Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Workout on an EMPTY stomach or after EATING?

Options

Replies

• Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have to have something in me before, I wake up feeling nauseous from hunger in the mornings, and I usually have some acid reflux or other stomach issues that make me just want to eat and sleep. If I'm planning a workout after eating (because normally they just fall in wherever I can fit them), I try to make sure I eat something simple, like the BRAT diet, or clear soup, or a bready product, maybe a sandwich. Something like salad or protein before a workout makes me sick and it will literally work it's way back up SLOWLY which is the WORST.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If i eat before i run i get cramps, so i run in the mornings before breakfast
  • Mezzack
    Mezzack Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i do my workouts at night an hour after I east dinner
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I (female) workout on an empty stomach because I don't like to vomit. If I am doing something that takes so long that I get hungry I will usually just eat a few bites and drink a cup of soy milk, for the same reason.
  • drinkwater1300
    drinkwater1300 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think eating right before a workout can have negative consequences. All the blood you need pumping to your muscles and lungs might get wasted on metabolizing the food. However I think there could be a variance of "empty" stomach and definition. Maybe the question should be how long after eating should someone wait to exercise and what waiting period offers optimal benefits? I wouldn't believe waiting more than an hour after eating a light meal is helping your body. And our body doesn't store protein outside of the muscles and we NEED protein and essential amino acids to help build and repair our muscles during activity and after or else we are just wasting muscle even if we are still burning fat. And we need electrolytes and potassium to balance the fluid distribution in our bodies after we perform or else our muscles will become stiff and inflamed with lactic acid among other things. Either way great question, you definitely got me thinking about this one!!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference, try different methods to see what works for you.

For me, I have to find a balance between the two. If I work out fasted, I get dizzy and nauseous (blood sugar drops too much). If I work out right after I eat, I get cramps. I do my best if I wait at least an hour after a meal or if I have something light (milk or an apple) if I want to exercise first thing in the morning.
  • littlebritttfit
    littlebritttfit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    empty stomach. working out after eating, no matter how big or small, makes me feel sick.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I work out on empty stomach. Find it very difficult to run with food in stomach, and as I normally work out at very strange (early) times it just suits me better. I think it depends on a) time of workout, and b) type of workout ... if you have for example very long running session I assume you will need to have a base.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Empty stomach for me. I started after reading a Mike Matthews piece about fasted workouts, but I've never researched much about it. I enjoy it personally and it seems to sit really well with me though, so I've never considered changing it. It's nice personal time for me in the wee hours as well. male, by the way.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    Empty stomach for me. I started after reading a Mike Matthews piece about fasted workouts, but I've never researched much about it. I enjoy it personally and it seems to sit really well with me though, so I've never considered changing it. It's nice personal time for me in the wee hours as well. male, by the way.

In my experience, this is the only reason to do it...
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    If I'm running , I'll have something to eat 30-60 minutes before, anything else (weight lifting,i.e.) I do so on empty stomach
  • boxa00
    boxa00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a banana before a workout. It gives me energy and doesn't make me feel sick.
    I don't know if gender makes a difference
  • D4LB
    D4LB Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach I have way better workouts for some reason!
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like taking a pre-workout and working out fasted in the morning and drink a shake shortly after..
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like to exercise on an empty stomach. I feel I can do more before getting tired, as long as I stay hydrated.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    KittyVida wrote: »
    I was having this debate with a male friend. After much research I learned that it is best for MEN to workout on empty while WOMEN should eat a little something. Our bodies process differently. But in the end, you should do what you best perform by.

So the question is: Which have you been doing and why do you prefer it?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that metabolic processes are influenced by gender. Do what works for you. This is nothing more than following a routine. Routines are the means by which the successful meet their goals. You can choose to mimic the routine of another person with similar goals or develop your own.

I prefer to workout on an empty stomach or something light. I simply don't want 16 oz. of food sloshing around my stomach when I'm moving around.
  • MichaelKarnes
    MichaelKarnes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think this is a personal thing. You have to figure out how you work out best. I need a little something and I know a gal who needs an empty stomach. To each their own here, I think.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have been doing my IF (intermittent fasting) for about five months now. At first it was just a way to help control my diet and eating patterns, so when I started weight lifting and cardio, I read up on fasted exercise to see if it was safe. It's definitely a thing, and there's good science behind it. Leangains dot com is a good place to read about the science of fasted training.