Eating clean, then not.

So here's my situation. I ate perfectly clean for 2 days. Under calorie goal, a bit over on fiber, a bit over on protein. Fish, not red meat. Nothing deep fried, no take out. Lots of fruit and water only. I'd workout daily.

Well I got really busy so (stupidly) I sorta went back to old eating habits: Taco Bell, some McDs, Pizza, whatever was made for dinner (usually oily,) and not working out. Yada yada yada.

Well I feel like my body is rejecting that unhealthy lifestyle... After I eat, I get a bit nauseous and burp for like 30 minutes. Anyone else deal with this sort of thing? Generally I'm guessing the smart thing to do would be to get back on the wagon and see if my tummy feels better.

(When commenting, please keep in mind that I am hypochondriac and I have anxiety. Be light with your words, please. I honestly tend to take things out of proportion. I'd google my symptoms but it'll tell me I have a deadly disease and I would probably have a panic attack....)

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    You said that you were only eating "clean" for 2 days. How long were you off the wagon? Without knowing this, I am guessing that your instincts are correct... Get back to eating higher quality food and you'll probably feel better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    My stomach rejects fast food....

That said, there's nothing "unclean" about eating red meat or poultry (you can eat more than just fish) and your body needs more than just fruit and veg. You need to make sure you're getting enough dietary fat as well...think olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocado, etc. Your body needs that fat for proper organ function, brain function, regulation of hormones, heart health, and a host of other things. Just remember to be balanced in your dietary approach.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Wow, 2 days! WTG! Thanks for the giggle.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    This sounds more psychological if I had to take a guess. Also, how much of that food did you eat? Is it possible you over ate? Your body would likely be just fine with it had you kept it to a reasonable calorie level (2000ish?)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Two days ....... wow ....... make better food choices & move more ..... good luck :drinker:
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member

I'm 19. I've only begun my lifestyle change a few years ago.. That being said, I've only had the resources to purchase the healthy food I want as of a few days ago. Thanks for the support along with your sarcasm. We all started somewhere.
  • SillaWinchester
    This sounds more psychological if I had to take a guess. Also, how much of that food did you eat? Is it possible you over ate? Your body would likely be just fine with it had you kept it to a reasonable calorie level (2000ish?)

True! I'm big with the mind over matter and my mind loses control with these things. I most likely did overdo it. Thank you for the REAL answer. :)
  • SillaWinchester
    You said that you were only eating "clean" for 2 days. How long were you off the wagon? Without knowing this, I am guessing that your instincts are correct... Get back to eating higher quality food and you'll probably feel better.

I've been logging calories for two years, eating better for about 3 months. Began eating clean this week. Just got off the wagon for a few days. Thanks, I'll get back on the wagon!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    If this is really all true, including the fact that you're a hypochondriac, have anxiety and blow anything anyone says to you out of proportion, then I would stop reading this thread.

The last thing you want to do is post something like that to a bunch of strangers and expect not to have a bit of sarcasm come back at you (on this or any other website) And for you to have these mental issues on top of everything else...??

Oh, good lord.

BTW, just go back to the "clean" eating, or whatever it was. You seemed to feel better during that time. No, you're not dying and you don't have a disease.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    no ones is perfect, just try harder.
  • SillaWinchester
    My stomach rejects fast food....

That said, there's nothing "unclean" about eating red meat or poultry (you can eat more than just fish) and your body needs more than just fruit and veg. You need to make sure you're getting enough dietary fat as well...think olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocado, etc. Your body needs that fat for proper organ function, brain function, regulation of hormones, heart health, and a host of other things. Just remember to be balanced in your dietary approach.

Oh, sorry for that! I didn't mean to basically say red meat is unclean! I just don't much like red meat. I'm a white meat person! I'll take note and keep this all in mind. Thank you!
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    SillaWinchest: Yes, I have experienced exactly what you are saying and I don't think it's anything to worry about. I don't eat 100% clean but I do find that when I overeat the foods that are less healthy (i.e. pizza buffet yesterday!!) I have gastric issues and sometimes my stomach will even hurt/cramp. I also feel lethargic and drained. The best thing I've found is to get back on the wagon the next day, drink a lot of water, get some exercise and let your body take care of itself. Also, some Tums might help the immediate issues. The stomach problems serve to remind me exactly why I'm making these changes to take better care of myself because I hate feeling yucky!! Good luck on your journey!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Why don't you try eating "clean" like 75% of the time, then "normally" 25% of the time? Makes staying "on the wagon" easier.
  • SillaWinchester
    If this is really all true, including the fact that you're a hypochondriac, have anxiety and blow anything anyone says to you out of proportion, then I would stop reading this thread.

The last thing you want to do is post something like that to a bunch of strangers and expect not to have a bit of sarcasm come back at you (on this or any other website) And for you to have these mental issues on top of everything else...??

Oh, good lord.

BTW, just go back to the "clean" eating, or whatever it was. You seemed to feel better during that time. No, you're not dying and you don't have a disease.

True, diagnosed and dealing.

I honestly figured I'd get some sarcasm but I just wanted to hear a few opinions so I'm not hurt by it - just throwing sarcasm back these days.

Also, hearing how you put it puts things into perspective so thank you. Going back to what's worked for me.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    When I eat too much fat, my stomach gets a little upset. This is particularly true after I had my gall bladder removed. So I try not to do that. If you don't get sick after every meal (healthy or not) and you don't vomit I wouldn't worry about it. If it doesn't get better after some reasonably healthy meals, go to the doctor. I doubt you have anything life threatening, but you could have something like acid reflux that is very treatable, and there's no point in suffering.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchest: Yes, I have experienced exactly what you are saying and I don't think it's anything to worry about. I don't eat 100% clean but I do find that when I overeat the foods that are less healthy (i.e. pizza buffet yesterday!!) I have gastric issues and sometimes my stomach will even hurt/cramp. I also feel lethargic and drained. The best thing I've found is to get back on the wagon the next day, drink a lot of water, get some exercise and let your body take care of itself. Also, some Tums might help the immediate issues. The stomach problems serve to remind me exactly why I'm making these changes to take better care of myself because I hate feeling yucky!! Good luck on your journey!

Thank you so much! I'll have to get some Tums for those slightly off the wagon days. And I agree, this will serve as a great reminder to take better care. Good luck on your journey as well! :)
  • SillaWinchester
    Why don't you try eating "clean" like 75% of the time, then "normally" 25% of the time? Makes staying "on the wagon" easier.

Sounds like lovely proportioning to me, thank you!
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member

I'm 19. I've only begun my lifestyle change a few years ago.. That being said, I've only had the resources to purchase the healthy food I want as of a few days ago. Thanks for the support along with your sarcasm. We all started somewhere.

Haters gonna hate. Good job being so young and mindful of your health. I gained most of my weight after high school. EVERYONE on here knows how hard it is to start this journey. Keep up the good work, and don't let a slip-up stop you from being healthy in the future. Accept your failures, learn from them, then move on.
  • SillaWinchester
    When I eat too much fat, my stomach gets a little upset. This is particularly true after I had my gall bladder removed. So I try not to do that. If you don't get sick after every meal (healthy or not) and you don't vomit I wouldn't worry about it. If it doesn't get better after some reasonably healthy meals, go to the doctor. I doubt you have anything life threatening, but you could have something like acid reflux that is very treatable, and there's no point in suffering.

I'm going to clean up my meals and see if I see a change. (Lucky me, I haven't thrown up since my 10th birthday party! Hopefully that record keeps.) I get a lot of anxiety when it comes to doctors, but you're right, no point in suffering! Thank you.
  • SillaWinchester

Haters gonna hate. Good job being so young and mindful of your health. I gained most of my weight after high school. EVERYONE on here knows how hard it is to start this journey. Keep up the good work, and don't let a slip-up stop you from being healthy in the future. Accept your failures, learn from them, then move on.

Thank you so much for that! I graduated a year ago and I've finally snapped to a point where I KNOW I need to change.