Wear Your Weight

Options
So, on my evening walk tonight, I was headed towards my local Walmart, the entire way there and back, I got nothing back stares, glares and giggles from passing cars. Usually, I'd be teary eye'd and possibly call my hubby to come pick me up.

NOT THIS TIME!

These ignorant people fueled me enough to keep walking and inspired me to do something I'd NEVER do before...Wear my weight. Yup, you read that right, WEAR MY WEIGHT.

I got home, drank my good ol' H2O, mapped and logged my walk, then made a sign to wear from now on.

It looks similar to a marathon runner's number sign, only it's my weight. Yep, right there, out in the open, because I am not afraid of my weight anymore.

If these people want to stare, I will give them something to stare at. So, first thing tomorrow morning, I will attach these two signs to my shirt (both sides) with safety pins and the clear paper protector sheets and I will walk with my head held high and smile at ever car that drives by.

Some of you may say that I'm setting myself up to get hurt because these people have this to use against me, but they don't. As a great mfp friend said:
' I know I am working on my body, they dont. They are in my life for a blip of time and therefore have no right to say anything & if they do it has no bearing on my life. Their opinions of me will not supercede my opinion of me. I feel like too if someone has to make rude comments about another then they truly are self esteem challenged & want to bring others down to make them feel just as crappy as they do.'

Bru
wearweight.jpg

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bump.

I think that's awesome of you! Let 'em have it!
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    interesting.....you better patent that before someone steals it....
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I love this!

I have learned through this journey not to judge. I know people who are at their "ideal weight" but could not get on the treadmill and walk a 5k and heaven forbid run one. I still have 30 pounds to my goal weight and I can run a 5k (not in record time by any means) but I am proud of what I have learned my body can do. It is more fit than it has been in years and never in my life have I ever run over one mile.....not until I started taking care of myself, being proud of my body and seeing what great things I can accomplish....even though I still need to lose some weight. My body is great!
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Won't you feel great when that sign reads "I weigh 137"
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    That is very brave! Congratulations on taking control and taking action!

Give those morons something to look at.
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :) I was iffy about posting this for the fact that someone might steal it, but, what I am gonna do, seriously? I'd love to patent it, but not even sure, how, where, what for, etc. It would feel great Terri! Thanks all for the support!! <3
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Rock on! Thank you for showing embracing who we are, rather than who we are not.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome and inspiring. Good for you! I'm sure it will make them think differently!
  • heatherine
    heatherine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I have started running and HATE running down the road because people always have to scream at us, honk the horn or come way too close. What is it that bothers people so much?

Keep up the good work!! :D
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bru, I think this idea rocks.
    Possibly you could turn this into a "viral" happening (like those "viral" videos on Youtube) by putting an internet web address at the bottom of your sign - like your blog (or this web site if it is your favorite)? Put the rest of your message on your web site. Good luck!
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Good for you!!! I have started running and HATE running down the road because people always have to scream at us, honk the horn or come way too close. What is it that bothers people so much?

Keep up the good work!! :D

I never understood why runners would run on the road when there was a sidewalk. Now that I am a novice runner I understand how much easier it is on the joints to run on pavement rather than concrete.

I never tried to run anyone over or screamed at them...unless they were on the wrong side of the road....that is a pet peeve of mine.:laugh:
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!! I am sure that this is keeping you motivated! =)
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You go girl!!!!!!:laugh:
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    :smile: I just created a facebook group for now Thanks again all :flowerforyou:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=145&uid=129289590440537#!/group.php?gid=129289590440537
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Sooooo much respect for you! If you patent, make it like a dry-erase type shirt....so you can frequently change your number. You totally rock and I can't wait to hear about your adventure tomorrow. I think you should start blogging this dear one! Keep up the good work!:heart:
  • ellykay7
    ellykay7 Posts: 26
    Options
    Good for you!! That is very inspiring!!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    My bet is you will hear lots of "honks" in support! Good for you and keep up the GREAT work!
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This is very brave and very cool. It's great to see someone take a tough situation and turn it around. Go you. Please post something after your first walk with the signs. I think you have many of us curious. :smile:
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome idea. You rock.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is so cool. I just joined your FB group.

My story about this phenom - I used to go to a Karate school where some of the teachers would ignore me because of my "fatitude".

Most of the ignoring men teachers weren't that good as martial artist themselves but the worst was a gal who I think thought I might trip and break something due to my girth. Funny thing, just to be able to move my 215 thought the exerices, means I probably have more muscle under my fat than she did being super fit at 115 or so pounds.