Salads yes or no!

Options
124»

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is greek salad. There is a diner right around the corner from me that makes the best greek salad I ever had. It's huge. I usually got one or two a week. Once I joined MFP I decided to figure out the calories of this salad. With the egg, the two stuffed grape leaves, and the grilled chicken on top (they give you about 8 oz) and I think I added the dressing, this salad was about 1000 calories. Only 1/3 or 1/4 of the calories were from the dressing.
    I haven't had one of these in over a month. I had already cut out the feta cheese and the pita bread, and got the dressing on the side. I'd love to have this salad again. I think I would have to also cut out the stuffed grape leaves, and dressing totally. I could use red wine vinegar (love it) or lemon juice and pepper. I'd have to recalculate the calories, and portion out the grilled chicken. But I do miss having this salad.
    I do make my own....romaine hearts, cucumber, hard boiled egg, onion, peppers with lemon juice and pepper for dressing. That can be very filling.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why did the lettuce blush?

Because he saw the salad dressing.

Sorry, will put away book of jokes for 5 year olds now :o

Heh, reminds me of hearing (at not much older): what did the mayonnaise say to the refrigerator? close the door I'm dressing.

Me: mommy, I don't get it.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to know that salads aren't always the best option (at restaurants, if you control the ingredients they can be very low cal).

That being said, I make my own Chicken Caesars with lots of Romaine Lettuce, Grilled Chicken (3-4oz), Tablespoon of Parmesan and Bolthouse Caesar dressing. Lots of flavor, filling and very low in calories.

I had to get creative with food when I was losing or I'd get frusterated and give up. I also learned that making my own was ALWAYS better.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have a salad everyday. I love them and will continue eating them when maintaining. I add light mayo, nothing wrong with that, just calculate it into my allowance.
  • ysoto2014
    ysoto2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will start going to the places that let me build my own. I mostly order them at restaurants and that was the feedback that they were not a great choice. I will ask that they not add the dressing and let me do it. Thanks for all the feedback!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ysoto2014 wrote: »
    I will start going to the places that let me build my own. I mostly order them at restaurants and that was the feedback that they were not a great choice. I will ask that they not add the dressing and let me do it. Thanks for all the feedback!

Dressing on the side is the way to do it. That lets you get the flavour of the dressing (dip your fork in it occasionally before spearing some veg) without drowning the salad in it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    "salad" is such a broad category its impossible to give a "yes or no" answer to it. A "salad" could be just a pile of spinach or it could be chicken bacon eggs ham and a pile of ranch dressing an a light smattering of iceburg lettuce.

Just count the calories and if you want to get more complicated than that try to fit your macros. Everything else is just unecessary dressing.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am in love with a no lettuce salad I've been making lately. Chopped up cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, and onions with a homemade olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. I have literally eaten 2 lbs of this before (not as much as it sounds like!) with a side of baked salmon for a macro beautiful meal. And obviously very filling :smiley:
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Personally, I make my own salads at home and eat burgers outside =)