Work and food

Options
DezYaoified
DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So i work around food 6-12 hours a day. Average is 9 hours. I rarely get a break to recharge. Very little down time. About 3/4 of my time is actually spent with the food itself and 1/4 with customers. Earliest day starts at 6am and latest is 3am. The issue i find myself fighting is that i dont have the time to eat healthy at work. I have tried making something easy like a burrito that i can just take a bite of real quick before washing up to get back to work. Normally i can only do this if i have to get out of the food prep area for a drink. As you can understand, if youre gone for more then 2 or 3 minutes for a drink of water, someone will come looking for you. A lot of times the only option to eat is the unhealthy items we are serving, there is just not enough time to get the food i brought without a break.

I guess my question is simply how other food workers deal with this? I can handle a 6 hour shift without eating but the 9 or 12 hour shifts sometimes make it difficult.

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I worked as a youth counselor, and it felt like everybody freaks if they can't find you for 2 minutes. even bathroom breaks were almost impossible. Then as a case manager, it was easier to take breaks, but there were a lot of times when clients would call or come in to the office with some crises. In my experience, eating lunch or taking a 5-10min break is frowned upon. But after a while I was like "forget it", and made my breaks a priority (it was easier with the case position). It's impossible to be able to help others if you can't take care of yourself. If someone freaks, just remind them that it's the law (and maybe offer to help him/her so they can take their break).

Do you have time one day of the week where you can batch cook at home, and take your food to work? Maybe stuff that doesn't need to be reheated if there's no time.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    yaoified wrote: »
    So i work around food 6-12 hours a day. Average is 9 hours. I rarely get a break to recharge.

If your simply looking for nutrition, calorie control, and staitiey there are options like Soylent, Super Body Fuel, and Joylent.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    Why in goodness name aren't you taking a lunch break? (Let alone rest breaks)
    If you are an employee, you are legally entitled.
    If you are a business owner, be kinder to yourself!

This ^^
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am going to assume that you are in the U.S.

That being said, you (legally) must be given lunch and break times.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »

Some people can waive their break as long as they sign a form, depending on the state they are in. Some people don't feel like they can take a lunch because the workload that accumulates over a lunch break pretty much makes the rest of the day a game of catch up, where as if you worked over lunch its easier to maintain the workload.

There are a lot of reasons people would wrather not take a lunch or don't take lunches. As a salaried employee at one time, would not take a lunch, there was just no time for a lunch period.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I thought that too but when I looked, it seems that laws about breaks vary from state to state.

Department of Labor chart showing state meal break laws

Department of Labor chart showing state rest break laws

OP, could you take a shake or smoothie that you could grab to drink during your couple of minutes of downtime? It's not ideal but it might be a faster-to-get-down option.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What kinds of food do you consider unhealthy? Perhaps consider taking a small amount of what is available.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital and dont always get breaks/lunch. We eat small snack like babybel cheese or nuts, something like that. Anything to get through our 12 hour shifts. I plan my day with MFP, so it works out great. I've lost 40 pounds this way.
  • DezYaoified
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I thought that too but when I looked, it seems that laws about breaks vary from state to state.

OP, could you take a shake or smoothie that you could grab to drink during your couple of minutes of downtime? It's not ideal but it might be a faster-to-get-down option.

The only labor law for breaks are for those under the age of 17. 17 or up the employeer is not require to give you a break unless you are qorking a double shift (which is considered more then 14 hours in one business day)

I can take food from home, its just hard to find the time. By the time i even find my stuff and get ready to open my food someone is looking for me. Ive tried shakes but i cant handle milk while im working and i dont like almond milk.

I guess i wondering about food that doesnt have to be put in a cold lunch box? Something that can be left out without going bad so i can get to it faster?
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

That is not true. The law depends on the state. In many instances you are not legally entitled to any breaks. Your employer may choose to give them to you.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Where I work, there's a shelf in our cooler set aside for employee food and drinks. I usually take a small sugary drink when I work [2 if I work more than eight hours] and duck in the cooler on occasion to take a sip [it helps to keep my blood sugars up].
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options

I guess i wondering about food that doesnt have to be put in a cold lunch box? Something that can be left out without going bad so i can get to it faster?

Nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit/veggies easy to peel on the spot - eg bananas, mandarines, grapes, apples, carrots etc

Bread/ sandwiches/ crackers with fillings that don't need refrigerating

Muesli bars

Or bring an insulated lunch with ice packs and you can have your own ' mini fridge'

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Oops, mucked up quoting...try again........

Nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit/veggies easy to peel on the spot - eg bananas, mandarines, grapes, apples, carrots etc

Bread/ sandwiches/ crackers with fillings that don't need refrigerating

Muesli bars

Or bring an insulated lunch with ice packs and you can have your own ' mini fridge'
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above and what about a protein shake. I know I have similar days and I keep it with me and take a sip out of it. Helps me not feel like I'm starving. I prepare it before I go to work in a shaker bottle and add ice to keep it cold.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So i work around food 6-12 hours a day. Average is 9 hours. I rarely get a break to recharge. Very little down time. About 3/4 of my time is actually spent with the food itself and 1/4 with customers. Earliest day starts at 6am and latest is 3am. The issue i find myself fighting is that i dont have the time to eat healthy at work. I have tried making something easy like a burrito that i can just take a bite of real quick before washing up to get back to work. Normally i can only do this if i have to get out of the food prep area for a drink. As you can understand, if youre gone for more then 2 or 3 minutes for a drink of water, someone will come looking for you. A lot of times the only option to eat is the unhealthy items we are serving, there is just not enough time to get the food i brought without a break.

I guess my question is simply how other food workers deal with this? I can handle a 6 hour shift without eating but the 9 or 12 hour shifts sometimes make it difficult.

what do you serve that is so 'unhealthy' you cant eat it?

given that you have an active job and don't have a lot of time to eat, i don't see why you can't maintain a deficit eating small portions of food from work?
  • DezYaoified
    Options

given that you have an active job and don't have a lot of time to eat, i don't see why you can't maintain a deficit eating small portions of food from work?

I work in a dessert kitchen.
    Ex.
    Breakfast is a red velvet cake waffle with creamcheese glaze and sugared berries.
    Lunch is a strawberry shortcake sandwich with grilled strawberry fries.
    Dinner is a grilled watermelon steak with whipped mascarpone and mixed berries.
    We make sweet items look like regular food items.

I can get a side of berries to snack on if i get into work early enough to order before my shift but i literally can not eat berries all day.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

I work in a dessert kitchen.
    Ex.
    Breakfast is a red velvet cake waffle with creamcheese glaze and sugared berries.
    Lunch is a strawberry shortcake sandwich with grilled strawberry fries.
    Dinner is a grilled watermelon steak with whipped mascarpone and mixed berries.
    We make sweet items look like regular food items.

I can get a side of berries to snack on if i get into work early enough to order before my shift but i literally can not eat berries all day.

Ohmygosh
    I totally want pictures! That sounds SO cool!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

The only labor law for breaks are for those under the age of 17. 17 or up the employeer is not require to give you a break unless you are qorking a double shift (which is considered more then 14 hours in one business day)

I can take food from home, its just hard to find the time. By the time i even find my stuff and get ready to open my food someone is looking for me. Ive tried shakes but i cant handle milk while im working and i dont like almond milk.

Ok. So you are allowed to have food at your work station? I was thinking that you'd have to have something in a different room. In that case, I'd suggest a peanut butter sandwich, granola bars, and nuts. If you can pop over to the fridge halfway through a shift and grab out the container, maybe cheese cubes too. Would that, in addition to some cut up fruits/veggies, work?
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My advice would be protein bars or, as some have mentioned, protein shakes. Even if you can't stop to eat/drink a whole one at once, sips and bites when you can are going to help a lot and they're so easy to carry and store. I work in a lab and often times we'll have long days and some people won't take breaks so I have to excuse myself and inhale my snack as quickly as possibly bc otherwise I will reach a point where I'm useless.

Staying hydrated is also very helpful as well. Even if I'm starving, I find I can keep going much longer if I have enough water during the day