Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't log anymore.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't log when I'm at my optimum weight, however when I go over that weight (I give myself a 2kg margin), I start tracking again. I'm on a logging streak now again but I should be back on track soon enough.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I expect I will log forever just to make sure I get enough protein and iron...I have a tendency to neglect those...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have to log as well. I am good at judging portion sizes, so I don't weigh or measure my food, but logging keeps me aware of how much I am eating. This is the way it has to be for me. I know myself, and I would end overeating and gaining back all the weight I lost. That's not gonna happen.
    I could easily eat 3-4 times (probably more) the number of calories I should have been eating pre MFP.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Once you reach maintenance, how many still weigh and log everything?
    I'm hopeful that my end result will be a much better ability to eyeball portion sizes and calories as well as having a strong desire and personal accountability to keep moving forward, not backwards.

Besides.....the thought of weighing/measuring and logging my food forever, makes me a little sad.

Hi Julie
    I still weigh things where the entire package is not one portion this reason.
    If I do not weight the frozen vegetables how can I tell how long to Microwave them for and I use them daily for convenience and that I believe they are actually closer to field to frozen state compared to picked fresh, Packaged, shipped and wholesaled then distributed to the store "Fresh" Vegetables. I believe that most frozen vegetables were processed and frozen with 24 hours. "Fresh" vegetables are most likely several days away from the field. Not to mention I can get 5 or 5..5 pound bags of frozen vegetables from CostCo cheaper compared to fresh. Frozen Fruit OTOH I do not like the texture.

I do not log but I do try and keep my 3 smallish meals within a certain calorie range and likewise for the three small snacks I use throughout the day. Those fall in Mid Morning, Mid Afternoon and evening Dessert.

An example Breakfast would be a Banana before I head out for my morning walk, followed by a Protein Shake when I return and a later a bowl of cereal, using the one serving size that works out to be around 100 to 120 calories of cereal and and 4 ounces of 1% milk that is 50 calories and Sweetener.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh or log anymore and I am maintaining just fine. I do, however, eat a lot of the same things frequently, so it's pretty easy for me to know my portion sizes. I weigh myself every morning just to check in and see how things look. If I go over my target by a few pounds, I might start measuring food again until I get back to where I like to be. Try it out for a couple weeks. Just try eating like you have been and don't track it. Watch the scale.

My biggest issue with not logging is not always eating enough protein or fiber.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I only weigh foods when I feel like I need to.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I think that there is a lot of variation in what works for you, as shown by all the responses here. Some people can maintain their desired weight through eating sensibly. For me, for whatever reason, my natural state tends to be about 30 pounds heavier than my desired state, so I find that intuitive eating alone doesn't work for me because bit by bit (a few extra almonds here a dab more olive oil there) the weight will creep back on.

I know that I need to keep logging as long as I want to keep the weight off, but I don't have to be as rigorous about it as I do when I'm losing. I can do more guestimating and I can skip a day or two logging here and there. The trick is finding the balance of enjoying life, while still not gaining, that works for you. Good luck! :)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You folks who don't weigh and/or log--do you track in any way (in your head, counting protein grams, etc.) or do you just go by fullness cues or something else?

That's a really good question. I'm looking forward to the responses so perhaps I can approach maintenance from a different perspective.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I weighed things religiously for about 4 months. That gave me enough confidence in my estimating so I am always adding in my head and keeping up with the day's totals. So I will always count I guess. Just don't always log.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    After weighing and logging for months, it gets to be like "OK ALREADY! I know how much a serving of cereal is!" :lol: Plus, it starts feeling a little crazy logging the same things over and over again (I cycle through a lot of the same meals weekly - it helps with cooking for 3 people, all chock full of food issues). If I eat breakfast, it is always either Cheerios with chia seeds and protein powder, something with eggs, or a green smoothie. Thankfully, it is easy to find your recent / frequent entries in MFP. Lunches and dinners are a bit more diversified than breakfast, but I honestly think I know how to control my portions enough to maintain my weight. And I know that I cannot go back to being sedentary.

I would like to lose another 5 lbs or so. I have increased my exercise a bit to see what happens. I have a feeling that with so little to lose, I'm going to have to get back to logging and shaving off those calories here and there.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    After weighing and logging for months, it gets to be like "OK ALREADY! I know how much a serving of cereal is!" :lol: Plus, it starts feeling a little crazy logging the same things over and over again (I cycle through a lot of the same meals weekly - it helps with cooking for 3 people, all chock full of food issues). If I eat breakfast, it is always either Cheerios with chia seeds and protein powder, something with eggs, or a green smoothie. Thankfully, it is easy to find your recent / frequent entries in MFP. Lunches and dinners are a bit more diversified than breakfast, but I honestly think I know how to control my portions enough to maintain my weight. And I know that I cannot go back to being sedentary.

I would like to lose another 5 lbs or so. I have increased my exercise a bit to see what happens. I have a feeling that with so little to lose, I'm going to have to get back to logging and shaving off those calories here and there.

I'm where you're at. I wouldn't mind losing 5-10 more pounds, however, I'm happy with my weight now. I just don't trust myself yet to be diligent enough to make the best choices so the scale will remain on the counter. I have just started, after a couple months at maintenance, to not weigh everything. Time will tell. And I hear you about being sedentary...not allowable any more.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh when maintaining. I still weigh myself and if I gain, I cut back. If I lose, I eat a bit more.

I only weigh food and count calories when my goal is to gain or lose weight.