Can anyone have the body they want?

Options
So my friend was overweight , lost some weight and is now at a healthy BMI and is really happy with her body. However , her period stopped completely and her mother told her that she should gain weight as she was not made to be thin and she is not naturally slim. Would really love to hear your opinions on this one !

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It depends. She should start with visiting her doctor to ensure there is not a medical issue for her period ending. Also, a healthy BMI is a very wide range and sometimes the lower end of that range is unhealthy and requires unhealthy eating or exercise habits to maintain.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Amenorrhea has many causes ...if it's more than 1 or 2 cycles due should rule out pregnancy and see a doctor
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There arent any problems except for weight loss as she already done the tests
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »

What does her doctor say?
  • usmcmp
    Options

Maybe her goal is unhealthy and she doesn't realize it. Talking to a therapist, especially one who specializes in eating disorders, could be a good idea just for perspective.
  • healthy491
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Her doctor said she shouldnt lose anymore weight as shes underweight. Then , she went to a dietician and the dietician told her she was at a healthy weight
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Short answer is "no". I've seen people in here trying to get a body shape that is just not in their genetic makeup. They want long, lean calf muscles when they are simply not built to have them. They want a "thigh gap" when they are pear shaped, things like that.

More involved answer is still really a "no" depending on what the goal is. If someone wants to be a specific weight that's really too thin for them, for example. Someone with a large bone structure and who is muscular would have a very difficult time maintaining a weight that is on the very low end of the healthy range or a low BMI. My sisters and I are a good example of this because although we are close in height I am the large framed and muscular type but they are both very fine boned and if we were all the same weight they look would look much heavier than I do. I can easily carry 130 pounds and look trim, they look much better in the 115-120 range.

If your friend has lost her period, and she's not pregnant and didn't have issues with it before, it's a pretty good sign that her body fat percentage is too low.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I compete in bodybuilding and I still have my period through the entire prep. I get down to very low body fat levels (that are not sustainable and I have no plans to sustain), but thanks to still eating adequately and avoiding excess cardio my body doesn't feel the need to shut down any functions. Your friend is likely doing something unhealthy or is at an unhealthy weight or both.
  • healthy491
    Options
    Your answers are all very helpful ! My idea was that maybe she wasnt eating enough to maintain her weight ?? She was eating about 1500 calories a day and working out for 45 mins everyday
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    There is a fundamental difference between an idealized body as compared to a healthy body.

An idealized body is one that maybe 2% of the population have been genetically blessed with, and even then, only to the standards of what modern beauty looks like.

And then there are the rest of us - the 98% - the NORMAL people. The ones who - no matter how hard we try, will NEVER achieve a 24 inch waist, the thigh gap, the whatever is in vogue now, because it's NOT GENETICALLY POSSIBLE, and furthermore dangerous to even try.

So even more important to a healthy body is a healthy mind, and what is healthy for you, and the ability to recognize it.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

An idealized body is one that maybe 2% of the population have been genetically blessed with, and even then, only to the standards of what modern beauty looks like.

I don't think everyone defines ideal the same and the OP said the body they want, not ideal. I would never call a thigh gap or 24 inch waist or any of those trendy things ideal and I know I'm not alone.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Depends on what she wants, doesn't it?

I mean, if her goal was to have a healthy, fit body, yes most can do that.

If her goal is a particular number on a scale, or to be at the very bottom of the normal BMI range, then no, not everyone can do that without sacrificing health.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Her doctor said she shouldnt lose anymore weight as shes underweight. Then , she went to a dietician and the dietician told her she was at a healthy weight

How tall is she and what's her weight?
  • emdeesea
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I don't think everyone defines ideal the same and the OP said the body they want, not ideal. I would never call a thigh gap or 24 inch waist or any of those trendy things ideal and I know I'm not alone.

I'm actually referring to the question: Can anyone have the body they want?

And the idealized body I refer to is for example the Victoria Secret Angels - who are tall, thin, long legs and arms, etc. Of course there is a lot of photoshop involved, too lol.

Open any women's magazines and you'll see what I mean about the idealized body.
  • emdeesea
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

And for what it's worth, I don't consider that an ideal body either. Not for me anyway. Because I'm both old enough to know better and to also think it really doesn't look all that good. But that's not what sells magazines unfortunately.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Let's be careful about sweeping generalisations here. Some people CAN healthily have a thigh gap, some can healthily have a 24" waist. In fact the latter is a loose goal of mine because my body shape will likely allow it. Given I'm 20lbs outside of a healthy BMI and my waist is currently 28" or so. I have a friend who can be a 22" waist and is totally healthy, she's just really finely boned and small.

However, it's all contextual, as in my example of myself. My genetics can allow me to have my body ideal, hopefully.

But really i think the op is more concerned for her friend more specifically than the broader issue. Anorexics think the thinner the better but the reality is it's a dangerous disorder that kills a lot of people. In that scenario, no, not everyone can have their body ideal. Your goals have to be realistic. Same goes for someone 300lbs+, more often than not they're not going to look like a fitness model without extensive surgery because of loose skin.

So. Context.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Well I'd say no. Because SOMEWHERE even if someone was at the closest to the ideal body, they'd want some improvement somewhere where they can't fix it. That's why even people with "perfect" bodies look to make adjustments.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png