Runners! My first race is coming up in 6 weeks! Should I go for the 10k or half marathon?!

Options

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Scared off, to say the least..... Lol I understand that many of you don't understand my logic, think that I have no common sense, and think I'm racing for the wrong reasons, and that's fine..... I am racing for my own set of reasons, one of which is the satisfaction of being better than someone else at something. Is that not the heart of just about all true competitors to begin with? I understand a passion for what you do is the first key, but passion alone won't get you first place, passion plus will power does though. I don't know, I'm certainly not here to get anyone fired up or on a rant. But I'm a competitive person, when I am participating is something where there is a winner and a looser, I prefer to be the winner lol I don't see anything wrong with that. Not saying there is "something wrong" with being last either, it's just not for me, I refuse to be last at anything that is a reflection of my effort. Maybe I have never ran a race before, but I have participated is sports for years and I know the satisfaction of winning and the discouragement of getting your butt whooped... It's all part of the game, no matter what your game. And I agree, even in defeat you have to come out ready to do better next time. But, Im very strong willed and enjoy pushing myself, so I didn't think it was unreasonable to think I would be better off walk/running the whole half marathon and likely still end up getting a better position then exhausting myself to be lucky if I'm in the last 10% of the 10k. But, everyone sees things differently and I appreciate everyone telling me your honest thoughts

So your best bet then is to get to the front of the pack at the start line. You want to make sure you clear the crowding as quickly as possible. Most HMs are best handled on a slight negative split, so aim for an eight minute mile initially, and pick up the pace after the seven mile point.

It's easy to get caught up in slower movers at aid stations, so avoid stopping and don't take on any water or fuel. Slowing down to eat or drink disrupts your pace.

Have fun.

Make sure you do not have to pee.. stopping for that..is a time killer.

I had to pee for the last 5 miles of my first HM.... but all the toilet stops had MASSIVE queues so I wasn't having that!

I did too at mile 7.. can't believe it, I thought I was running on empty, so I thought..

The toilets were nasty and I was still trying to run while going.. it was a terrible experience. :(

Have to say that's one of the best things about trail races. Find a convenient tree...

I just leaked a little here and there. What with sweating and such, no one noticed.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    First even if you were consistently running 10 miles in your own I would not recommend a half marathon for a first race. It's obvious you have not put a lot of research into this.

Second A DNF is one of the worst feelings in the world. Be prepared to finish every race you start.

Third runners as a group tend to be very supportive and inclusive. Competition comes from beating your goal time or PRing. Running keeps you humble, people older and fatter than you will be faster than you.

Fourth I'm in thirties and have been racing since my mid twenties. It is very hard to place in my demographic because the fields tend to be huge. If I let my ability to place determine my motivation to race I would not run that many races.

Fifth injury rehab is expensive and painful and frustrating.

The smarter better choice is the 10k, you may need to learn the hard way.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Scared off, to say the least..... Lol I understand that many of you don't understand my logic, think that I have no common sense, and think I'm racing for the wrong reasons, and that's fine..... I am racing for my own set of reasons, one of which is the satisfaction of being better than someone else at something. Is that not the heart of just about all true competitors to begin with? I understand a passion for what you do is the first key, but passion alone won't get you first place, passion plus will power does though. I don't know, I'm certainly not here to get anyone fired up or on a rant. But I'm a competitive person, when I am participating is something where there is a winner and a looser, I prefer to be the winner lol I don't see anything wrong with that. Not saying there is "something wrong" with being last either, it's just not for me, I refuse to be last at anything that is a reflection of my effort. Maybe I have never ran a race before, but I have participated is sports for years and I know the satisfaction of winning and the discouragement of getting your butt whooped... It's all part of the game, no matter what your game. And I agree, even in defeat you have to come out ready to do better next time. But, Im very strong willed and enjoy pushing myself, so I didn't think it was unreasonable to think I would be better off walk/running the whole half marathon and likely still end up getting a better position then exhausting myself to be lucky if I'm in the last 10% of the 10k. But, everyone sees things differently and I appreciate everyone telling me your honest thoughts

So your best bet then is to get to the front of the pack at the start line. You want to make sure you clear the crowding as quickly as possible. Most HMs are best handled on a slight negative split, so aim for an eight minute mile initially, and pick up the pace after the seven mile point.

It's easy to get caught up in slower movers at aid stations, so avoid stopping and don't take on any water or fuel. Slowing down to eat or drink disrupts your pace.

Have fun.

We are getting a little cruel? It is entirely possible that blueeyez939 really has no clue about the subject and truly feels that she can "gut out" a Half Marathon extrapolating her 5/6 mile times . She has been advised, in no uncertain terms, that this is, if not impossible, highly unlikely. She came here asking for advise, naively believing that running a Half Marathon is no more difficult than running 5 or 6 miles only longer. She should have been dissuaded of that belief by now. If she came here looking for encouragement, she found out that that was misplaced. A Half Marathon is a very long way to run.

I don't think that blueeyez939 is disrespecting us, the race or the distance. I have a feeling that she truly does not know how far it really is and what effort is needed to complete it, much less have a winning/competing time.

blueeyez939, go out and run ten miles, Report back on how it went. Don't kill yourself in the effort, walk if necessary. Bring water and perhaps a gel packet or two. Take your cell phone to cell for a ride if needed. Don't go out alone without telling someone your route. Stick to that route. Start you first mile slowly, then pick up your pace to the rate you think will satisfy your need to beat someone else. In my first Half Marathon the women's division was won with a 6:52 minute mile pace (1:30:03) This is a good place to start, as a test run. ;-) Hang on to the pace for as long as possible. Let us know how far you went. Remember 10K is less than half way home on a Half Marathon. After 10 miles you still have 5K to go.

Come back and tell us how that 10 mile run went.

Everyone else is getting cruel so you suggest OP tries 10 miles at 6:52 pace.... :laugh:

TBH her second post doesn't show she has taken any notice of the advice of the seasoned runners here on MFP so kitteh gifs aren't going to be far away when people refuse point blank to listen to advice...

Yeah, she said she wants to win. Figured she'd get to the first two or three miles and have an epiphany. Better on a training run. I told her to let others know her route and to bring her cell phone. ;-)

Our marathon in March is a duel whole (Boston Qualifier) and a half. If you want to divert from the whole to the half they would still time and place you..

Wonder if the half has a divert to 5K? Dunno...

Don't you mean when OP decides to do the full... it's only a marathon after all!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Have fun.

I had to pee for the last 5 miles of my first HM.... but all the toilet stops had MASSIVE queues so I wasn't having that!

I did too at mile 7.. can't believe it, I thought I was running on empty, so I thought..

The toilets were nasty and I was still trying to run while going.. it was a terrible experience. :(

Have to say that's one of the best things about trail races. Find a convenient tree...

Yeah I thought a dude would come on and say how easy it was for them!

Maybe I should wear depends this coming year... LOL
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In my first Half Marathon the women's division was won with a 6:52 minute mile pace (1:30:03) This is a good place to start, as a test run. ;-) Hang on to the pace for as long as possible. Let us know how far you went. Remember 10K is less than half way home on a Half Marathon. After 10 miles you still have 5K to go.

If you want to win, you have to be able to beat everyone. In my last local half, the fastest woman finished in 70:21 minutes. That's 5:22 pace...
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Have fun.

We are getting a little cruel? It is entirely possible that blueeyez939 really has no clue about the subject and truly feels that she can "gut out" a Half Marathon extrapolating her 5/6 mile times . She has been advised, in no uncertain terms, that this is, if not impossible, highly unlikely. She came here asking for advise, naively believing that running a Half Marathon is no more difficult than running 5 or 6 miles only longer. She should have been dissuaded of that belief by now. If she came here looking for encouragement, she found out that that was misplaced. A Half Marathon is a very long way to run.

I don't think that blueeyez939 is disrespecting us, the race or the distance. I have a feeling that she truly does not know how far it really is and what effort is needed to complete it, much less have a winning/competing time.

blueeyez939, go out and run ten miles, Report back on how it went. Don't kill yourself in the effort, walk if necessary. Bring water and perhaps a gel packet or two. Take your cell phone to cell for a ride if needed. Don't go out alone without telling someone your route. Stick to that route. Start you first mile slowly, then pick up your pace to the rate you think will satisfy your need to beat someone else. In my first Half Marathon the women's division was won with a 6:52 minute mile pace (1:30:03) This is a good place to start, as a test run. ;-) Hang on to the pace for as long as possible. Let us know how far you went. Remember 10K is less than half way home on a Half Marathon. After 10 miles you still have 5K to go.

Everyone else is getting cruel so you suggest OP tries 10 miles at 6:52 pace.... :laugh:

TBH her second post doesn't show she has taken any notice of the advice of the seasoned runners here on MFP so kitteh gifs aren't going to be far away when people refuse point blank to listen to advice...

Yeah, she said she wants to win. Figured she'd get to the first two or three miles and have an epiphany. Better on a training run. I told her to let others know her route and to bring her cell phone. ;-)

Our marathon in March is a duel whole (Boston Qualifier) and a half. If you want to divert from the whole to the half they would still time and place you..

Wonder if the half has a divert to 5K? Dunno...

Don't you mean when OP decides to do the full... it's only a marathon after all!

I should have made it clearer!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    In my first Half Marathon the women's division was won with a 6:52 minute mile pace (1:30:03) This is a good place to start, as a test run. ;-) Hang on to the pace for as long as possible. Let us know how far you went. Remember 10K is less than half way home on a Half Marathon. After 10 miles you still have 5K to go.

If you want to win, you have to be able to beat everyone. In my last local half, the fastest woman finished in 70:21 minutes. That's 5:22 pace...

Might depend on the course and its hills, no? I was pacing her on a hilly course. If its flat, you're right, 6:52 won't be fast enough. ;- )
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Have fun.

And don't forget your SheWee! :lol:
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Have fun.

That is funny.
    Hey I have teenagers who have to learn the hard way. ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Have fun.

We have LGBT friendly trees. Nobody cares.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Have fun.

I am both laughing and speechless at the same time...that's rare.. I mean for me to be speechless.. :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Have fun.

I am both laughing and speechless at the same time...that's rare.. I mean for me to be speechless.. :)

If you're going to pee in the forest, woman, you need one of these! It's the great equalizer, lol.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Definitely do the 10k. I've done a half marathon I didn't train properly for, I got hurt and couldn't run for months afterwards.
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think you should skip both and just do a full marathon. You got this.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Have fun.

If you're going to pee in the forest, woman, you need one of these! It's the great equalizer, lol.

Doesn't it have potential to be painful if used incorrectly like when used in a quick hurry, like running races, I am in it to win it.. LOL
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I'm a girl who runs trails, and squatting by a tree works really well when nature calls!! (Just hope and pray it's only #1 and not #2!!) :open_mouth: Besides, helping with hills and improving your derriere, it's another reason to do your squats!! LOL!!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I'm a girl who runs trails, and squatting by a tree works really well when nature calls!! (Just hope and pray it's only #1 and not #2!!) :open_mouth: Besides, helping with hills and improving your derriere, it's another reason to do your squats!! LOL!!

I have squatted behind a bushes and trees quite a few times on longer training runs that take me off road. I know just where to get to on that 9th or 10th mile far far from home..

Now doing this during a race that's what fun.. :)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Have fun.

clearly your an amateur if you can't whip it out and pee while you're running.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Have fun.

try the thinx panties- less bulk than depends. LOL (I kid I kid)

Although all jokes aside- I use them for my lifting- lifting + big lifts + belt = piddle.
    either pee
    use pads
    or now I use thinx.
    MUCH less embarrassing- and MUCH more comfortable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Have fun.

clearly your an amateur if you can't whip it out and pee while you're running.

No, but I am a girl, so there's nowt to whip out... :laugh: