Started C25K, Who's with me!?

Options
Hey!

I did week 1 day 1 of Couch to 5k today... It was so hard for me, as someone who loathes running. But so proud I did it (albeit slowly). I walked/ran 1.5 miles! I went to a park, and used music and I think the nature and music helped a lot.

So, anyone wanna take this on with me? There is a handy dandy app and everything. :)

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    I've finished C25K a while ago and ran my first 5k in late July. So while I can't join you on your journey at the moment, I'll be cheering you on! Have faith in yourself and know you CAN do this. Stick with it, go slow, repeat days or weeks if you need it, and you'll soon think back on this first day and smile at how far you have gone.
  • CrescentVolf
    CrescentVolf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've finished C25K a while ago and ran my first 5k in late July. So while I can't join you on your journey at the moment, I'll be cheering you on! Have faith in yourself and know you CAN do this. Stick with it, go slow, repeat days or weeks if you need it, and you'll soon think back on this first day and smile at how far you have gone.

That is SO awesome! I'm anticipating repeating week one at least, and probably a couple more, as my body is so not used to running. I'm not gonna let that hold me back though! I figured at the end, I would treat myself by signing up for a Color Run 5k! Though I'm not sure they do those in winter, may have to wait until spring :) Congrats on completing the program!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    You've got this. :) You can do much more than you think you can. Be sure to get properly fitted for shoes at your local running store. They won't be cheap, but it will be worth it.
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I finished the 1st week of my C25k program this morning. Jogged/walked on MWF. I'm using the RunDouble app as it syncs with MFP. What app are you using? Love to join you!

Congrats on your 1st day and completing a mile and a half. Its a big step to start a new program. Doesn't matter what pace you run, only that you're out there doing it! You can do this!

I used to run when I was in my 20s and 30s and miss it so. So I've decided to give it another shot. The key is to run within yourself so you're not feeling miserable during the process and to have a good pair of shoes. Tomorrow I'm headed over to the local running store to get my gait analyzed and purchase a decent pair of trainers. Hoping that and running on a soft surface will do the trick.

Best of luck to you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Welcome to running! Until I started C25K in 2011 I had always hated running. If you saw me running, you had better run, too, because there was something chasing me! I now run year round and run half marathons in the winter, which is race season here.

There's actually a C25K group here, if you haven't found it yet. You should find lots of people in the midst of the training as well as graduates participating in the forums there.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My son and I just started this week. We are finishing week 1 tomorrow morning. Let's all check in together to stay motivated! I'm hoping to do a 5k with him over thanksgiving weekend if we stay on track with the runs.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am on my last day of week 3 tomorrow! I am absolutely loving it!
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm getting into running myself! Question for all of you who use treadmills and just starting out, what speed do you guys put yourself in? I don't know if I'm doing this too slowly :(
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Iv just completed week 1 day 3, i started in January as i took part in the 5k muddy run for cancer , i only got half way through the app at the start of the year , i joined the gym this week and have been doing the app on the treadmill, Im looking forward to being able to complete it!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    janekana wrote: »
    I'm getting into running myself! Question for all of you who use treadmills and just starting out, what speed do you guys put yourself in? I don't know if I'm doing this too slowly :(

You should do it at whatever speed is comfortable for YOU! Don't get hung up on what anyone else is doing. But to answer your question, I'm currently running at 5.5mph (wk 4) but I will probably have to drop down to 5.0 or perhaps even less to get to week 10. I've run at 4.8 some days.

When I first did it (3 years ago) I finished it at 6.0mph. Injury, illness, and just life interfered, (or I just slacked off), and I have restarted it more than 10 times since then, but steadily slower. It was tough enough to not compare myself with others let alone younger me, but I eventually realized that pushing too hard led to frustration and injury, I had to be realistic about my own abilities.

Just do what you can within reason and know that sticking with it is more likely to lead to success than pushing too hard.
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I finished this back in June not my favourite exercise I much prefer my bike it was something I wanted to do I did so I bike every day and walk. But you can do it keep plodding along
  • CrescentVolf
    Options
    Unfortunately, I cannot afford another pair of shoes but I have memory foam Sketchers that are serving me fairly well. :)

I'm using Zenlabs Pro, as I had Google Play credit and read it was the official one somewhere. Didn't know the RunDouble one syncs up! Oh well, the pro version gives me milage and calories burned, so I am able to log it.

I will definitely check out the group! I haven't messed with the group stuff much yet, but I will try to find it, haha.

Congrats to everyone on their progress and to those who completed the program! I'm sure I will always be more of a swimmer than a runner, but running a 5k is on my bucket list :) I did cross country in middle school, but never much got into it, so I'm not sure if that will change now that I am older!
  • CrescentVolf
    Options
    I plan on completing Day 2 on Monday! And on Wednesday Day 3. I will then evaluate what I need to do on Friday, move on or repeat!

Today I am toying with the idea of a long walk through Green Swamp or Carolina Beach State Park. The trails at both are just gorgeous!
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My son and I just completed week 1 day 3 this morning. We are heading out tomorrow to start week 2.
  • heycheerioyall
    heycheerioyall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just joined a local group that is doing C25K. We finish week one tomorrow. Feel free to add me.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I tried it last fall, but couldn't continue as my foot was still trying to heal from an unrelated incident the March before. I loved it though, and I think I will get back into it this winter on the treadmill. There's nothing like being outside though :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    janekana wrote: »

You should work out at your own speed. You should be going very slow when starting.
    I completed the entire C25K on the treadmill. Make sure that your breathing isn't too laboured. A common (and, I find effective) test is to speak a short sentence aloud. If you're panting it out, slow down.
    Something to remember: a person can actually run slower than they walk.

Speed comes over time.....lots of time.....on your feet. You won't find speed in your C25K training.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    This group is active and very supportive. It helped me through my training: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just finished the first week last week (embarrassingly for me; I used to be a distance runner before my son was born 9 years ago).
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Oh I'll do this with you! I'll start tonight.