How much have you spent on weightloss?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    When I got back on MFP in April 2015 I bought a diet book and some workout clothes for motivation.

I put my food scale and Fitbit on my Christmas wish list different years so didn't pay anything for them.

I'm paying $20/month for my gym membership and pay the occasional $10 when I go to the ice skating rink.

$75.00 for new sneakers last year.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    in total...hmmm not a lot.

24.99 food scale.

Fitness....yah we won't go there...probably close to 4-5k in 3 years (1k this week alone)

Post weight loss 1k on clothing.

HOw much am I saving nada...probably spending more on workout gear/weights etc now and more on food as I eat less prepackaged and more lean cuts of meat etc.
  • froggysfriend
    froggysfriend Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am saving on groceries and fast food, though I do have a gym membership.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Been through 3 activity trackers (fitbits were junk, garmin works well), digital scale (20), body weight scale (60.00), running shoes (go through 4 pairs a year so around 600.00/yr) running gear and workout gear, anyone's guess.

edited my grocery bill is more.. buy healthy foods, more fresh produce, leaner cuts of meats etc are more.. I eat out rarely now, but still not a wash as far as food goes for us.

I forgot, I bought a SOLE treadmill and elliptical and a whole host of weightlifting equipment over the past two years.. I do not even want to add up all the receipts for this.. :(
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Other than a Fitbit and a few other trackers, nothing...and the benefits received far outweigh any negatives.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    LynnBBQ72 wrote: »
    My grocery bill went up - carbs are cheap and meat is not! But if I consider the extra maybe $100 per month at the grocery store, minus the $200 a month I'm saving by not going out to eat as often, plus the $50 I've spent on workout clothes, plus the $25 for more barbell weights, plus the $25 at Goodwill for new pants... that equals out at zero dollars. But then I remember a close relative who spent around $25,000 on weight loss surgery.... so I consider myself ahead by $25,000! Yay me!

TWENTY. FIVE. THOUSAND. what on earth did they have done?!

That's inexpensive as surgery goes. :#
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've made a big lifestyle change. I was eating badly before MFP and I was a complete couch potato.

I've spent I think
    1. £30 for the two scales
    2. £90 on a Fitbit
    3. £150 on gym membership and a book
    4. £100 or so on gym clothes/trainers (yes, I had none!)
    5. £150 on new clothes (finally!).
    6. £x for MFP pro - several months
    7. ££ on quality tasty food because I want my calories to be really worth it.
    8. £30 so far on whay protein pouder and/or bars

You don't need to spend any, except for the scales, but I really want to spend my money this way and not on cigarettes (just made 1 year smoke free :) ) and high calorie low nutrition food.
  • ReadingCat
    ReadingCat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Costs: Gym Membership: 10 monthly /new running shoes $80/ running bras and capris $150/ new battery for scale $5/Audible for books on tape to listen to while i run/walk $15 monthly

Minuses: Gave up soda, switched to water, suntea $20 monthly/

Food costs are probably a wash: Less fast food, junk food, more fruits, veggies
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,031 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I haven't spent much at all. In fact, it is saving me money.

One of my top reasons for wanting to lose weight was a cycling jacket. I had purchased a nice one, wore it a few times and then it "shrunk" :wink: I figured I'd just buy one in a larger size but the price had about doubled and I figured it would be cheaper to lose the weight and wearing the one I had.

And yes, I can wear it now. I can also wear several others which I had stored away in my "too small" clothing bins.

Regarding the spending side of things ...

I already had exercise equipment ... bicycles, snowshoes, canoe, swim suits, weights, running shoes, etc. etc. ... I've been active most of my life.

I've had gym memberships for periods of time for the past 30 years. Since joining MFP, I actually let my gym membership lapse and focused more on outdoor activity and our home gym. Just recently, my husband and I have started dropping in at another gym occasionally. Working out at home/outdoors + dropping into a gym occasionally has saved us close to $2000/year, which is what our most recent gym membership was costing us.

I already had scales to weigh me and my food. But we did buy a new scale to weigh my food ... a pretty one that matches the kitchen décor. I've been weighing myself every day for 30 years and my food on and off for about 7 years.

Clothes ... I was slender most of my life. My weight gain was recent short-term thing so I still had a whole wardrobe of slender clothes. I've purchased some additional bits and pieces but I would have done that anyway no matter what size I was.

Food ... it's possible our grocery bill might be slightly higher, but not significantly.

• LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    akf2000 wrote: »
    LynnBBQ72 wrote: »
    My grocery bill went up - carbs are cheap and meat is not! But if I consider the extra maybe $100 per month at the grocery store, minus the $200 a month I'm saving by not going out to eat as often, plus the $50 I've spent on workout clothes, plus the $25 for more barbell weights, plus the $25 at Goodwill for new pants... that equals out at zero dollars. But then I remember a close relative who spent around $25,000 on weight loss surgery.... so I consider myself ahead by $25,000! Yay me!

TWENTY. FIVE. THOUSAND. what on earth did they have done?!

Probably gastric bypass surgery.

Yes - if your insurance company doesn't cover it, that's what it costs for the surgery and the hospital stay for 2 nights.
  • Dejahvu04
    Dejahvu04 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mainly food is more expensive. I get better quality meats and when I get fast food it's not the dollar menu, it's like an 8$ salad or bowl :/
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ugh. Sorry I had to delete it. It was making me sick to think about it.
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had food scale and weight scale.
    I eat less meat, no sugar, no chocolate and less crisps, rice, potatoes but more salad, tomatoes and fruits. It doesn't really make a big difference in term of budget.
    I avoid eating out nowdays which means big savings.
    I have clothes in all sizes. I don't need to spend while my weight is still going down.
    I walk for exercise.
    I might consider going to the gym but I don't like the one closest to my home and still a bit far.
    One is about to open closer to my home. I will visit it and will go if I like it.
    So no spending so far down 11kg.
    I am much more active in everyday life and considers chores as a blessing.
    I feel much more positive mentally.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i haven't spent anything on weight loss ,but i have spent money on fitness. 2 pairs of running shoes 60e, my tom tom watch 90e and a couple of leggings about 10e. all within the last 3 months than i started exercising. the 8 months prior to that which was just dieting, i spent nothing.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    For me, fitness and weight loss are all rolled into one:
    Aria scale
    Fitbit Charge HR
    Top brand workout sneaker
    Workout clothes
    Food scale
    New clothes!!! LOTS!!! and shoes (just because!)
    Gym membership + fee for special classes
    Personal trainer
    Protein powder
    Wireless headset for gym

Down to a size 16 (from a 22/24).......Priceless!!!!!
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I didn't really spend anything I don't think. Except a new wardrobe once the weight was gone and I'm still building that one up now, takes ages!
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    On weight loss - a £5 food scale and £10 bathroom scale. The clothing one is interesting, because I stripped my wardrobe and have a fairly contained capsule wardrobe now. I sold a few clothes, donated a tonne, and bought very carefully from ebay, charity shops and sale items in stores. The only things I bought full price (and often not even then) were bras and underwear. In fact, I don't think I've spent more than £30 on any item of clothing or accessory in the past year - and that includes pure cashmere sweaters, designer coats, shoes, boots and a couple of amazing handbags (ebay is amazing!!). II have a list of my capsule wardrobe, and I know exactly where the gaps are for the upcoming seasons (need a new thick winter coat, a new heavy woollen jumper, perhaps some new leather gloves, and that's it!). I needed a new wardrobe, because so many things were too big, or bought purely to cover up the fact that I was fat! I don't have to wear things like that any more, and it's much more enjoyable to choose clothes I love, instead of 'things that will fit'! I can't put a price on that, but it's certainly worth the net £600 I spent last year!

On the food side, I am pretty sure I'm saving money. I make my own lunches every day to take to work, I write a weekly menu plan, and shop to it, and eat out rarely. I've not seen any increase to my weekly shopping bill, even when I'm buying free range/organic food. The savings I'm making balance out any increased cost of meat/dairy.

The fitness side is the one where I see the biggest expense - given I didn't do anything before I started losing weight! Gym membership (£30 per month), pilates classes (another £20 per month), fitness clothing and trainers (although I received a couple of things, like the new trainers, as part of Christmas and birthday presents). In all honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to spend this amount, now that I know what a difference losing weight has made to my health and happiness. If you presented me with the figure at the start of all this, I would have balked, but it's completely worth it - it's my disposable income, and it's definitely going to a good cause - my future health!
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    . In fact, I don't think I've spent more than £30 on any item of clothing or accessory in the past year - and that includes pure cashmere sweater

hah, a cashmere jumper was the first thing I bought! [Uniqlo] I was like GODDAMNIT I AM HAVING A GODDAMN CASHMERE SWEATER and bought it filled with righteous indignation.

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Over 35 years? 10's of thousands of $

Weight watchers countless times
    Doctor supervised phen-fen
    Nutrisystem
    Jenny Craig
    Medifast
    Hypnosis
    Gym memberships
    Bicycle
    Treadmill Weights & weight bench (long donated)
    Lots of shoes & active wear
    Private Pilates classes
    Personal trainers
    Fitbits (lost 2 this year!)
    Aria scale
    And the list goes on...

Very glad to have MFP this time around - 87 lbs and counting!! Still paying $$ for personal training and the gym but that's worth it until I can trust myself to work out on my own.