Happiness Please help explain it..

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    There's a book out there titled: Happiness is a Serious Problem

I read it a few years ago. It's a very short and worthwhile read on the subject.

I reckon it's all about purpose, relationships, gratitude.... and tacos.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Well that's kind of what I mean. Im successful, I have an average home, kids, family, stuff has never been really important to me. I have bought and lost houses, cars, toys, they all don't mean very much in the end. My kids mean everything to me.

Im not looking for out side influences to make me happy. Im just trying to figure it out, it is a monumental task. I cant remember when last I got really excited over anything, or looked forward to any event. I cant remember " In the moments of happiness, I am not thinking "wow, I'm happy!" I just am." when last this has happened to me that I just realize and just enjoy the moment.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    going within,being present & knowing yourself truly knowing yourself and not just the belief systems ,socially programmed projection of yourself

belief , love , laughter . to me happiness is balance, truth and love .

I also do not think many people ever really have true freedom and happiness. only just counterfeit shards of it. constantly looking outside of themselves for validation & "happiness" . "If I have a nice home , a car , a good job , my health,all the latest's tech,lots of awesome on my post on mfp ,people who love me then i will be happy then i will be successful" "If i get married & have kids then ill be truly happy" "if i have money ....and so on ect.

getting to see the stars at night , hearing either of my parents laugh, connecting with someone who is on the same wavelength as me ahh does that ever make my energy shine brighter

good dark chocolate also does too though ;)
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    King Solomon went on a quest for happiness.

He tried lots of women, drinking, being entertained, building buildings and gardens, attaining knowledge, etc. He said all of it was in vain - chasing after wind.

He did finally find the answer: obey God, enjoy the work you have been given to you and enjoy the wife you have, and the food and drink you have.

Note, there is no "getting", "chasing," pursuing." Just enjoying and obeying God.

Obey God and you start with a clean conscience, the basis of happiness. You can't be happy feeling guilty. Then, it doesn’t say find a job you love. It says love the work you have. It doesn’t say find a better partner - it says enjoy the one you have.

I listened to this wisdom and I found a way to enjoy doing dishes at home - I say thanks, because dirty dishes means we ate and that is a blessing. I enjoy how fast I can load the dishwasher and see a clean sink. I have found a way to enjoy the relentless "dailyness" of life. What once made me close to tears now brings a smile to my face because I have learned to be thankful.

Wishing you peace.

Reading homework: The Book of Ecclessiastes (The Bible)

Thank you for your words. I appreciate the time you took to write this. I am a pastors son, I have read the entire book cover to cover, a few times over growing up, however words on a page, dont mean much, when *kitten* hits the fan.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Anabela90 wrote: »
    Rhesus peanut butter cups

My ABSOLUTE Fav :heart:
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »

He tried lots of women, drinking, being entertained, building buildings and gardens, attaining knowledge, etc. He said all of it was in vain - chasing after wind.

He did finally find the answer: obey God, enjoy the work you have been given to you and enjoy the wife you have, and the food and drink you have.

Note, there is no "getting", "chasing," pursuing." Just enjoying and obeying God.

Obey God and you start with a clean conscience, the basis of happiness. You can't be happy feeling guilty. Then, it doesn’t say find a job you love. It says love the work you have. It doesn’t say find a better partner - it says enjoy the one you have.

I listened to this wisdom and I found a way to enjoy doing dishes at home - I say thanks, because dirty dishes means we ate and that is a blessing. I enjoy how fast I can load the dishwasher and see a clean sink. I have found a way to enjoy the relentless "dailyness" of life. What once made me close to tears now brings a smile to my face because I have learned to be thankful.

Wishing you peace.

Reading homework: The Book of Ecclessiastes (The Bible)

Thank you for your words. I appreciate the time you took to write this. I am a pastors son, I have read the entire book cover to cover, a few times over growing up, however words on a page, dont mean much, when *kitten* hits the fan.

Words mean something when we internalize them and they become our thoughts, attitudes and behaviors.

Maybe you can start - if you really want to be happy - start woth writing down every day, 5 blessings you have in your life. The blue sky, food to eat, a hot shower, a laugh from tv. Every day, a new set of five. After a few months, guarantee you'll be happier, because words on a page become actions. Those actions lead you to see what your mind is now blocking.

90% of our lives are really good. Train yourself to focus on that instead of the 10%.

Reading homework: You Can be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles Your Therapist Never Told You, by Richard Carlson, Ph.D
  • Motorsheen
    Options

He tried lots of women, drinking, ]

[ He said all of it was in vain

He must have been doing it wrong....
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Sometimes happiness is a choice.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Nice joke. Pleasure is fleeting. And the types of pleasure you get can leave you feeling bad about ones self.

There is pleasure in joy but sometimes there is no joy in pleasure.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    A lot of people fake it. A lot of people also have hormonal issues that cause depression and probably don't make it actually possible to be happy (hence why people that say that happiness is a choice drive me absolutely nuts). I'm both of those, honestly.

I remember the last time I was happy... 20 minutes ago after my college's choir concert when we went out with friends to celebrate... then life kicked me in the *kitten* and I just haven't really found it again since.

(I've actually been listening to the new Meatloaf song over and over (Going all the Way), and it's exactly about that... how people always seem braver than they are and you wouldn't know by looking at them how hard it really is for them).

But yeah, I'm sure that some people are really happy. I don't really know their secret but I also wonder if it just has to do with character - I'm a pretty realist/sarcastic but I have social anxiety and I overthink things a lot (which can be really bad. I wish I could turn off my brain). It's funny though because some little things can make me happy (like beautiful weather, some great music, and a nice walk), then two seconds later I'm down crying because of stupid life stuff.

So yeah.. you're not alone.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

And the types of pleasure you get can leave you feeling bad about ones self.

I reckon that's a risk that I'm willing to take.

The pleasure I seek doesn't leave me feeling bad about myself, not one lil' bit.

no drink / no drugs / no vice -- no worries

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Happiness is a warm gun mama.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Contentment