Weighing and logging.....forever??

Options

Replies

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. Some people internalize the information, others don't. Also as people age or have different nutritional requirements, e.g., pregnancy, they have to make changes in their diet. I would definitely recommend weighing oneself at least a week and if there's a weight gain to take action. That might mean cutting out alcohol and sugar for the rest of the week or something more drastic.

Personally, even if maintaining a good weight required detailed tracking it would be worth it to me.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You folks who don't weigh and/or log--do you track in any way (in your head, counting protein grams, etc.) or do you just go by fullness cues or something else?

I rely on the same simple meals whose calorie count I know.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh everything anymore (some things still), but I will probably always log in some manner. I see and hear about too many people who eventually gained their weight back, and so many talked about no longer paying attention. That might make me a little sad sometimes, but the idea of being close to 300 pounds again, makes me sadder.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I lost 24lbs-ish in 2012. I thought I had learned enough to keep myself on track and continue at maintenance. I gained some weight. I lost some weight. It was life.
    A few years later (and several up sizes in clothes) I stepped on a scale and I had gained 30lbs so I feel as though I do not trust myself to hop off logging and weighing food once I'm on maintenance because once I stop seeing exactly how much I'm consuming (rather than estimating) I clearly go a little crazy.

I still have about 21+/- lbs to lose before switching to maintenance. We'll see what road I choose when I get there!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'll probably log and weigh everything for another year or more. I may do some trial runs next year to see, for instance, over the course of a few weeks if I can maintain without logging and measuring/weighing, but for now it's a necessity. I need to work on reducing my exercise to a long-term manageable amount (I won't be able to keep up 6 days a week forever, I'm 47) that I can handle past 50, then adjust my calories accordingly. Once that happens in the next year or so I hope to be so used to knowing what to eat, when to eat it, and what I need to "pay for" with extra exercise, that I won't need to log. I don't want to end up having to come back and diet again a year down the road because I gained 50 lbs. I'm getting too old for that lol.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal. First, I logged for almost 2 years so my "eye-balling" of weights is fairly accurate imho. However, if my goal is to make weight for a powerlifting meet I am certainly more tight on my macros, but I learned the hard way that being rigorous for so long has terrible side-effects. So in the "off season" I am more relaxed. I try to not go hog wild, but if I do I just get back on track...no sweat.

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    At this point I'm where I want to be and working on recomp. To me it isn't about calories anymore, but maintaining a nutritional balance for health. If I don't log, I'll start skipping veggies and stuff!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You folks who don't weigh and/or log--do you track in any way (in your head, counting protein grams, etc.) or do you just go by fullness cues or something else?

I eat many of the same general types of foods every day. Not the exact same foods (outside of breakfast), but in the ballpark. As such, my log would look very similar day to day. Sure, the particular foods and actual amounts may vary - especially since I rarely weigh anything - but the counts (Cals, macros, micros) will be very similar day-in, day-out.

In my case, it really has become, "eat a little less of what I've been eating and/or move a little more," if my weight starts to creep up; eat a little more, if my weight goes down too much.

This isn't to say that some days aren't very different from others - but not so much as to throw things completely out of whack.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad.....let's see if I can accurately describe my thoughts:

It is my hope that I will be able to achieve a healthy style of living, one that includes self-control and moderation. (By eyeball)
    My family doesn't weigh and log their meals....I'd like to be able to sit at the family dinner table, and eyeball a scoop of potatoes and pass the bowl .....rather than having pre-portioned my food.
    I hope I will have educated myself along this journey that by the time I reach maintenance, I'll be able to use the wisdom I've gathered and simply apply it.....without having to obsessively weigh and measure and log every gram
    And finally, I hope to not live in fear. Fear of fat, fear of calories, fear of the number on the scale.

I, personally don't think that's an unreasonable thing to want in the future. I think we all want that. I'm also sure there are some of us (I might even be one, so I'm not judging anyone) that will never be able to do that. However, it's a goal of mine as well. I do think I am working toward that now with maintenance though. I'm allowing myself days of eating what I want to see what happens. Having said that, I do weigh and monitor it, if I go over or up to the max on my calories that day, I try the next few days to adjust both my exercise and my caloric intake to smooth it out. Then I watch my weight over the next couple of weeks.

The thing is, if I can be successful with that for the next year or so, I won't be so scared about stopping the logging because the scale will help me keep on track. I'll not only know what kinds of foods and condiments (salt/etc.) cause me to gain water weight, I will know (and do already) how to counter that by increasing water intake and reducing sodium over the period of the next few days. Once I'm sure the water weight is flushed I'll be able to monitor my weight and see if I have been overindulging. I don't think I will have to log food forever, but I do think, because of my own appetites, that I will have to monitor by sight and by weight (body scale, not weighing food) for likely the rest of my life. I just don't want it to get out of control enough to have to come back and log again. So once you hit maintenance it's time to teach yourself how to cope with the added calories long term. That's my goal at least, but it doesn't make me sad that I'm not there yet. It's the journey that matters and it's also the journey that will teach me how to be successful long term.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but I don't weigh everything. I do weigh some things though. I feel like this is a lifestyle change for me, and part of that is tracking my food and exercise. I feel like if I don't, I'll go back to getting fat again, and I love the new me. That's me and what works for me. Others may do just fine without it.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Once you reach maintenance, how many still weigh and log everything?
    I'm hopeful that my end result will be a much better ability to eyeball portion sizes and calories as well as having a strong desire and personal accountability to keep moving forward, not backwards.

Besides.....the thought of weighing/measuring and logging my food forever, makes me a little sad.

Why does it make you sad? The thought of being overweight, sedentary, and having lots of health problems makes me even sadder.

I do not know how got by for so long without my food scale. I honestly wish I could bring it everywhere with me and weigh my food where ever I go, but I think I might get funny looks in public.

I will never stop weighing or tracking, I will do this for the rest of my life. However I do frequently go over my calorie allotment, but if I put it in my mouth it goes in MFP.

It makes me sad.....let's see if I can accurately describe my thoughts:

It is my hope that I will be able to achieve a healthy style of living, one that includes self-control and moderation. (By eyeball)
    My family doesn't weigh and log their meals....I'd like to be able to sit at the family dinner table, and eyeball a scoop of potatoes and pass the bowl .....rather than having pre-portioned my food.
    I hope I will have educated myself along this journey that by the time I reach maintenance, I'll be able to use the wisdom I've gathered and simply apply it.....without having to obsessively weigh and measure and log every gram
    And finally, I hope to not live in fear. Fear of fat, fear of calories, fear of the number on the scale.

Tell me if am understanding what you are saying: You want to be able to naturally determine correct portion sizes, without having to think about it all the time? Do you find it exhausting to always be thinking about food all the time?

I am not sure where you live, but in America, we are surrounded by messages to eat eat eat all the time. Portion sizes could serve 2-3 people 50 years ago are the norm. A "small" is a 12 ounce cup, when 8 ounces is considered a serving. A small ice cream is at least 2 scoops! For me, weighing and logging is the only way to fight back against out bigger is better lifestyle.

Have you heard of the book "Slim by Design" and "Mindless Eating"? They have tips on how you can modify your environment and habits to help you eat less without even realizing it.

If I am at a family event, I don't weigh, but I do try and track in my head to log later. For example, if I take a small handful of chips, I estimate 1 ounce. I will count the cookies I put on my plate to log later. Before I start eating I think to myself, "I think this is about 5 ounces, this looks like 1 cup of veggies" and then log later. How do you feel about doing that?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm HOPING that I can stop logging after I reach maintenance. My goal this year while I'm losing weight is to choose foods I normally eat and get portion and calorie counting down. When I reach maintenance (6 months or so after) I want to break each meal down. For example if I can have 1600 for maintenance thats either 600 a meal or 500 a meal with 300 in snacks.

This is my hope/plan. I will weigh everyday and change back to logging if this doesn't work.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I have maintained my weight loss so far without continuous logging. I dip in and out as I really can't be bothered with it all the time. What I do though is log in to the tool everyday and keep up with exercising
    Now when am ready to finish what I have started I will start logging again religiously to lose some vanity weight
    But I won't be logging forever
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Right now, I try and log everything on here. I have never weighed everything. I just use the package, what I find on the net for it, etc. works for me.

I weight my meats, or my fried potatos..that's about it. I lift light weights in the morning and afternoon. 2 sets each time, 6 different routines and I don't log any of that as calories burned.

I figure that will allow me to be off a couple hundred calories. Whatever works for you.

I hope to someday STOP logging and trust myself. (Of course that was how over years, I got to be over 300 pounds)

My Dr actually asked me that..if I'd keep doing it. I said I hope to hell not. I don't want to be a slave to the internet..logging food all the time, weighing food, tracking exercise...

I'd like to get the hang of this and be able to do it on my own at some point. I'll still weigh myself, so I can see where I am at.

For me, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet & exercise program. So, I am training myself on how and what to eat, and to make sure I stay active the rest of my life.

I wish you success on your journey.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I will do sloppy logging like I usually do when I take maintenance breaks. Some things I will weigh, some things I won't, some days I'll log, some days I won't. What I will keep doing religiously is weigh myself and every time I notice a trend up I will tighten up my logging for a while or have a fast day. It has worked for me for maintenance breaks and was pretty sustainable, so I know it will work comfortably long term.

I also have a nice database of precalculated recipes sorted by the general calorie count (200-300, 300-400, 400-500...etc) in private boards on pinterest. (this is a nice tool for anyone using chrome to get a quick estimate of the calories for any recipe on any website). On days I don't log I utilize some of these recipes to be in the ballpark of my desired calorie goal. In addition to that I have "go-to"s, like I know my oatmeal is never over 350 calories no matter what I put in it of the variations I tried so far, I know most of my apples are around 85-90 calories and that none of the packaged candy or chips I usually eat is over 250 calories. So I can basically run a rough estimate in my head to see if I can fit something or not.