I've heard maintaining is harder

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me it's harder to maintain because I'm hungrier so being able to 'eat more' really doesn't mean anything... I'm hungrier so I can afford less treats than when I was losing!

But the main issue is when you look in the mirror and like what you see so you tell yourself that one little extra won't hurt... and when it starts to happen more often.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I find maintaining much easier. I'm lucky that my natural appetite lines up almost perfectly with my maintenance calories, therefore maintaining my weight doesn't require much effort.
    Eating at a deficit requires much more vigilance and willpower for me.

Plus I'm exercising ALOT more now than i was when i first started losing weight.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yes yes! I'm in for the triple-mention. Here's where I advocate the calorie-banking method again: you manually carry over your excess calories eaten from one day into the next, which handles this problem nicely.

For example: let's say you've used 2500 calories on Tuesday, but eaten 3000. Instead of posting a freaked-out message on MFP and questioning all your life choices to date, you calmly add that extra 500 calories into Wednesday's food list. On Wednesday, you can a) eat 2000 calories and solve the problem in one day, or b) drag it out a bit longer. It's up to you! No biggie. You know what to do. Hooray! So empowered.

Cracking way of doing it - thank you! I've been successfully maintaining since the beginning of the summer, but I've had to be careful to accommodate my higher calorie intakes on the weekends, and variable workouts/exercise calorie burn day-to-day to make sure that they even out over the course of a week. I've been inadvertently 'calorie-banking', but your method of manually carrying over the excess calories from one day to the next will, I think, make this much easier to keep track of!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance for going on 5 years, after losing about 60 pounds from 2011 through early 2012. Losing was easy and maintaining has been easy. BUT... I took a very slow rate of weight loss. It took me around a year to lose the weight. I didn't diet, I made significant changes to my eating habits and activity level -- and made sure they were ones I could live with permanently and easily.

I'm 45 now and probably in the best shape of my life.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Whenever you read/hear anything coming from Biggest Loser - change the channel, flip the page. Disregard.

There was a legit study that came from following some of the contestants 6 years after their weight loss. All but one gained most if not all of their weight back. They were burning fewer cal at rest than before they started the show even though they gained their weight back.

At any rate I agree about the show itself.

I don't watch the show but one thing the odd time I have caught part of it said to me was that most of them are "crash dieting". In other words they are losing as much as they can as quickly as they can and that makes maintenance almost impossible. What can you learn in that time and from some studies it sounds like your metabolism can be compromised by dropping to drastically low calorie counts. I agree I would disregard this show as it does not encourage healthy eating.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Its way easier i love it. I dont log my food 99% of the time. I know what i can and cannot eat this app has taught me so much about my eating habits. I know what to do and i havent logged a full day in awhile you can check my diary to see how many days i actually log. And im actually .5lbs under my goal weight so im keeping it off no problem
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    For me it is. When losing weight I had a mission. When I have something to aim for I'm laser focussed and obsessive. Now the goal is "don"t duck u
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Whenever you read/hear anything coming from Biggest Loser - change the channel, flip the page. Disregard.

There was a legit study that came from following some of the contestants 6 years after their weight loss. All but one gained most if not all of their weight back. They were burning fewer cal at rest than before they started the show even though they gained their weight back.

At any rate I agree about the show itself.

I don't watch the show but one thing the odd time I have caught part of it said to me was that most of them are "crash dieting". In other words they are losing as much as they can as quickly as they can and that makes maintenance almost impossible. What can you learn in that time and from some studies it sounds like your metabolism can be compromised by dropping to drastically low calorie counts. I agree I would disregard this show as it does not encourage healthy eating.

Plus they are under constant supervision and told when to eat, what to eat and when to exercise. When they're dumped back into the real world, that safety net is no longer there.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I really think I will be logging for a good while. I have been in my 5 pound weigbt range for 4 months. I have tried trials of not logging... I miss not logging in. Plus I love to read posts while I am here. Logging foods is so easy for me. I eat out for lunch at least 1--2x week. I eat correctly during my lunch outs. I eat my snacks everyday.

For the next 3 months I want to pretty much lose a few pounds to compensate for a little weight gain during the holidays.

Yup....I will be logging in for a good while. This is the first time I have done maintenance with MFP.
  • redladybug69
    redladybug69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with maintaining now. My problem is I stopped tracking. Eyeballing calories instead of measuring. Of course, it's because I'm invincible...Not!

Happy Tracking!