Fatigue in the gym

Options
I've been feeling fatigued lately at the gym, can't lift as much, I'm doing upper/lower 4 days a week, cardio 6 days a week. Am I just hitting some sort of wall, should I lessen the cardio? Caffeine? Any suggestions would help, I'm also eating approx 1400 calories a day, I'm 180lbs lost 10lbs so far have another 10 to go. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not recovering enough and need to take a few rest days?
  • Tkb1331
    Tkb1331 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yea maybe it's the cardio, I think I'll try 5 days a week instead, thanks!
  • Acrawford01
    Acrawford01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When do you eat?? I find that if I eat a protein bar a half hour before working out, I have enough energy to get through my workout. Also, I chug water through my cardio. Then when I get home I have a protein shake. I don't know how tough your workouts are but maybe you just don't have enough nutrients in you close enough to your workouts to get through them.
    Lastly, I eat a substantial meal two hours before. I work out in the evening so I eat my dinner.. something like chicken and veggies at like 4pm or so and workout at like 630pm or so and have my protein bar at 6.
    This has all helped me. I had the same problem and it was due to not eating enough and not at the right time.
    Hope this helps!
  • Tkb1331
    Options
    You know what you're absolutely right, I usually don't eat anything before I go to the gym, it's hard trying to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time! Thanks, that was a big help
  • Acrawford01
    Acrawford01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No problem! For so long I wasn't eating anything and felt like poop at the gym. All the sudden, I changed my eating and hit my spinning class and rocked it! Amazing how that works!
  • Tkb1331
    Options
    I'll let you know how it goes
  • dillmilk
    dillmilk Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    1400 calories is very low. I would up calories to 1900 and since you're lifting weights also, I would only do cardio on off days.
  • jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yikes! 1400 calories a day is not enough if you do that much cardio and strength training. The fatigue is more than likely due to your body's need to recover. Try upping your intake for the next few weeks.

With the amount of working out you do it should have minimal impact on your weight gain. Gains will likely be muscle mass slowly building.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1400 calories is not enough for the training you are doing. Experiement: up it to 2000 and see how your sessions improve! Consume carbs approx 1 hour before your session
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    tbaker1331 wrote: »
    can't lift as much
    approx 1400 calories a day
    have another 10 to go

Losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously usually doesn't happen... If you're doing cardio 6 times a week then yeah you're losing a lot of fat... but you're probably losing some muscle as well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tbaker1331 wrote: »
    I've been feeling fatigued lately at the gym, can't lift as much, I'm doing upper/lower 4 days a week, cardio 6 days a week. Am I just hitting some sort of wall, should I lessen the cardio? Caffeine? Any suggestions would help, I'm also eating approx 1400 calories a day, I'm 180lbs lost 10lbs so far have another 10 to go. Thanks for your input!

that's your problem

Eat to fuel your body, rest to allow your body time to repair
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why on earth are you only eating 1400 cals?! :huh: :noway:
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    In case you missed the previous 10 answers, you need to eat a lot more. I'm 5'11 180 and am losing fairly rapidly on 2000 calories/day with a similar routine.
    If you're only 10 lbs from your goal, there's absolutely no reason to restrict that much.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Extreme weight loss, or
    Energy/gains.

Pick one. You can't have them both.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yeah echoing everyone... 1400 calories for a guy is extremely too low.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well I can see you're answer is quite clear.

1400 calories?

I eat more than that as a grown adult woman.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eat more, lessen the cardio.