates) that's the problem.

The bolded is not actually true. There is no minimum carbohydrate level. We don't eed the like protein and fat at all. And many people find that their health improves when eating fewer carbs, or even as few as possible.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to not stress over calories for the first 2 weeks because you may not get the reduced hunger right away and you may find sticking to a deficit those first days more difficult. Don't make the switch more difficult than it needs to be.
    Wait to start counting calories after the first week or so. Most find they don't need to count calories, NOT because you can eat more than anyone else but because you naturally just eat less without hunger.
    Everyone always thinks people mean calories don't matter when this comes up. That's just not the case. It's just that many people don't have to make any effort to eat at a deficit. So, in that way, counting is null...
    Eat when hungry, until satisfied and then stop and don't eat again until you're hungry. It's pretty simple.
  • TheBuffster40
    TheBuffster40 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find my appetite hugely reduced on a low carb diet. 20-30g carbs. After some weeks I can eat this way without needing to log as I know how to stay under cal and carbs just by sticking to my meals. I find that takes much of the effort out of losing weight. I have to plan meals but that's really all I have to do for steady if not dramatic weightloss. No measuring no logging. Love it.

I am concerned about how sustainable it will be for maintaining but I took a break in August and re-introduced some carbs. I got 2 pounds back of water as I left ketosis and thrn held steady for a month. I hope that's an indication that I will eventually be able to eventually stabilise at of near my goal weight.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You do have to count calories but it can be easier with low carb IMO
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Just wondering as I have heard conflicting opinions. If your doing low carb or keto how important is total calories consumed when you start? Should I be counting both?

low carb and keto are just methods used to get you into a calorie deficit...weight loss/management comes down to calories period. That doesn't mean you have to count them...but calories are what ultimately matter.