Runners! My first race is coming up in 6 weeks! Should I go for the 10k or half marathon?!

Options
blueeyez939
blueeyez939 Posts: 35 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been running for a couple months now and want to try running in a "real" race just to see if I enjoy it and to see how my time compares to other women my age. I know I'm not gonna be anywhere near the front of the pack no matter which race I choose.... Lol but I want to pick the one that will have the best chance of me at least not coming in last! So, what do y'all think? I know there is a huge difference between 6.2 and 13 miles.... Lol but when I look at the times of women who ran the same race the last couple years, it seams like the half marathon has a lot more participants and a lot more times that are in the range of my goals where the 10k seemed to be a smaller group and even the slowest times would be pretty tough for me to keep up with.... I just can't decide and with $50 entry fees, I wanna make the best choice! Oh, one other thing! I have never ran more than probably 5 miles at a time, but I don't have any injuries or any body limitations. I have been reading up a lot and read that people with low resting heart rates tend to be better at endurance events rather than speed events, and I happen to have a extremely low heart rate, 30's while sleeping 50's while awake more of the time. So, that's another thing that makes me wonder if I wouldn't be better off going for the half marathon rather than the 10k Would love some opinion :-) thanks!

Replies

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Go for the 10K - your first race should usually be shorter than your current training distance, as your race inexperience might lead you to struggling with pacing, crowding, etc.

• kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Plan the race. Race the plan.

6 weeks from your planned race date is not enough time to change your game plan to a longer distance. Not sure what your weekly mileage is currently, but for the half-marathon distance your weekly mileage should be somewhere between 25 - 30 miles.

You'll have a much better racing experience if you stick with the 10k for which you've trained. Enjoy your race! Afterwards, you can start planning and training for a half.

Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Trying to ramp up to HM distances from 5 miles in 6 weeks is an injury waiting to happen. Personally I'd rather run a HM than a 5K or 10K (but I also run shorter races as benchmarks) as the pacing is completely different and you should keep that distance as a goal but you need time to prepare.
    Plan the race. Race the plan.

Agreed 100%!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    would you like paper cuts or apples?

I don't even understand how you can be asking this question- it doesn't make sense.

Have you been on a training plan? for a specific race?

then run that race.
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the posters above. Two months is not very long to be racing a 10k let alone a half.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I have never ran more than probably 5 miles at a time, but I don't have any injuries or any body limitations."

It will be very difficult for you to get the miles you should do in just 6 weeks to perform in a Half Marathon. What has been your total running mileage for the past several weeks? For the 8 weeks prior to my first half I ran between 25 and 32 miles per week. (long runs of 10, 13, 12 & 13) Are you close?

There is no shame in finishing last. Finishers, no matter the placement, beat all non-starters.
  • rethanon
    rethanon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been running 4 months and do 10K now, furthest I've run is 9.5 miles still don't feel like a half marathon is within my grasp yet - good to be ambitious but don't push yourself too hard. I'm reflecting on the fact that I'm now suffering from achilles tendinitis so don't take running for granted either! :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    you haven't run enough distance to do a HM in 6 weeks IMO, and you're focusing on all the wrong things if your goal is to beat as many people as possible in whichever race you're running.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, if you're planning to try to run the whole distance, the 10K is really the only option.

However, if you're planning to run/walk, you could consider the half, I think (but then you're probably not going to have a middle-of-the-pack kind of time.)
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't have any injuries or body limitations either, but I won't be climbing Mt Everest next month. Ok, I'm being snarky and extreme, but see how that line of thinking doesn't make sense? Just because you're not injured doesn't mean you can pick up and do just anything.

If you haven't raced anything at all yet, why not start with a 5K? It's short-ish, sure, but you can work on your speed and get a sense of what racing is like.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd choose the 10K for your first race, until you have more time on your feet. It's further than you've run so far. I wouldn't consider a half yet, although I know I could run/walk it, but I'd rather wait until I can safely run it. I'd say enjoy the 10K rather than possibly be miserable at the end of the half.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've known women who have run a half marathon on little to no training but they paid for it after the race. In one instance there were bloody feet. Why risk injuring yourself? You're should be in a good position for the 10K in six weeks, stick to that and don't worry about where you finish. Keep in mind the 10% rule as you're increasing mileage during training: never increase mileage from one week to the next by more than 10%.

Work out a half marathon plan and see when you'll be ready for one according to the plan then find a half marathon around that timeframe and go for it. For example, I'm regularly running 5 miles 3 times per week with another 6 to 7 mile run on the weekend. My training plan has me stepping up mileage until a half marathon that is planned for January. If you aren't running as much as I am now, then trying for a half marathon sooner than that is risky.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you do not have the miles logged for a HM certainly do NOT attempt an HM for your first race. All I can say is that common sense in making this decision is lacking (sorry)..

Gosh I hope you have an adequate training plan. If you go with HM I sure hope you have time for some moderate last week taper, you gonna need it.

IMHO your very first race ever, should be to just finish. So go luck with your decision.. curious what ya decide to do?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Go for the 10K and don't worry about placement. What's wrong with being last? Does this make something wrong with the person who is last? I was last in my first 5K. Way last. This year I ran it in half the time of 2 years ago. How cool is that?!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I doubt you'll get injured, but running very much longer than you are prepared for can produce a very special kind of suffering. Definitely the 10k.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Given that you haven't yet completed a 10Km training run this shouldn't even be a question.

Doubling your volume to reach a 10 mile run in four weeks, two weeks prior to the race, gives you a pretty high injury risk and quite probably an utterly miserable race experience.

To put that in context, before my first HM I'd done two ten milers and a thirteen miler in the month before the race. Before my first 10K I was running twelve to thirteen a couple of times per week and had run two ten milers in the training plan, although not particularly close to the race.

Run the 10K. If you come last it means someone else didn't, no more than that...
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @blueeyez939 Did we sufficiently scare you off from attempting the half-marathon? Hopefully you decide to stick with the 10k. :smile:

I hope you will return to the thread after your race and tell us about your experience! Running and racing is such great fun and a wonderful motivator! I always finish each race mentally (if not physically lol) ready for the next one!

Good luck to you!
  • blueeyez939
    blueeyez939 Posts: 35 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Scared off, to say the least..... Lol I understand that many of you don't understand my logic, think that I have no common sense, and think I'm racing for the wrong reasons, and that's fine..... I am racing for my own set of reasons, one of which is the satisfaction of being better than someone else at something. Is that not the heart of just about all true competitors to begin with? I understand a passion for what you do is the first key, but passion alone won't get you first place, passion plus will power does though. I don't know, I'm certainly not here to get anyone fired up or on a rant. But I'm a competitive person, when I am participating is something where there is a winner and a looser, I prefer to be the winner lol I don't see anything wrong with that. Not saying there is "something wrong" with being last either, it's just not for me, I refuse to be last at anything that is a reflection of my effort. Maybe I have never ran a race before, but I have participated is sports for years and I know the satisfaction of winning and the discouragement of getting your butt whooped... It's all part of the game, no matter what your game. And I agree, even in defeat you have to come out ready to do better next time. But, Im very strong willed and enjoy pushing myself, so I didn't think it was unreasonable to think I would be better off walk/running the whole half marathon and likely still end up getting a better position then exhausting myself to be lucky if I'm in the last 10% of the 10k. But, everyone sees things differently and I appreciate everyone telling me your honest thoughts