How much have you spent on weightloss?

Options
Let me try to think..
  1. Digital scales: £15
  2. Withings scales: £100
  3. MFP Pro: £40
  4. New wardbrobe: the best ~£800 I've spent
  5. errr there is no No.5

Genuinely No.1 is the only must-have there (I could fashion clothes from tress and moss).

I think my point, if I have one, is that this doesn't have to cost anything.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've spent anything on weight loss. I've spent quite a bit on fitness - Total Gym, various DVDs, kayak, new basketball, shoes, workout clothes, etc. But I can't think of anything I've bought specifically for weight loss.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,031 Member
    Options
    I haven't spent much at all. In fact, it is saving me money.

One of my top reasons for wanting to lose weight was a cycling jacket. I had purchased a nice one, wore it a few times and then it "shrunk" :wink: I figured I'd just buy one in a larger size but the price had about doubled and I figured it would be cheaper to lose the weight and wearing the one I had.

And yes, I can wear it now. I can also wear several others which I had stored away in my "too small" clothing bins.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Gym membership for me is a necessity.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

One of my top reasons for wanting to lose weight was a cycling jacket. I had purchased a nice one, wore it a few times and then it "shrunk" :wink: I figured I'd just buy one in a larger size but the price had about doubled and I figured it would be cheaper to lose the weight and wearing the one I had.

And yes, I can wear it now. I can also wear several others which I had stored away in my "too small" clothing bins.

oh hang on, never thought of the other side of the ledger - how much have you saved!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I had a bathroom scale, I had a food scale (bought for baking). I suppose I've purchased clothes, but I would have bought clothes anyway (and I had a bunch of stuff in smaller sizes already).

Have spent a good bit on fitness (gym clothes, gym membership, entry fees to races, running shoes, new bike, various other things--should I include a sports massage?). ;-) Didn't need any of this to lose weight, but it goes along with me finding it a fun hobby and worth spending money on, for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yeah, I'd have to say weight loss has saved me a bit too. One of the things that finally got me to lose the weight was all the clothes in my closet that no longer fit. So, instead of going out and buying bigger clothes I just got myself back into my old favorites.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Food scale: $20
    Fitbit: $90
    Workout clothes: $120 (ish)
    Other new clothes $300 (ish)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    nada....
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I definitely spend more on healthy foods than I would on a "normal" food shop. I could get 3 packs of biscuits for the same price as a pack of 6 apples for example and I've bought some exercise equipment, but I don't begrudge a penny of it. Money well spent in my opinion.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Oh yeah my gm membership - $40/ month for 4ish years.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Weight loss? Just new clothes really. Bras being especially expensive, luckily my boobs aren't shrinking at an alarming rate so they're just big regardless and can get away with wearing slightly too large bras for a time, heh. Already had bathroom scales and kitchen scales. And due to the fact I wear vintage and vintage reproduction, my clothes largely retain their value so can just sell on, saving me money in replacing them. I try not to buy too much though. That said, I appear to have just shifted that expenditure to shoes and accessories, my vintage jewellery collection is somewhat out of control........

Fitness though, I have probably invested in the most. Yoga mats (2, the first one i didn't love, I don't love the second one either), jump mat for my wooden floors, Powerblocks, running shoes, workout shoes x 2, gym kit, sports bras, Vivofit, upgraded to Vivoactive but that was a gift, foam roller, pressure ball doodads and am going to be getting a bench soon and perhaps Body Beast (don't judge me! I work out at home, I like the video format and fancy trying something new). Oh MP3 player for running, just cheap little guy, headphones for my abnormally small ears.........I think that's it. If I had room I'd probably seriously consider things like treadmills and squat racks too.

Savings? Not sure that I've made any really.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Most of my spending has been on fitness. Running shoes, Fitbit, gym membership, work out clothes.

I would have needed clothing, so I'm not really going to count my new wardrobe. In fact, my favorite new wardrobe piece is a hand-me-down... from my daughter! My new heavy duty winter coat is something she outgrew in her early teens when she shot up in height. The benefits of being short are paying off, and I get to giggle at wearing a children's large after needing 2X's just a couple of year's ago.
  • akf2000
    Options
    Weight loss? Just new clothes really. Bras being especially expensive, luckily my boobs aren't shrinking at an alarming rate so they're just big regardless and can get away with wearing slightly too large bras for a time, heh. Already had bathroom scales and kitchen scales. And due to the fact I wear vintage and vintage reproduction, my clothes largely retain their value so can just sell on, saving me money in replacing them. I try not to buy too much though. That said, I appear to have just shifted that expenditure to shoes and accessories, my vintage jewellery collection is somewhat out of control........

Fitness though, I have probably invested in the most. Yoga mats (2, the first one i didn't love, I don't love the second one either), jump mat for my wooden floors, Powerblocks, running shoes, workout shoes x 2, gym kit, sports bras, Vivofit, upgraded to Vivoactive but that was a gift, foam roller, pressure ball doodads and am going to be getting a bench soon and perhaps Body Beast (don't judge me! I work out at home, I like the video format and fancy trying something new). Oh MP3 player for running, just cheap little guy, headphones for my abnormally small ears.........I think that's it. If I had room I'd probably seriously consider things like treadmills and squat racks too.

Did you find your feet 'shrank' or was it mainly ankles/ calves? I swear my shoes feel looser.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »

Did you find your feet 'shrank' or was it mainly ankles/ calves? I swear my shoes feel looser.

My feet have shrunk a bit but not a lot. I have slightly wider feet anyway so sizing up was as much about that as fat. I think it's mostly come from my ankles. I'm a 5.5 (UK, good luck finding half sizes here!) so it may be I can size down to a 5 more often than I need to size up to a 6 but my old shoes still work happily.
  • akf2000
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I've saved a bundle

1. My clothes were worn out anyway and I replaced them at Goodwill, which I couldn't have done at size 2x/22
    2. While I bought a kitchen scale, it was for baking bread. It turned out to be generally useful once I had it.
    3. Instead of playing video games as a hobby, I'm taking long walks with my dogs. My dogs and I are healthier and my video game budget is much smaller.
    4. I'm eating less, this saves money as well.
    5. Health insurance: not there yet, because the 30% premium surcharge is for being overweight, but when I lose just 1.5 more pounds I should be able to save $90/month on my health insurance.

WOW @ No.5! that's enough over the course of a year to buy a new mattress.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm saving 30000 calories a month on my grocery bill.