Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

An idealized body is one that maybe 2% of the population have been genetically blessed with, and even then, only to the standards of what modern beauty looks like.

I don't think everyone defines ideal the same and the OP said the body they want, not ideal. I would never call a thigh gap or 24 inch waist or any of those trendy things ideal and I know I'm not alone.

I'm actually referring to the question: Can anyone have the body they want?

And the idealized body I refer to is for example the Victoria Secret Angels - who are tall, thin, long legs and arms, etc. Of course there is a lot of photoshop involved, too lol.

Open any women's magazines and you'll see what I mean about the idealized body.

Although the topic is "Can anyone have the body they want" the question within the first post was not actually whether someone can have any body they want. The OP was curious if loss of menstrual cycle indicated that the goal was not appropriate for her body (or her friend's body).

Can anyone have the body they want? It depends on whether their wants match their build. Not everyone wants to look like the photoshopped girls in magazines.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

An idealized body is one that maybe 2% of the population have been genetically blessed with, and even then, only to the standards of what modern beauty looks like.

I don't think everyone defines ideal the same and the OP said the body they want, not ideal. I would never call a thigh gap or 24 inch waist or any of those trendy things ideal and I know I'm not alone.

And for what it's worth, I don't consider that an ideal body either. Not for me anyway. Because I'm both old enough to know better and to also think it really doesn't look all that good. But that's not what sells magazines unfortunately.

I have a thigh gap naturally and I'm old enough to know better :( I guess I am a mutant freak who deserves to be body shamed lol

*Sigh* I meant trying to force your body into something that is unnatural for your specific body type. Dieting until you have no body fat to achieve a look.

Forget it, I'm wrong. I'll just shut my mouth from now on. Carry on.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    If her physician tells her that she's underweight, that should carry much more value than the nutritionist. That, coupled with amenorrhea suggests she may need intervention.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    There arent any problems except for weight loss as she already done the tests

What does her doctor say?

Her doctor said she shouldnt lose anymore weight as shes underweight. Then , she went to a dietician and the dietician told her she was at a healthy weight

How tall is she and what's her weight?

48kg and shes about 158cm
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    There is a fundamental difference between an idealized body as compared to a healthy body.

And then there are the rest of us - the 98% - the NORMAL people. The ones who - no matter how hard we try, will NEVER achieve a 24 inch waist, the thigh gap, the whatever is in vogue now, because it's NOT GENETICALLY POSSIBLE, and furthermore dangerous to even try.

So even more important to a healthy body is a healthy mind, and what is healthy for you, and the ability to recognize it.

You might want to explain the rise of the heavier set super model right now because that goes against your arguments. Most people don't want to look like your "2% idealized" body you know. Despite the hype most people are actually pretty satisfied with their bodies and the majority of people don't view that "idealized body type" as ideal anyway. Perhaps you should put down the magazines and then you might understand that the majority of people find a huge range of body types to be attractive and don't even care what's in Vogue.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    So my friend was overweight , lost some weight and is now at a healthy BMI and is really happy with her body. However , her period stopped completely and her mother told her that she should gain weight as she was not made to be thin and she is not naturally slim. Would really love to hear your opinions on this one !

From your posts it seems that she has seen the proper medical professionals and there doesn't seem to be anything medically wrong from what I gather. Should she gain weight? Not sure, but a 3rd party post about a medical issue is rather out of place for a board of lay people. As has been mentioned, there are many reasons that it could happen and she needs to keep working with her doctor and dietitian to resolve the issue. Perhaps putting back on a few pounds might help but I'm not a mystic so I couldn't say.

I wish her well but she seems to be doing the right things and it probably wouldn't hurt for her to regain a bit and see but that's her decision.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    If her physician tells her that she's underweight, that should carry much more value than the nutritionist. That, coupled with amenorrhea suggests she may need intervention.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

In a woman in her reproductive years, amenorrhea is a symptom of an underlying condition of some sort. It should not be dismissed or allowed to go unexplained, as it is associated with later infertility and osteoporosis.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    So my friend was overweight , lost some weight and is now at a healthy BMI and is really happy with her body. However , her period stopped completely and her mother told her that she should gain weight as she was not made to be thin and she is not naturally slim. Would really love to hear your opinions on this one !

This is a pretty different question that the subject line. If her BMI is really within the healthy range it's unlikely that she's so underweight that it would cause her period to stop. It's not impossible, especially if she lost weight very quickly, but it is unlikely. Also, if she didn't consider nutrition when losing it could a nutrient deficiency causing it. Or it could be something unrelated to her weight. She would be wise to see a GYN to determine the cause.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Are you the "friend"? :huh:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    tl;dr answer: No.

Detailed answer: Barring exceedingly rare metabolic disorders, everyone can get to a healthy body fat level; that's a matter of how and what you eat. Most people, again with the caveat of medical issues, can both get stronger with a resistance training program AND increase their cardiovascular health with cardio exercise.

All of that said, the "body you want" is incredibly subjective. Lean people look differently because of how their muscle insertions are set, the shape of their musculature, and the length and thickness of their bones and connective tissues. None of these are alterable without some fairly significant and radical surgery.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Are you always so skeptical? Just asking for a friend. ;)

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If the body you want is realistically based on your own genetics, body composition, age, and other health factors ... sure. I just think someone's vision of the ideal body falls within those parameters on very rare occasions. Very few of us are grand prize winners in the genetic lottery.
    Still doesn't mean we can't have rocking bodies as long as we are happy with what is possible for us.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

And for what it's worth, I don't consider that an ideal body either. Not for me anyway. Because I'm both old enough to know better and to also think it really doesn't look all that good. But that's not what sells magazines unfortunately.

I have a thigh gap naturally and I'm old enough to know better :( I guess I am a mutant freak who deserves to be body shamed lol

*Sigh* I meant trying to force your body into something that is unnatural for your specific body type. Dieting until you have no body fat to achieve a look.

Forget it, I'm wrong. I'll just shut my mouth from now on. Carry on.

Don't worry, everybody is wrong too. :)
  • healthy491
    Options

What the hell would you think that ? Oo
  • healthy491
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    tl;dr answer: No.

Detailed answer: Barring exceedingly rare metabolic disorders, everyone can get to a healthy body fat level; that's a matter of how and what you eat. Most people, again with the caveat of medical issues, can both get stronger with a resistance training program AND increase their cardiovascular health with cardio exercise.

All of that said, the "body you want" is incredibly subjective. Lean people look differently because of how their muscle insertions are set, the shape of their musculature, and the length and thickness of their bones and connective tissues. None of these are alterable without some fairly significant and radical surgery.

Thats a really good answer !
  • healthy491
    Options

I dont even know why you bothered to comment in the first place lol ? If you dont have anything nice to say , dont say anything.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Well your friend is technically underweight at BMI 19.2 so it wouldn't hurt to gain.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If she thinks 19.2 is normal weight she needs to get professional help especially since she jas lost her period.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If she thinks 19.2 is normal weight she needs to get professional help especially since she jas lost her period.

actually under 18.5 is underweight. so 19.2 is "normal" lower end, for sure, but depending on BF% and amount of lean muscle, may not be low for her at all. for someone with a lot of muscle 19.2 would be extremely low. If someone does not have a lot of muscle, it may be ideal