Supplements and fat burners

Options
Hello

Right. I am not too sure if this is the right thread to post on about supplements so i apologise in advance.

Currently i am taking some supplements whilst on a weight loss journey as i needed something to help with the fatigue. I am taking CLA along with optiwomen multivitamins and also L Carnitine as a fat burner. I have not noticed much results

I have considered purchasing the grenade fat burners as i have read good reviews on them but a bit hesistant if there will work for me.

I am small framed, weigh 138lbs and height is 5 1. Lowest weight has been 105lbs but now i cant seem to shift these pounds. I dont have no medical condition such as an underactive thyroid or vitamin D deficiency so i am not sure if i am eating 1200 calories even though i track them

Please help x

Replies

• Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Lol thank you
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Low energy would probably be more directly related to low calories. I would also take a look at the types of food you are eating; possible need to focus on different food types to help with energy.

How long have you been tracking? And what is your workout plan?
  • Laurasmartyone
    Laurasmartyone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've tried similar products before - as a bit of a guinea pig experiment (out of interest), and I don't find that they massively enhance any results when compared to being on the same nutrition regime without them. I'd rather save the money and use it to buy good quality food.
    I'd suggest having a closer look at your TDEE and Macros. Do you do much activity, If so, what type of activity.
    I'm such an advocate of women using weights - there are so many advantages to increasing your lean muscle mass, including increasing your bone density (which naturally starts to decline as you get older), an increase in metabolic rate, and a more 'toned' (I'm sure many PT's like myself hate that word!) overall appearance.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Supplements are the modern day snake oil. Anything that actually works will generally need a prescription or be outright banned because anything that can speed up fat loss through manipulating your metabolism to a significant degree will be a rather dangerous substance for you to be ingesting. Appetite suppressants can be effective in the short term but eventually they lose their effectiveness as you adapt and also you don't learn proper weight control through diet and exercise by taking that short cut. Absorption blockers tend to be prescription as well but can have some undesirable side effects but I believe you can get something like Xenical OTC in the US. I don't know if I would recommend it but it's certainly proven to work whereas the supplements can say whatever they want and don't have to provide any scientific evidence and should be avoided.
  • Zarka_91
    Options
    Psulemon - I am currently having plenty of lean protein and veggies but have not been eating well past week or so due to ill health.. i find it hard to eat 1200 calories which is what i am supposed to be eating. Workout wise i am doing a lot of cardio and have started to incorporate weights.. i have been tracking for a couple of weeks or so

Lauradyanelewis- Yes i agree with you. For the weeks i have been taking the supplements i have seen no dramatic results. I still feel i just need to take a multivitamin as diet alone will not give me the necessary nutrients.. i have started to incorporate weights although i have a long way to go with building my stamina..

Wheelhouse15 - Thankyou i will definitely do some research and look into Xenical OTC

Thanks a bunch guys ! Im fairly new on here so still getting used to the forums.. !!
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2016
    Options
    zarkaahmed wrote: »
    Psulemon - I am currently having plenty of lean protein and veggies but have not been eating well past week or so due to ill health.. i find it hard to eat 1200 calories which is what i am supposed to be eating. Workout wise i am doing a lot of cardio and have started to incorporate weights.. i have been tracking for a couple of weeks or so

Lauradyanelewis- Yes i agree with you. For the weeks i have been taking the supplements i have seen no dramatic results. I still feel i just need to take a multivitamin as diet alone will not give me the necessary nutrients.. i have started to incorporate weights although i have a long way to go with building my stamina..

Wheelhouse15 - Thankyou i will definitely do some research and look into Xenical OTC

Thanks a bunch guys ! Im fairly new on here so still getting used to the forums.. !!

Well illness is probably what is effecting your energy levels. Also, in my experience, tons of cardio + low car = bad option. It rarely allows you to reach your goal. What I would do is recover from the illness, cut cardio down to 2/3 days a week, and follow a good resistance/weight training routine.

I would also get a food scale to increase accuracy.
  • cherylzimmer9
    cherylzimmer9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Supplements have a place in our wellness. If we focus on gut health and balanced blood sugar our ability to lose weight and keep it off will increase. Gut health has a lot to do with weight loss and weight gain and over all health. They are not a quick fix of course, but they are a part of the process.
  • cherylzimmer9
    cherylzimmer9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Obviously, we have to also watch what we eat and exercise but supplements can help!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Obviously, we have to also watch what we eat and exercise but supplements can help!

There are only a few select supplements that really show any kind of benefit; caffeine, creatine and whey (and this is only to increase total consumption to adequate levels). Outside of that, the effects are minimal and should only be considered once calories, nutrition and training are on point and you are at a low enough body fat that there could be a tangable difference. Even then many of the proven ones are only effective for 70 to 80% of people.
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use lemon and chilli peppers as natural fat burners. With low carb meal plan saw better results than any fat burner supps.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

There are only a few select supplements that really show any kind of benefit; caffeine, creatine and whey (and this is only to increase total consumption to adequate levels). Outside of that, the effects are minimal and should only be considered once calories, nutrition and training are on point and you are at a low enough body fat that there could be a tangable difference. Even then many of the proven ones are only effective for 70 to 80% of people.

Ephedra can still be purchased in Canada and is a proven weight loss tool, but it only adds something like 1KG per month more than would be achieved naturally by speeding up metabolism by about 5%, which is not a lot. It does have some potentially nasty side effects including possibly being the cause of death in a few cases. Caffeine adds to the weight loss synergistically but caffeine on its own has not been shown to be an effective weight loss tool on it's own, however it is good as a pre-workout.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    MoonKat7 wrote: »
    I use lemon and chilli peppers as natural fat burners. With low carb meal plan saw better results than any fat burner supps.

Those fat burner supplements aren't very effective, they just cost like they should work.
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Those fat burner supplements aren't very effective, they just cost like they should work.

And some have unhealthy fillers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hello

Right. I am not too sure if this is the right thread to post on about supplements so i apologise in advance.

Currently i am taking some supplements whilst on a weight loss journey as i needed something to help with the fatigue. I am taking CLA along with optiwomen multivitamins and also L Carnitine as a fat burner. I have not noticed much results

I have considered purchasing the grenade fat burners as i have read good reviews on them but a bit hesistant if there will work for me.

I am small framed, weigh 138lbs and height is 5 1. Lowest weight has been 105lbs but now i cant seem to shift these pounds. I dont have no medical condition such as an underactive thyroid or vitamin D deficiency so i am not sure if i am eating 1200 calories even though i track them

Please help x

Have you had your iron/ferritin levels tested? Despite being anemic for decades, I have to specifically request this test as part of my yearly blood work. When my anemia is untreated I suffer from crippling fatigue.

How many calories are you eating/day, how tall are you, and what's your weekly weight loss goal? Under-eating can also cause fatigue.

What percentage of the calories you earn from exercise do you eat back? If none, then you are under-eating. MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

And some have unhealthy fillers.

Who knows what they put in those, hopefully it's not dangerous but you can never tell since they aren't properly regulated and inspected.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ...I have considered purchasing the grenade fat burners as i have read good reviews on them but a bit hesistant if there will work for me...

Yes. They'll work to make your wallet lighter.

But you won't lose any weight/fat because of them. They're a scam/ripoff.
  • Zarka_91
    Options
    Psulemon – Yes calorie wise im eating 1200 calories but I still think I may need to increase it to 1440. I have seen results this week maybe I hit a plateau before. I want to lose a couple more lbs before I incorporate resistance/ weight training into my training routine. Which food scales would you recommend. There seem to be various ones on the market.

Also can anyone help with TDEE is that the same thing as how many calories you eating and how many you should burn ?

Moonkat7 – Thanks im a chilli and lemon fan too. I am also drinking lots of green tea for preworkout so maybe I should just stick to it instead of introducing lots of supplements. Im just worried about my metabolism slowing down so I really don’t want to introduce any supplements at all.

Kshama2001- yes my iron levels are okay. I had a blood test just couple of weeks ago so that’s all in check. Im currently eating 1200 cals, im 5 1 and weekly weight loss goal is to lose 2lbs. I just about can manage below 1200 calories. I do try to eat what I burn but not always possible, even though I track what MFP says.