72 year old food addict starts new program

Options
mskatz1
mskatz1 Posts: 25 Member
I just started a new program, cutting out sugar and flour almost completely, switching from diet soda to water. Starting at 249 lbs.--5'8.5". Day four. journaling my food and setting up daily plans for eating. Listened to Susan Pierce-Thompsons free videos on "Bright Line Eating." Found them inspiring

Replies

• rsnodgrass1128
    rsnodgrass1128 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Spears1354
    Spears1354 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You can do this!
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!
  • Laurie6578
    Laurie6578 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You got this!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi I wish you all the best it is harder when you get older I'm 69 but you need to stick with it and you will succeed and be feeling much better as the weight drops off.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on red peppers?? Wow! I must try this! I have been having a very small apple with peanut butter but still feel its too much sugar.
    Well done on resisting the urge to weigh yourself too often. Too many things can effect your weight day to day and its discouraging to see the pointer move in slightly in the wrong direction.
    If you're avoiding flour does that mean you are avoiding pasta? I have been using a potato peeler to take strips from a courgette and having that instead of pasta. Works very well for me :)
  • mskatz1
    Options
    Thanks Dancing Daisy. Yes, no pasta at this point. Need to experiment with some different types of fish. I am not a great fish eater, but I should try to expand my limited repertoire beyond my favorites--boiled shrimp, broiled scallops, crab, lobster, salmon. How does one make tuna fish without mayonnaise? Your suggestions!
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    mskatz1 wrote: »
    How does one make tuna fish without mayonnaise? Your suggestions!
    I eat tuna just as is without adding anything. Some lemon juice is nice though, sometimes add dried tarragon. You just get used to it without the added mayo. In past I have used plain yogurt instead of mayo.

I also lose plot around overly processed foods such as sugar, flour, soda etc. I find my hunger and cravings drop away if I stick to lots of veg with some meat, eggs, beans, oils, little fruit and plain yogurt. My diary is open.

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Mashed avocado is a good mayo substitute for tuna salad as well.....it tastes delicious but you have to get used to the greenish colour.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are doing well. I use these message boards as inspiration, too. The success stories are great and so are the stories about people struggling to stick to their new goal. You'll like the people here.
  • mskatz1
    Options
    I really appreciate the comments about making tuna; I need to find ways to eat healthy foods that I like. My wife just bought me some instant oatmeal, as I am eager to start having one grain with breakfast; any thoughts on what you put on oatmeal to make it taste better. Stevia? Almond milk? fruit?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Add a bit of chopped apple and chopped celery to tuna with me black pepper.
  • ravensdiet15
    ravensdiet15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used to put raisins in my oatmeal. It was really good. You could also add honey or pnut butter to it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have butter on my oatmeal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,324 Member
    Options
    mskatz1 wrote: »
    still losing weight somewhat fast on my no sugar, no white flour diet--with entries in myfitnesspal.com---in ten days from 248+ to 239.4; suspect it is mostly water loss, but still encouraging. Have not increased exercise much.
    Feeling better. Onwards.

The first couple of weeks do tend to give a fast drop to many of us, part of which is indeed water weight. But, as you say, encouraging!

I'd suggest you'll want to keep an eye on things in the subsequent weeks, and - gasp! - give yourself a few more daily calories if you find you're losing more than about 1% of your body weight weekly after that first big drop.

Why? For one, it's more sustainable over the long haul. But more importantly, it's health-preserving.

Our bodies can only metabolize a certain amount of fat daily: If I recall correctly it's 30-some calories of fat per day per pound of fat we have. If our calorie deficit is higher than that, our bodies are more likely to try to make up the difference by burning other tissue, like muscle.

At our age - I'm 61 next month - it's a difficult and slow process to regain muscle, and I tend to think of strength/muscle as one thing that helps me stay independent and thriving as I age. So, I want to lose the least possible muscle while losing fat.

Exercising (strength-building types) is another strategy for retaining lean body tissue while losing weight, but you can definitely lose weight without much exercising. But if it were me, I'd prefer the "slow and steady" loss method especially much if I were trying to lose with minimal/no exercise.

You are off to a great start, and I have no doubt that you're going to achieve great success with your goals!
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Some sliced banana and a dollop of yogurt.
  • kualantokoso
    kualantokoso Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For oatmeal I use almond milk on the oats sprinkle blueberries and cinnamon on top. Yum if you want to sweeten it I use stevia